Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-04-2019, 01:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Space expanding..not around here.

We are all going to die but worse still our gallaxy is headed to what will presumably be the end.

Beware of the great attractor☺.

Hope you all like this vid showing the activity of the local galaxy cluster.
https://youtu.be/v1qBHdyIIP0

Alex
Old 17-04-2019, 01:54 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Beware of the great attractor☺.
Your charms don't work on me Alex
Melania Trump, or that Fairy chick though...
Old 17-04-2019, 02:11 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
We are all going to die but worse still our gallaxy is headed to what will presumably be the end........

Alex
Alex you crack me up. "Worse still..."? Of course the galaxy will end one day, and why should we care? Doesn't L Ron Hubbard have all the answers we need?
Old 17-04-2019, 03:24 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Alex you crack me up. "Worse still..."? Of course the galaxy will end one day, and why should we care? Doesn't L Ron Hubbard have all the answers we need?
I guess talking about him does not offend the tos as to not posting on religion.

I wonder if this observation of everything going to the attractor can be mirrored elsewhere in the universe..well it must of course...I know that is an unevidenced assumption but it is the most reasonable unevidenced assumption I know of ...it does not take much to be more reasonable than Hubbard for example...so do we have this sort of thing going on all over the universe?

It must..now there is a paper for someone observe all the galaxies in the observable universe and plot all the places they will all end up.

Even though the video covers a mind mumbing huge region that huge region is just a small speck in the universe...and then there is that huge galaxy the name of which escapes me that is huge..I need to check but 6 million light years across??? Maybe such is a result of this attractor type opperation.

Still given the fate that is before us I say we start making plans to move to someplace where we won't get sucked in☺.Think of the future generations and act now.

But how does this fit with the space is expanding thing?

Sure we end up with a huge galaxy but the space around ..you know out there where expansion is gteater than gravity...is it really expanding?

If so we end up with mega galaxies all flying away from each other...mmm think about that while you wait patiently for your subs to come in...I like looking up and realising out of the billions of object I probably only can see a couple of thousand by eye...imagine if one could see them all...it would be just like looking at a white sheet...and that is only on our limited visual spectrum a mind nbimgly small fraction of the EMS.
So what to have for dinner..may as well go overboard seeing all the galaxies are colliding.
Alex
Old 24-04-2019, 07:56 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am inclinded to question that the universe is indeed expanding.
Tired light has been dismissed perhaps too hastely...lets face it if the universe is not expanding our current cosmology is not correct.
I understable the doppler effect but what evidence do we have to suggest that light gets stretched via an expandimg universe.
Now come on folks I am playing devils advocate at risk of death so surely we can have a neat discussion on cosmology before I am taken out ☺
Alex
Old 24-04-2019, 08:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Note.
The big bang theory is a model that lives and dies on its predictions..it made a prediction about the abundance of light elements but in respect of lithium that prediction has failed ergo the model fails..what say you☺
Alex
Old 25-04-2019, 08:23 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I could only find one paper which says the lithium was there but has been absorbed and therefore the prediction of light elements is correct.
Cosmology is such an interesting subject I am surprised there is no interest here however cosmology is not astronomy.
Alex
Old 25-04-2019, 01:27 PM
easternSea (Matthew)

Hello Alex,

I think one of the great comforts of Einstein's predictions comes from one of his professors, Hermann Minkowski.

He noticed that Einstein's spacetime causality equations looked somewhat similar to 3D distance equations. He then posited the idea of Minkowski space (a snappy name from a guy called Minkowski) where everything exists in a 4D framework and what we see as time is simply a result of existing on a 3D membrane floating through it.

As you are aware, this sounds awfully similar to some of the interpretations of M-Theory. But oddly enough, I can't find anything suggesting Minkowski's ideas informed Witten in his unification of String Theory. Not sure if this is just kismet or oversight in reporting.

Anyway, the cool thing with Minkowski space is that the end (crunch, tear, heat death etc) exists and has always existed in some respect with as much causal effect as today has. And so does now and yesterday.

It's like living in an alien painting or sculpture and I find it a neat framework to ponder these things. Certainly makes the concept of causality easier to swallow.

-Matt
Old 25-04-2019, 08:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I think what we do forget however is that as theories must rely on a coordinate system it will of course be fundamentaly a co ordinate system.
And it does a good job...as far as we know...personally I believe the notion of extrapolation of the first observations of expansion produced a model that later needed an extraoridinary additional expansion know in this phase as inflation to reach the extrapolation expected in that first observation...
I doubt the coordinate fundamental of gr even though I dont understand it at all...a qualification that makes my thoughts somewhat usless..does more than track the expectations of person creating a universe...after all gr is geometry and so can be used in support of propositions obviously...if I knew how to use it I could demonstrate something which I may be wrong about..confussed yet..I am☺...however in my view the desire to find evidence of an expanding universe could possibly lead to a misinterpretation of data to interpret the universe is expanding when it actually not be expanding simply as without that observation we can only re consider a steady state universe meaning the universe that is eternal and needs not a point of creation.. .I find that satisfying perhaps as satisfying as others found the concept of a cosmic egg..we think we know but I wonder if it could be infinite and eternal and cares not about our attempt to give it a finite story. Infinite and eternal makes sense to me...its flatness suggests it is infinite and if infinite it must be eternal...

Alex
Old 25-04-2019, 08:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am of course looking for application of our science in order not to threngthen it...or you sckill to present it☺
Anything to discuss cosmology..it wont go anywhere without a devils afvocate position to consider what we know.
Alex