Old 12-04-2019, 07:04 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Autumn Skies

I took this shot of Jupiter rising with a Canon G16 compact camera while the DSLR was capturing photons from the Southern Pinwheel Galaxy through my 8 inch Newtonian telescope.

Exposure was 20 seconds, f 1.8, 2000 iso.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (JupiterRising.jpg)
194.8 KB135 views
Old 04-05-2019, 08:50 PM
TraKtorman (Peter)
Peter

Quite amazing what you can do with an "everyday" type camera like the G16! Nice pic.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:27 AM
Imme (Jon)

Mick, you’re an absolute all rounder mate.

Week after week you just keep producing great shots......you’re definitely one of the major contributors and people who motivate others to do better on this site.

Well done mate....great shot that probably the majority of us would have not even recognised that the opportunity was there
Old 05-05-2019, 12:02 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Thanks Jon and Peter, I'm just a sucker for this type of photography, give me a clear night and any camera with manual settings and I'll try and get a shot in. There's just something very special about the quietness and beauty of the night sky. By the way, you didn't need to reply, I just found it amusing how long my picture sat there without a reply or any new post to replace it. I do however, appreciate the recognition.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:02 PM
Imme (Jon)

Hahahaha.....to be honest I didn’t realise it was posted a month ago.....just looked at the date then! Must have missed it when it first went up
Old 05-05-2019, 04:53 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
I took this shot of Jupiter rising with a Canon G16 compact camera while the DSLR was capturing photons from the Southern Pinwheel Galaxy through my 8 inch Newtonian telescope.

Exposure was 20 seconds, f 1.8, 2000 iso.
Amazing ! I got similar shots with the Canon G7Xii (similar to G16, also 1" sensor). And stacking these frames makes an even better result.

Did you shoot in RAW ?
Old 05-05-2019, 10:43 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Amazing ! I got similar shots with the Canon G7Xii (similar to G16, also 1" sensor). And stacking these frames makes an even better result.

Did you shoot in RAW ?
Yes but just a single sub was used for this shot. The G16 isn't one of Canon's compacts that features a 1"sensor. I wish it did have one, this camera was released by Canon quite a few years ago, the firmware can be altered via a program I installed on it's SD card. It can run longer than 30 second exposures and has a built in intervalometer which is handy for Astro work. The original firmware is not affected, you just load the hack whenever you need to, I've done it to a few Canon Powershot compact cameras.