Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 04-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Stefannebula (Stefan)

Astrophotography: Refractor or Reflector?

A heated question I know, but i'm really stuck

Just getting started in Astrophotography (Of DSOs) and i'm looking to get an OTA for ~$1000. I know its a heated topic, but i was just wondering if i could get some input in relation to the question: Reflector or Refractor?

I understand each has there strengths and weaknesses, but i cannot decide.

I'm leaning more toward refractor (SW ED80) for it's small size, nice FOV and forgivingness to tracking error. But at the same time it's a fairly slow scope at F7, which to my knowledge will require longer exposures?

A Reflector is attractive because of how cheap it is, but from what i've heard is a little harder for a beginner to use. Plus I already have a 10" dob and i feel like something smaller would be welcome

I guess I'd just like to hear some direct options? I've heard great things about small refractors, but I'm just not 100% sure yet :/

Any replies would be much appreciated.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:31 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi Stefan,

have you got a mount? that is the most important piece of the puzzle ..

cheers

russ
Old 04-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Stefannebula (Stefan)

Yeah made sure to get that first!
Got an NEQ6, so it shouldn't be a problem for either choice correct?
And I'll be using a Canon 700D for the time being too if that influences the decision..
Thanks Russell
Old 04-11-2015, 02:35 PM
JZ (Ross)

Refractor or Reflector?

Hi Stefan,

Your NEQ6 and 700D are a good start, but for photography there are lots of other bits you will need to look at, such as a field flattener for a refractor or coma corrector for a newtonian. A fast scope (F5 or better) is good but an ED 80 or similar is a good starting point too but needs a flattener. There are some faster refractors around but they cost $$$. I started with a 65mm F6.5 refractor with a built in flattener and I still love that scope for wide field but am now coming to grips with an F5 newt. A decent focuser is going to cost me 25% more than the scope did!
Then you need to look at guiding as the mount will not be perfect so a guide scope and camera will cost extra.

Keep an eye out here in IIS and you will see scopes going from time to time, like this one http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=139969 which would be a great start.

Good luck,
Ross...
Old 04-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Stefannebula (Stefan)

Thanks very much for the Reply Ross!

I forgot to mention I've already got an Orion Awesome Autoguider, which i'm guessing will do the job..
Been looking at some other refractor options and I've found the Zenithstar71 F5.9, that comes with a .8 focal reducer. It's also cheaper than the Ed80, Seems like that could be a good option perhaps?
Thanks,
Stefan
Old 04-11-2015, 03:38 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi Stefan,

no worries; you have a mount that could hold up to about 10" newt (f4). I can't comment on refractors as I don't have one, the ED80s get a good wrap though.

If you do decide to go a newt i'd suggest an 8" f5 its fast and a lot more forgiving than f4. its also pretty cheap which means you can pump money into a quality focuser - that is very important when imaging. eg http://focuser.com/products.php it also has a nice field of view. if you were happy with a stock focuser you could also spend more and get a carbon fibre tubed variety.

I'll let others comment on the refractor options. however it may be worth visiting an astro society to compare side by side.

cheers

russ
Old 04-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefannebula View Post
Been looking at some other refractor options and I've found the Zenithstar71 F5.9, that comes with a .8 focal reducer. It's also cheaper than the Ed80, Seems like that could be a good option perhaps?
Stefan, I have the Zenithstar, with the WO reducer/flattener it becomes ~f/4.7. I had a lot of fun with mine last year when I started imaging, at such a short focal length there's lots of good stuff to suck in one little fly in the ointment is that I got some blue halos around bright stars. You might have some luck with a fringe killer but I haven't tried one. Otherwise, it's a lovely little scope, k now use it as my guide scope

More importantly it depends on what objects you're most interested in imaging. The image scale is quite different with a scope of 350mm and 1000mm.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Robert9 (Robert)

Hi Stefan. I have an ED100 which is a lovely scope. Although f9, I don't have trouble with longer exposure times on a guided mount (HEQ5Pro). A refractor is IMO easier to maintain than a reflector - no collimation needed, no dirty mirrors to access. Where the refractor misses out is in aperture for buck. The larger apertures of a reflector will give better resolution. But..... for a beginner I'd still be looking at the refractor. You can pick them up 2nd hand and virtually always they're in good condition prob. because they're so easy to look after. (eg. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=139796). I took this shot lat May from my back yard when I last managed a clear night when I was home.
http://astrob.in/182680/B/
Robert

Last edited by Robert9; 05-11-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:35 AM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Hi Stephan,
+1 for ED 80, they are easy to set up and operate. A 200mm f5 Newtonian would be the second choice but you need to think about back focus with DSLR and reflectors.
I found Backyard EOS to be indispensable (next to Stellairum and EQ dir cable) for computerised control of the whole set up.
Will you be popping by Snake Valley this weekend? Plenty of gear to look at and friendly people to talk to.
Bo