Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-04-2019, 08:45 PM
Sparksinspace (Steve)

Evolution was not born from the preservation of the weak. [/QUOTE]

But it was, If it wasn't for weak differences and mutations then evolution could not happen

If there was no weak then how could the fittest survive?
Old 19-04-2019, 09:00 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksinspace View Post
But it was, If it wasn't for weak differences and mutations then evolution could not happen

If there was no weak then how could the fittest survive?
Key word " preservation ".

Once an evolutionary leap was made ( mutation ) the species didn't then halt its progress to look after less evolved species.... It continued to evolve.
Old 19-04-2019, 09:01 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
I think it should be restored in its original state, although with modern construction techniques. It is not anymore possible to fell thousands of oaks for the trusses of the roof. There are no construction workers available to do this 13th century style construction work.
The roof frame was original but the spire that burned down was built in 1860 or there about as most of the back. The front is original and unaffected. I read they salvaged all the important stuff inside on time. A lot of donations have been made nationaly and internationaly for repair. It is a golden opportunity for Macron to try to polarise and reunite the population as there is a lot of unrest in France at the moment. All the corporates and noble families in France are apparently outbidding each other with hundred of millions of euros for the reconstruction chest. These sums are 66% tax write off, so the state is at a loss. There is growing anger from people in the street who have been trying to make both ends meet and were repeatidely told the money wasn't available for support.The media was quick to jump on it to televise the whole thing. Bottom line is the fire happened because of lack of funding and skilled people in the restoration process.
Old 19-04-2019, 09:04 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
There seems be a tether being drawn between religion and Catholicism.

<SNIP>

Evolution was not born from the preservation of the weak.

I'd 2n'd all that. Well said.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (yep.jpeg)
9.6 KB13 views
Old 19-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Sparksinspace (Steve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
I'd 2n'd all that. Well said.
perhaps another forum at another time.
Don't want it turning into "one of those threads" that gets shutdown.
I am definitely not a religious man but definitely not an atheist either.

However you look at it, It is a shame that history has been destroyed
Old 19-04-2019, 09:24 PM
Exfso (Peter)

this post as usual has gone off at a tangent.
Old 19-04-2019, 09:48 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Sounds like Macron is hoping an international design competition will have a result , at least an image, that will mesh with the summer Paris olympics in 2024.

However quoting the abc report. :

‘Prominent French conservation architect Pierluigi Pericolo told Inrocks magazine it could take triple that time.

"No less than 15 years … it's a colossal task," Mr Pericolo said.

Mr Pericolo worked on the restoration of the 19th-century Saint-Donatien basilica, which was badly damaged by fire in 2015 in the French city of Nantes

...it could take between "two to five years" just to check the stability of the massive cathedral that dominates the Paris skyline’

I can’t see a political decision being reached any time soon on a national monument , leased to the church. The Sydney Opera House took fourteen years (using French cranes) May be another Sagrada Familia , a story that people find endlessly fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
The roof frame was original but the spire that burned down was built in 1860 or there about as most of the back. The front is original and unaffected. I read they salvaged all the important stuff inside on time. A lot of donations have been made nationaly and internationaly for repair. It is a golden opportunity for Macron to try to polarise and reunite the population as there is a lot of unrest in France at the moment. All the corporates and noble families in France are apparently outbidding each other with hundred of millions of euros for the reconstruction chest. These sums are 66% tax write off, so the state is at a loss. There is growing anger from people in the street who have been trying to make both ends meet and were repeatidely told the money wasn't available for support.The media was quick to jump on it to televise the whole thing. Bottom line is the fire happened because of lack of funding and skilled people in the restoration process.
Old 19-04-2019, 10:01 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Sounds like Macron is hoping an international design competition will have a result , at least an image, that will mesh with the summer Paris olympics in 2024.

However quoting the abc report. :

‘Prominent French conservation architect Pierluigi Pericolo told Inrocks magazine it could take triple that time.

"No less than 15 years … it's a colossal task," Mr Pericolo said.

Mr Pericolo worked on the restoration of the 19th-century Saint-Donatien basilica, which was badly damaged by fire in 2015 in the French city of Nantes

...it could take between "two to five years" just to check the stability of the massive cathedral that dominates the Paris skyline’

I can’t see a political decision being reached any time soon on a national monument , leased to the church. The Sydney Opera House took fourteen years (using French cranes) May be another Sagrada Familia , a story that people find endlessly fascinating.
Taking the cultural significance away from the topic for a moment. Isn't it sometimes better when something is completely destroyed ? It's frustrating that it takes so long to make sure that the original part is ok before anything can be done to repair or restore it.
Old 19-04-2019, 10:11 PM
Sparksinspace (Steve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Taking the cultural significance away from the topic for a moment. Isn't it sometimes better when something is completely destroyed ? It's frustrating that it takes so long to make sure that the original part is ok before anything can be done to repair or restore it.
Why would you bother rebuilding if it wasn't culturally significant? it's not as if we are saving 1970's triple front brick veneer homes.
However there would be some significance as it is part of Australian culture
many a family unit has been created within a asbestos ridden triple front brick veneer
Old 20-04-2019, 10:48 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksinspace View Post
Why would you bother rebuilding if it wasn't culturally significant? it's not as if we are saving 1970's triple front brick veneer homes.
However there would be some significance as it is part of Australian culture
many a family unit has been created within a asbestos ridden triple front brick veneer
well... it goes back a little earlier than the 70s, at a time Paris was only a small village in a small island of the river Seine. In the time it's been up it has been fixed, then abandonned to almost a ruin state, then fixed again, pillaged, multiple times throughout history. In the 19 century it was a pretty sad sight but people took notice again because of Victor Hugo then the movie the hunchback of notre dame revived it for a while more recently and now it's one of the major attractions for tourism.
Old 20-04-2019, 01:07 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

LOL .
Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Nota dame.jpg)
59.2 KB54 views
Old 20-04-2019, 02:44 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
LOL .
Brian.
Lots of meme online. Saw one on FB saying he forgot to turn the oven off when leaving the place.
Old 20-04-2019, 11:33 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
LOL .
Brian.
Now that's funny
Old 21-04-2019, 01:16 AM
JA

I think they will almost certainly use a steel structure, perhaps covered with traditional adornment and/or a part glass roof or spire - a la Louvre pyramid..... Image credit: Uriel Soberanes

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (uriel-soberanes-306878-unsplash ed20.jpg)
121.4 KB15 views

Last edited by JA; 21-04-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Old 21-04-2019, 07:21 AM
glend (Glen)

I see the "Yellow Shirts" are rioting again, after a rest period following the fire. Seems they are upset about the financial response to the fire, and nothing for them. Good riddance to them, they have done a lot to destroy Parisian tourism over the past year.
Old 21-04-2019, 09:21 AM
JA

Go BIG or go HOME .....

Large Glass Spire in comparison with original height spire on LHS (excuse MS Paint, new PC with no PS loaded)

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Notre Dame New Glass Spire ed85.jpg)
197.4 KB27 views
Old 21-04-2019, 10:41 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

It's a hard decision when renovating old buildings. The project im on at the moment has just made the decision to scrap 200 or so 3"x 10" floor joists all hand cut redgum and replace with modern LBL beams.
The only reason is that a lot of the hand made nails have rusted and snapped off so the carpenter doesnt want to use them and he's worried that his second fix nail gun wont get through the old timber.
Because this beautiful 1863 building is not heritage anything can be done.
Im the stonemason there so I've had a fair say in how its being renovated but not when its coming to the new floor.
I've had to go to the old stone pit, choose stone and pretty well hand dress the stone ready for use, especially with door arches which were damaged. All were laid with lime mortar and any cement on the building was removed and replaced with lime mortar.
I could have gone down the route of using bessar blocks and doing a cement render and doing imitation stone but in my opinion its criminal.
I know that sometime heritage gets carried away but at least it never gets lost.
At the moment these 200 x 10 foot plus floor joists are in the burn pile.........!!!!!!????
Im working on full salvage options rather tan see 150 years of history go up in smoke.
Cheers
Andy
Old 21-04-2019, 10:58 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameiscd View Post
It's a hard decision when renovating old buildings. The project im on at the moment has just made the decision to scrap 200 or so 3"x 10" floor joists all hand cut redgum and replace with modern LBL beams.
The only reason is that a lot of the hand made nails have rusted and snapped off so the carpenter doesnt want to use them and he's worried that his second fix nail gun wont get through the old timber.
Because this beautiful 1863 building is not heritage anything can be done.
Im the stonemason there so I've had a fair say in how its being renovated but not when its coming to the new floor.
I've had to go to the old stone pit, choose stone and pretty well hand dress the stone ready for use, especially with door arches which were damaged. All were laid with lime mortar and any cement on the building was removed and replaced with lime mortar.
I could have gone down the route of using bessar blocks and doing a cement render and doing imitation stone but in my opinion its criminal.
I know that sometime heritage gets carried away but at least it never gets lost.
At the moment these 200 x 10 foot plus floor joists are in the burn pile.........!!!!!!????
Im working on full salvage options rather tan see 150 years of history go up in smoke.
Cheers
Andy
It would be criminal to burn that timber..heck if it could not be sold for $2 a foot minimum I would be surprised and head off a $ 2k burn off.

There probably is a buyer out there at $5 a foot. ..

Tell the carpenter about a wonderful invention he probably does not know about...the hammer ☺...although old hardwood is like steel it can take the nail holes being drilled...sounds as if lazyiness is getting in the way of recycling.

Alex
Old 21-04-2019, 11:08 AM
glend (Glen)

While I am all for reuse of those 3x10s I imagine that any potential buyer would be scared of nails embedded in the timber being hit by saws during the refiguring process. Ripping them below the nail depth could be an option. One problem would be establising the depth of the nails. Without nail depth data, you could scan them, but the cheap option is to just cut them down to 3x6s to be safe.
My son and i built a outdoor table out of old hardwood joists, and even though he was assured that nails were removed, we still found some.
Old 21-04-2019, 11:26 AM
JA

Hi Glen,

I've had success with very strong neodymium magnets for in wall and in timber nail location. A nice stack of magnets will find them.

Best
JA