Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 14-01-2010, 10:57 AM
toc (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajiva View Post
Yes, and this is just the beginning of the LFE Photo story.
Rajiva
I had a look at the images for the 'pre-assembled kit', and that looks pretty easy - initially I thought I would need to be surface mounting components

Just one last dumb question - Do all the newer products (Elegance, Vpower etc) require the original HEQ5 MCU update, or do they replace that?

Finally, let me just say a big (and also the guys doing EQMOD) for all your work around this.
Old 14-01-2010, 06:11 PM
rajiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by toc View Post
Do all the newer products (Elegance, Vpower etc) require the original HEQ5 MCU update, or do they replace that?
they replace the complete HEQ-5 electronic, not just the MCU Update.

The MCU Update is a Add On for the original HEQ-5 or EQ-6 electronic, the LittleFoot controller is a stand alone controller that do not require additional electronic.

Clear skies!
Rajiva
Old 24-04-2019, 07:44 PM
KISA (Markus)

Hi All,

This seems to be the right chat to reignite for my questions .
I've just pulled my telescope out of storage to give some astrophotography a go with my Canon 6D, since the last time I did it was with my 400D, so I'm hoping for some nicer shots.

My mount is a Sky-Watcher HEQ5 purchased around 2006-2007, I proceeded to mod the mount with Rajiva's mod (see earlier in this chat) and changed the gears to Conrad gears. It all worked well using MCU Control Plus and V4 Control to control the mount directly from the PC. I'm think (been that long I'm not 100%) I was also using really early versions of ASCOM and EQMOD.

I thought it would be pretty simple to get back into it, but after installing the latest ASCOM and EQMOD software, unsuccessfully trying pc's with usb-to-serial and another with a real rs232 port, many different mount types as settings in ASCOM, etc, etc, 2 days of trial and error, I'm now unsure if my mount can use the new ASCOM/EQMOD or not. Mainly the issue looks like the software can’t connect to the mount. I know the mount and the connection are fine as I have successfully reconnected and controlled the mount using MCU Control Plus and V4 Control.

Rajiva and his webpages (those just below the title pages) no longer exist and I can't find any information that discusses whether I can connect my mount to ASCOM/EQMOD.

So, if there is anyone out there who has installed Rajiva's mod and are successfully using ASCOM and EQMOD to control their mounts, can they please let me know how they managed it?

Thanks heaps,

Markus
Old 24-04-2019, 10:45 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Go here and follow the instructions.

https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com...s-du-ciel.html

I use Ascom with an eq5 USB cable from shoestring and Stellarium scope to interface with Stellarium from Ascom. Seems to work as does the PhD ascom mount connection to Heq5.

I have recently started using this and found that the latest Win7 updates and drivers were required to ensure some Ascom related USB connections worked.

Have not tried the Mac yet.
Old 26-04-2019, 07:11 AM
KISA (Markus)

Thanks for that Ray. I'll look at the link. Is the mod you have through a serial connector added to the mount as part of the Rajiva MCU upgrade or via the controller port?
Old 26-04-2019, 08:18 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

The system uses a pc and a usb to controller port cable which in my case is a rj45 I think but the shoestring cable is available in other configurations for other mounts such as serial connectors. No variation to the mount required unless it is not one supported by shoestring and the ascom drivers. Cables are often for sale ohere sh.

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by KISA View Post
Thanks for that Ray. I'll look at the link. Is the mod you have through a serial connector added to the mount as part of the Rajiva MCU upgrade or via the controller port?
Old 10-05-2019, 02:21 PM
graphworlok (James)

Late to the party, but

In my case, i bought a arduino nano based 3 axis CNC controller for about $15, a CAD'd up a small mounting bracket. It's a drop in replacement for the factory controller board inside the scope.

I wrote a small arduino sketch to emulate the LX200 protocol. I lose the handset currently, but it seems to work.