Old 25-04-2019, 11:57 AM
glend (Glen)

Getting Trees Removed

I have been waging a two and a half year campaign to get a dead gum tree removed from the bush land behind and overhanging my rear fence, and happily it was finally removed just before Easter. Persistence, along with being able to demonstrate a possible public liability, and knowing exactly who is responsible, is the key to getting public authorities to act (I am convinced). The big old skeleton (it had already dropped its leaves, small branches, all the bark, etc on my garage/shed) was a serious risk of splitting off a dead fall type branch and inflicting some serious damage. My neighbor had already had his patio roof caved in by one of the branches.

Assumptions about who had responsibility proved wrong, it was not Council land, nor was it privately owned, but Crown land administered by the Local Aboriginal Land Council (or LALC for short). Trying to get in contact with the LALC people was near impossible, phone numbers listed didn't work, emails went unresponded, etc. but I eventually did establish contact through a helpful official in the state government. Then wholesale staff upheavals at the LALC meant that every six months I would have to go through the process again, and again. Finally, they sent out a Ranger, I was told the job was approved and the tree surgeons came and quoted the work back to the LALC, and then silence. Turns out the old CEO had left, and they were searching for a new one, etc yada yada. Finally last week the job was done.

I now have a new section of clear sky to the SW of my observatory, with the promise of another dangerous tree further down the fence line, to be removed in the next financial year (when they have money again apparently). My neighbor and I had a beer to celebrate.
Living on the bush is wonderful, but this sort of experience shows the downside. For those suggesting just chainsawing the thing down, it was just too big, and leaning over our properties - there was the danger of killing ourselves if we tried it, and real questions about liability insurance, collateral damage, etc. As it was the Pros had to rig up a flying fox line to swing the branches back into the bush; it was great to watch how they did it. Not worth the risk for us.
Old 25-04-2019, 12:15 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

You are lucky.
In Sydney whete I am giant trees are everywhere..very dangerous yet I cant imagine them being touched. In the bush you just would not live so close to thedr yrees...these things could take you out. I have this sucker that has to go but wont be cheap.
Alex
Old 25-04-2019, 12:42 PM
gjr80 (Gary)

Reminded me of a conversation with our neighbours about their attempt at removing a tree. There is a vacant block (owned by our neighbours) between our block and the block the neighbours have their house on. A few years back the tree was hit by lightning and is now dead. Being on private property, and the fact it was original bush growth, the neighbours had to obtain a permit from the council for its removal. Neighbours duly applied and were knocked back - reason given was that the tree was now a habitat for termites and other insects. Fortunately the tree is in no danger of hitting either house if it falls though depending on which way it might go it may make a mess of a wire fence. There are also enough other trees close by that its removal will have no affect on my view of the sky.

Gary
Old 27-04-2019, 01:27 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjr80 View Post
Neighbours duly applied and were knocked back - reason given was that the tree was now a habitat for termites and other insects.
Gary
I would have thought that was a great reason to remove said tree. I don't understand council reasoning (assuming I've read that right).

The nice old Lady over my back fence had a 3 story tall mango tree. It completely wiped out my southern view, as did my 2 story house to the north. She and I both wanted it gone (for different reasons), but neither of us could afford to bring it down professionally.

Last week I came home from work, and it was gone! I now have a clear 200 deg between East, South and West. I plan to set up some automated irrigation for her new open back yard, at my expense. It's the least I could do in appreciation.
Old 28-05-2019, 10:40 AM
gjh1967 (Glenn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I have been waging a two and a half year campaign to get a dead gum tree removed from the bush land behind and overhanging my rear fence, and happily it was finally removed just before Easter. Persistence, along with being able to demonstrate a possible public liability, and knowing exactly who is responsible, is the key to getting public authorities to act (I am convinced). The big old skeleton (it had already dropped its leaves, small branches, all the bark, etc on my garage/shed) was a serious risk of splitting off a dead fall type branch and inflicting some serious damage. My neighbor had already had his patio roof caved in by one of the branches.

Assumptions about who had responsibility proved wrong, it was not Council land, nor was it privately owned, but Crown land administered by the Local Aboriginal Land Council (or LALC for short). Trying to get in contact with the LALC people was near impossible, phone numbers listed didn't work, emails went unresponded, etc. but I eventually did establish contact through a helpful official in the state government. Then wholesale staff upheavals at the LALC meant that every six months I would have to go through the process again, and again. Finally, they sent out a Ranger, I was told the job was approved and the tree surgeons came and quoted the work back to the LALC, and then silence. Turns out the old CEO had left, and they were searching for a new one, etc yada yada. Finally last week the job was done.

I now have a new section of clear sky to the SW of my observatory, with the promise of another dangerous tree further down the fence line, to be removed in the next financial year (when they have money again apparently). My neighbor and I had a beer to celebrate.
Living on the bush is wonderful, but this sort of experience shows the downside. For those suggesting just chainsawing the thing down, it was just too big, and leaning over our properties - there was the danger of killing ourselves if we tried it, and real questions about liability insurance, collateral damage, etc. As it was the Pros had to rig up a flying fox line to swing the branches back into the bush; it was great to watch how they did it. Not worth the risk for us.
Glen.

Good luck with our Council. Best of luck and i love your Images.
Cheers Glenn