Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2015, 05:00 PM
speach (Simon)

eqmod hand control

I seem to have all the programmes and bits and pieces running ok for me to happily snap away at the night sky, but there is one complaint, to use the computers screen to control the mount while using the finder scope to get an alignment is a pain in the ****. What I'm asking is there a way that the mount can be controlled while at the eye piece. I know about the game pad option but it doesn't want to work on my system, cannot get the thing, gamepad or computer, to load the M.S. drivers for it. I've spent the last 3 days installing the drivers uninstalling them looking at YouTube vids doing what they recommended, up to now it's a big NO GO. So is there another joystick, mouse, whatever that can be used in EQMOD to control the mount?
Because using the finder scope and the computer screen is going to send me to an early grave or a mental intuition.
:qu estion:
Old 10-11-2015, 05:19 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Simon

I have the same problem, but more for adjusting whilst drift aligning.
One thing i have found is if the Hbx is left in place and used in PC Direct mode, the Hbx slew keys are actually still active.
The manual also notes this feature.
I have used the keys to move the scope whilst in PCDirect mode
and whilst it does work, i sometimes get cases where it starts to move but wont stop, unless i repress and release the slew key.
I suspect this is due to the fact that EQMOd polls the mount at a very high rate for position, and maybe this upsets the Hbx processing.

Andrew
Old 10-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I have the same issue!
I have canvassed for the past few year for someone to produce a basic Eqmod controller - nothing fancy the usual four arrow keys and two or three buttons.
Any takers????
Old 10-11-2015, 06:04 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

I think your best bet would be to persevere and get a game pad working. It works for me and it's awesome. I've used two different controllers, a cheap usb one and a wireless xbox360 pad, and I don't remember setting them up being all that difficult. Does Windows recognise the gamepad when it's plugged in? (in device manager?)
Old 10-11-2015, 06:24 PM
speach (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
I think your best bet would be to persevere and get a game pad working. It works for me and it's awesome. I've used two different controllers, a cheap usb one and a wireless xbox360 pad, and I don't remember setting them up being all that difficult. Does Windows recognise the gamepad when it's plugged in? (in device manager?)
No it comes up with the ! in a yellow triangle. The main problem is that the drivers only half install, which is enough to say they are installed but then the device when you go to use it says there are no drivers.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:47 PM
glend (Glen)

I simply gave up. I switched to Sky Safari Pro on Android tablet connected to the mount via Nexus wifi, this gives me precise control at the finderscope and when framing the camera for imaging. The only drawback is the need to still do initial alignment with the Syncscan hand controller, after that I'm on the tablet. Works sell for me. I guide once on target so I don't really need eqmod and ascom now.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:59 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Hi Simon

Have you thought about a USB hub on your mount? That would then give you ports for your cameras and a spare one for your mouse. Then just use a mouse at the mount. I've been using this method for years via EQMOD, once you're done at the mount unplug the mouse and move back to your laptop.

Hope that helps.

Wayne
Old 11-11-2015, 06:17 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

What about a wireless keyboard with touch pad through the PC Direct option mentioned further up ? I use one for the Sound system at home, no mouse to lose and the keyboard is quite compact. Just need to be able to see the screen for confirmation.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:15 AM
speach (Simon)

Sorry but these solutions still rely on me looking at the computer screen which is the thing I don't want to do. It's about 3 m from the scope. Yes I've got a hub. The real nub of the matter is; looking through the finder scope to align the scope would be very much easier if the mount can be moved without leaving the scope.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:54 AM
glend (Glen)

Just put a webcam on your finderscope and then you can sit at the computer with it displayed. I am actually considering this due to my recent vertigo event which prevented all the head canting gymnastics required of using a finderscope.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:29 AM
speach (Simon)

Now that's an idea, go up there now and try it out
Old 11-11-2015, 11:30 AM
speach (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Just put a webcam on your finderscope and then you can sit at the computer with it displayed. I am actually considering this due to my recent vertigo event which prevented all the head canting gymnastics required of using a finderscope.
Now that's an idea, going up there now to try it out.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:57 AM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

I repurposed a wired game pad from an old PlayStation and got a USB adapter off eBay and works fine. I can centre the star in the finder while having the gamepad in hand. You can also program the various keys for speeding up slewing speed and synch and cancel etc.
Bo
Old 11-11-2015, 03:38 PM
speach (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
I repurposed a wired game pad from an old PlayStation and got a USB adapter off eBay and works fine. I can centre the star in the finder while having the gamepad in hand. You can also program the various keys for speeding up slewing speed and synch and cancel etc.
Bo

Yep that's what I want to do
Old 11-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I have an NEQ6pro working under EQmod and have similar problems....
Well not really - I still use the arrow keys on the Synscan handcontroller to position the target. Touch wood no issues of conflict so far.....

I also installed a 200mm/ f4 Zuiko lens with an ATiK16 camera to act as an electronic finder which I can use from the remote "warm" room.
It's handy, as the plate scale of the "guider scope" image is suitable for Plate Solving!!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:48 AM
speach (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
I have an NEQ6pro working under EQmod and have similar problems....
Well not really - I still use the arrow keys on the Synscan handcontroller to position the target. Touch wood no issues of conflict so far.....

I also installed a 200mm/ f4 Zuiko lens with an ATiK16 camera to act as an electronic finder which I can use from the remote "warm" room.
It's handy, as the plate scale of the "guider scope" image is suitable for Plate Solving!!
How do you use the synscan hand controller and EQMOD?
Old 12-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Connecting EQMod via the Synscan hand controller, still allows the directional arrows to be used on the Synscan. Not recommended by Chris as he feels there may be "interference" but it's never happened to me in over four years.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:26 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Simon

If you read my post above ( # 2 ), i mentioned the ability of the slew keys to be used when in PCDirect mode.
The only drawback i have seen so far is sometimes a slew wont stop when you release the slew key. Repressing and releasing the key stops it.
Its rare, but it has happened to me at times.

Andrew
Old 12-11-2015, 09:41 AM
JoelyE95 (Joel)

Simon,
I have my PS4 controller hooked up via bluetooth for this purpose. Apparently you can also use a XBOX 360 controller and maybe the XBOX One controller.

With the PS4 controller, I have it programmed so that the light bar shows me the controllers battery charge by having a different coloured light and can use the trackpad as a mouse. Only problem I have is that I can't get one of the triggers to work as a dead man switch. EQMOD recognises the press of the trigger to configure it, but it just doesn't work as a dead man switch.

If you are interested more, I can go on in detail.

Joel

Last edited by JoelyE95; 12-11-2015 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 12-11-2015, 12:26 PM
speach (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelyE95 View Post
Simon,
I have my PS4 controller hooked up via bluetooth for this purpose. Apparently you can also use a XBOX 360 controller and maybe the XBOX One controller.

With the PS4 controller, I have it programmed so that the light bar shows me the controllers battery charge by having a different coloured light and can use the trackpad as a mouse. Only problem I have is that I can't get one of the triggers to work as a dead man switch. EQMOD recognises the press of the trigger to configure it, but it just doesn't work as a dead man switch.

If you are interested more, I can go on in detail.

Joel
Thanks, the xbox 360 controller I got from ebay (wired) refuses to work on my lappy, also have a wireless one but that needs more hardware to work. So at the min I'm thinking of getting a Logitech game pad.
Yes I'm interested in your setup.