Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-04-2019, 01:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Eta peanut butter.

You just have to have a funny name for an old favorite

I don't get tired of this object and during the shoot between the clouds it was my fall back ..did want a Lobster for Easter but I only managed more common fare but it is an object that one should not take for granted.

Still not a proper image in so far as exposure times on the lastest data was a minute and the earlier data from February was all 30 seconds...gain was way past what one should use (up to 450 and nothing under 250 from recollection) and no darks or flats or darks for the flats that I never took

Probably 3 hours stacked.

Managed something from all channels but again not done the right way as I was getting what I could when I could...managed many Sii and I was happy with that stack even though short exposure and high gain...I thank the camera for being so forgiving.

Anyways took two nights and two days to stack..and the first completed stack and startools processed subs had to be thrown out cause I mucked up alignment proceedures and it took me from 3 yesterday till 2 am to run everything through startools and photoshop. Left me tired as I slept in until 11 am

Managed a better approach to colour doing it more or less the right way but must say I did colour in bits..I tried to be absolutely minimalistic with colour..maybe too much so...and probably used the burn tool a bit too much as you can tell if you rev the image up and I did colour in some stars in an effort to lift the image because it just seemed flat to me...put some nice round coloured in stars in the corners for those who like to look at the corners..I know I do.

Turned the saturation way way down and then turned it down some more so it will be interesting to see what it looks like here. The image looks flat but I just cant make it pop even with all my little tricks.

Lots to improve upon but one thing I must say ..Startools does an incredible job of fixing oval stars.just unbelievable.. I nearly threw out the Feb data cause the stars were like footballs but Startools did a magic job via the repair function...also I don't know what others think but the noise is way better than I could do only 12 months ago..thanks to Startools..no preplanned dither but data was from three different nights and two of those nights was with poor tracking...soooo.....I badly need to adjust the scope either distance to sensor or tilt is a grave issue but heck after a fix in star tools it can wait

I submit two photos one hopefully is ok as not too saturation the other I liked but suspect when it is up it will be crazy saturation.

Overall I am very happy with the set up that produced this and rather surprised the detail for such a small scope.

Set up..Espirt 80mm with 2.5 foot baffeled dew tube ( a life saver given the dew and fog and to help exclude those little garden lights), ZWO Mono cooled camera(minus 15 degrees) with R,B,G,Lum,Oii,Sii,Ha filters, Magic HEQ5aligned with polemaster, Orion guide scope and ZWO Camera was not used to guide but heck it looks great on the scope...120 amp hour 12 volt battery charged via 120 watt solar panel with built in regulator, 200 watt inverter,short extention lead running into a 5 point 240 power outlet, little power hungry Lappy with a throw over silver dew cover, small picnic table( four legs each of which reach the ground) and cane garden chair also with four legs..focus via manually controlled electric focuser using a bat mask...and I could not have done any of it without my trusty little head lamp and blacked out walking stick.

Thanks for taking the time to read this far.

alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (etaphotoshop1.jpg)
217.8 KB86 views
Click for full-size image (etaphotoshop2.jpg)
216.4 KB63 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 22-04-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 23-04-2019, 09:57 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Nice images and great name Alex even though I don’t eat the stuff
I too never get tired of imaging this huge Nebula , it has so much to offer
It’s been cloudy for a few days down here but I might get out Wednesday night between 9.30pm and 3.00am ( cloud cover is only suppose to be 5 to 20%) , my last night for at least 3 weeks as I’m OS
Cheers
Old 23-04-2019, 10:44 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Totally wild peanut butter. Got that oily marble mix happening.
Old 24-04-2019, 04:20 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The Great Evans Palette sure is...unique
Old 24-04-2019, 06:49 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks everyone. Just got in the door back in Sydney.
Lewis are you making fun of a colour blind man☺.
Eventually I will sort the colour out but it is on a long long list of things to get right.
The little 80mm absolutely blows me away. Using the dslr I was not happy to be honest but with the zwo the detail is way past anything I expected.
I should have purchased your little scope as I would be months ahead now.
Coming down today I am thinking the RASA 8inch is the way to go ...so in order to fund same I announce that I am available for speaking engagements...actually thinking about my fee that should be singular☺
Thanks again folks.
Alex
Old 24-04-2019, 07:07 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

You've thrown every filter at it Alex!
Out of curiosity, how were you mapping the SII, Ha and OIII?

I'd guess that you're going for the SHO (RGB) palette with the green tinge.

What you could try when you get a chance is:
L+Ha as a master luminance
R+Ha+SII as a master red
G+OIII as a master green
B+OIII as a master blue

This could approximate an enhanced RGB image
Old 24-04-2019, 07:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks for your input Colin.
I stack everything for a foundation and add stuff☺. I dont know what you mean by mapping thats how raw I am.
I dont know what I am doing you see...I am trying to get detail firstly and not worried about colour yet. .I worry that being so old that I could snuff it any day so it's a frantic rush ahead of where I should be.
I have so many things to fix and have two rigs which was a mistake.
Plus running up and back North and not having what I class as a home..well I have multiple propetties but not place I can stay at all the time...so that really is a problem...because of folk I have to look after...if I had a permanent address all would be better..but its not about me its about the folk who depend on me...so thats why I am so scattered.
My life expectancy was only a couple of more years but that may have changed. I will know more soon but it looks good..but heck I am still looking down the barrel of not much time really.
Still at my age there is not much left really so thats why I am so full on..hope you understand.
Alex
Old 25-04-2019, 08:10 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Saying multiple properties is probably misleading as folk could think I own sheep stations..what I mean is I have three places that I can visit where I could put a caravan so to speak.
I had to abanndon my old place to basically live in Sydney to be near my father.
Alex
Old 30-04-2019, 05:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am having another go at this...looking at my data I have stuff with insanely high scores..I thought 200000 was the highest but I just saw one ar 350000 ...this means star count right???? but must indicate a good image..or as I jokingly said maybe I am counting rain drops. ..anyways I am going to redo it using only this good data and try the mapping as suggested...I would like to get a handle on this.
Alex