Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 21-07-2018, 05:26 PM
Imme (Jon)

Automation questions....

A question for those of you with remote observatories.

How does you automation work? As in how do you switch computers and lights on and off and how are you operating your roof?

Am I right in saying you are using some form of USB controlled relay?

Something like this?.. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-2-4-8-...usb+relay.TRS0

So far I’ve got a my obs equipment including focus controlled via computer.
A small router in obs running a wired network back to house.
Webcam also running back to house so I can ‘see’ what’s happening.
I have control of my obs equipment via teamviewer from house computer.
Shed roof is electrically controlled.

So what’s the next step?
How do I organise remote turn on/turn off/roof closing???
Old 23-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Have a look at the Lunatico Astro products such as the Dragonfly.

H
Old 23-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Imme (Jon)

Will do
Old 23-07-2018, 05:41 PM
diegocolonnello (Diego)
Breathing Stars

Hi Mate, i use a Dragonfly from Lunatico, it controls 8 relays and has 8 sensor contacts, allows Scripting and interfaces with other software by using ASCOM...

Really simple to setup and comes with APP for the phone.....
Old 24-07-2018, 06:47 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

In the remote school observatory I have setup, we use a combination.

Dragonfly for triggering the roof controller and receiving inputs from limit switches/travel sensors to make sure the roof has done what you asked it to do. It can also switch DC loads.

Digital Loggers universal input PDU for AC loads - ASCOM driver available.

If you want to spend a lot of money, you can go to ACP Scheduler and have the observatory turn itself on at dusk and off at dawn, and run itself for the entire night without you even lifting a finger.

DT
Old 24-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Paul Haese

Ok, here goes.

My internet account has a static IP address. Then I have port forwarding in the router which allows connections to computers, IP switches and IP cameras. I power everything up via an IP switch (9258) which has its own web address.

Once powered up I can access the computer either via Team viewer or Radmin.

The computer (fitPC4) controls the roof via USB (scopedome control systems), mount, focusing and camera.

I power up my camera, focuser and fans via Mount Hub Pro hardware. This also powers up the computer on power up.

My cloud sensor is always on and I connect it via USB.

All equipment is controlled by a variety of programs which include SkyX(mount), Maxim DL6 (cameras), Focusmax 4 (focuser, cameras and mount) Pinpoint (plate solving) and Scopedome (Roof)

Everything is controlled by CCDAP5 as the command program. It watches the weather, controls the mount, camera, plates solves, everything to produce imaging runs on selected targets.

That's it. Sounds easy but you need to be good at bug hunting and rely on the wisdom of others who have come before you to be successful.
Old 24-07-2018, 07:25 PM
Imme (Jon)

Seems theres not an easy plug and play type fix for me.....

I definately have some research to do.

Thanks everyone for your input......but I think I may be. A little farther away from full automation than I thought! Hahahaha
Old 24-07-2018, 07:34 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Definitely not plug & play.

You’ve got to be willing to give scripting a go to completely automate. I have no coding experience, but have worked it out by dissecting sample files.

That said, my personal equipment isn’t fully automated - at the most, I use CCD commander to automate a run of imaging for the evening and put it all to bed before I do.

DT
Old 26-07-2018, 12:40 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I use a Digital Loggers web power switch and Team Viewer to monitor the host PC in my fully robotic Sirius Dome.

In effect it's just like being in the dome, as you can power up cameras, mount and telescope (the dome is always powered) . Then fire up whatever software you want to use for an imaging session.

The host PC (Toshiba Tecra) stays powered, but I can re-boot it remotely if necessary.

I use a Boltwood to keep an eye on the weather and com status to the dome...it will close the shutter automatically if it no longer senses a link with the host PC.

My main telescope has all the bells and whistles: remotely controllable rotator, focuser, and mirror cover.

I also have an Allsky camera which uploads a new image to the web every five minutes or so, but can monitor it real-time if need be.

Lastly...if it all gets too hard, I can walk out into my backyard and sit in the dome when I've had a gut-full of lame TV shows about knocking up a meal or knocking down a house
Old 26-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Imme (Jon)

I'm similar Peter, obs is at home about 70m from house however I would like the ability to image if I am away from home, or, setup an image run when I'm home and have the ability to monitor/end it if I go out for the night.

Still studying away looking at options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I use a Digital Loggers web power switch and Team Viewer to monitor the host PC in my fully robotic Sirius Dome.

In effect it's just like being in the dome, as you can power up cameras, mount and telescope (the dome is always powered) . Then fire up whatever software you want to use for an imaging session.

The host PC (Toshiba Tecra) stays powered, but I can re-boot it remotely if necessary.

I use a Boltwood to keep an eye on the weather and com status to the dome...it will close the shutter automatically if it no longer senses a link with the host PC.

My main telescope has all the bells and whistles: remotely controllable rotator, focuser, and mirror cover.

I also have an Allsky camera which uploads a new image to the web every five minutes or so, but can monitor it real-time if need be.

Lastly...if it all gets too hard, I can walk out into my backyard and sit in the dome when I've had a gut-full of lame TV shows about knocking up a meal or knocking down a house
Old 30-07-2018, 07:04 PM
Imme (Jon)

Seems i have most issues sorted now.... Or will have once my relay board arrives from bulgaria!

I have hit one hurdle though, the lens cap, how are people handling protection of the lenses remotely when not in use?
Is it just a matter of parking the scope with lens pointing down?
Old 30-07-2018, 07:33 PM
Paul Haese

I don't use covers, even when I had refractors in one of my observatories, I just washed the front element once or twice a year. You could use a flipflat if you want to use a cover, but it is largely unnecessary and a bit of a luxury to have automated covers.