Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-01-2019, 06:13 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Avast crippled ASCOM

I just renewed my Avast Internet Security subscription and had to re-install it from scratch. New version etc etc etc.
But when I went to load up some ASCOM drivers in MaximDL, errors cropped up and I was unable to load any ASCOM scopes, cameras, focusers etc. None.
So I just removed the ASCOM version I had (6.1 I think) and loaded 6.4. And ASCOM now seems to be back.
I don't know what Avast did. But I'm not thrilled by it. The system said it was doing a "Cleanup" whatever that means. I think it cleaned up a bit too much, to say the least.

This begs the question whether there are any free internet security choices that are reasonably effective at the core tasks. Avast is constantly trying to flog extra services and add-ons to me - almost daily. They really are a Pain In The Proverbial.

Peter
Old 19-01-2019, 07:51 PM
leon

Peter I do us Avast as well, however i bought the program and all seems well.
I alerts me of any threats so to speak, so really i dont have a problem with it.
In your case just using the free version may be your problem, just my 2 cents worth.

Leon
Old 20-01-2019, 01:23 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
I just renewed my Avast Internet Security subscription and had to re-install it from scratch. New version etc etc etc.
But when I went to load up some ASCOM drivers in MaximDL, errors cropped up and I was unable to load any ASCOM scopes, cameras, focusers etc. None.
So I just removed the ASCOM version I had (6.1 I think) and loaded 6.4. And ASCOM now seems to be back.
I don't know what Avast did. But I'm not thrilled by it. The system said it was doing a "Cleanup" whatever that means. I think it cleaned up a bit too much, to say the least.

This begs the question whether there are any free internet security choices that are reasonably effective at the core tasks. Avast is constantly trying to flog extra services and add-ons to me - almost daily. They really are a Pain In The Proverbial.

Peter

Yes

AVG free
Old 20-01-2019, 07:52 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Peter I do us Avast as well, however i bought the program and all seems well.
I alerts me of any threats so to speak, so really i dont have a problem with it.
In your case just using the free version may be your problem, just my 2 cents worth.

Leon
G'day Leon. I obviously wasn't clear. I did have a paid subscription. But that doesn't mean much since the problem came up when I paid for a new subscription for 2 years. In order to set that up, I had to DL the full (and updated) program, install it, and so on. It was in that process of installing what amounted to a wholly new paid service that Avast decided it wanted to clean up unused programs - at least that's what I think it did - and away went ASCOM.

Peter
Old 20-01-2019, 09:30 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I’ve used Nod32 for years now at work. Nod has always been a good performer and not bloated like some. I’m using Avast free at home, also find it annoying the way thay are always trying to peddle upgrades and addons. I’ve also had Avast knobble some software.
Old 21-01-2019, 03:22 PM
PeterM

I've been using Bitdefender Total Security for many years now (the paid version).
I have the 5 licence version (about $69 AUD - though I usually pay around $40-$50 with discounts offered) so its on the Samsung phones and all my pcs.
I particularly like the Safepay for online banking.
Never had an issue with running Maxim, Ascom, SkyX and all on Windows 10, though you do have to allow Bitdefender to allow SkyX updates (.exe) by choosing them as safe files in order to update.
Online reviews are very good and generally Bitdefender rates very high compared with many other suites.
https://www.techradar.com/au/reviews...-security-2019