Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 12:04 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I dont know why its surprising.
Folk wonder why we seem to suck up when its just the way things go...its no big deal.

Its like Rome. .culture money control can be traced back...no worries.

You cant change it.

Stop worrying.

Alex
I think it is an ENORMOUS problem Alex.

The more people sweep it under the carpet, the larger the problem becomes. We have all been silent and apathetic for WAY too long.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:10 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

I was never in favor of ' single engine ' fighters ( F35 )....although I do like the ' proven ' F16.

Sorry ... a bit of topic here ...

Col...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
95.3 KB8 views
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
194.8 KB4 views
Click for full-size image (3.jpg)
83.9 KB8 views
Old 07-06-2018, 12:26 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I think it is an ENORMOUS problem Alex.

The more people sweep it under the carpet, the larger the problem becomes. We have all been silent and apathetic for WAY too long.
I did not mean to indicate it was not a problem as it certainly is a problem.
But we have to live with it.
How can you resist?
We buy stuff almost as if paying a tax but what are you going to do.
Oh $50 million for vacations for the poor kids in Africa..what a nice thing for the Australian Government to do..well yes if that was the game but the game is getting cash to the US drug company.

Military gear. ..its not about our defence its about getting money back to Rome.

Sure the world should be a better place but its not and never will be.
Alex
Old 07-06-2018, 01:36 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
Has the curriculum changed that much though over the years? I don't have children, but I await with interest my 4 year old niece entering school. I'm more interested in her education than her parents I suspect lol. At least, the quality of her education.
The curriculum is a mess, has been since the late 70's when the powers that be decided to adopt "whole language" approach to reading. Better call it, "direct path to illiteracy". Then followed the "You can't fail a kid because its bad for their self esteem" waffle... No one fails, no one tries....

As a teacher, the things that stands out for success are:
- Teach language phonetically, no short cuts and start young, before they go to "kinder". I read fluently at 5...
- Teach mental arithmetic and drill teach Times tables until they are faster than an calculator ( Real easy: Use black mail, bribery, threats... whatever it takes!).
- Read to them, for them and with them.
- Instil a love of learning.
- Teach them high personal standards, If they believe in themselves, they wont accept anything less..
- Feed curiosity.
- Teach them to dream without limits.
- Invest your own time, you get ONE shot at being a good parent.

Do these things, and the school they attend is largely irrelevant.

(Oh, for gawds sake, don't pay private school fees, waste of money. These places claim to have a higher success rate; they don't. They just concentrate kids from families who are more affluent and therefore more interested in their kids education. Spend the money on your children, not private school building funds )
Old 07-06-2018, 04:14 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
The curriculum is a mess, has been since the late 70's when the powers that be decided to adopt "whole language" approach to reading. Better call it, "direct path to illiteracy". Then followed the "You can't fail a kid because its bad for their self esteem" waffle... No one fails, no one tries....

As a teacher, the things that stands out for success are:
- Teach language phonetically, no short cuts and start young, before they go to "kinder". I read fluently at 5...
- Teach mental arithmetic and drill teach Times tables until they are faster than an calculator ( Real easy: Use black mail, bribery, threats... whatever it takes!).
- Read to them, for them and with them.
- Instil a love of learning.
- Teach them high personal standards, If they believe in themselves, they wont accept anything less..
- Feed curiosity.
- Teach them to dream without limits.
- Invest your own time, you get ONE shot at being a good parent.

Do these things, and the school they attend is largely irrelevant.

(Oh, for gawds sake, don't pay private school fees, waste of money. These places claim to have a higher success rate; they don't. They just concentrate kids from families who are more affluent and therefore more interested in their kids education. Spend the money on your children, not private school building funds )
I was slow to read, but there were reasons for that (Aspergers, and bullying from both other students and teachers). By the time I got to year 2 though, I'd caught up. i was lucky, that my year 2 teacher (different school to what I attended for year 1) was brilliant.

I didn't need my parents or teachers to encourage me to read, or have an inquisitive mind. I was top of my class for maths timetables up to and including year 5. I had a dip in year 6, but was still ahead of the rest of the class because I had a crap teacher who disliked me. 2 dud teachers in 6 years isn't a good record imho. And, teachers were a lot better in those days than they are now imho. I've just turned 49 btw, so I'm not a spring chicken.

Sadly, as you get older, bullying gets worse, and being bright is like wearing a bit bullseye target on your chest for the bullies. Schools refused to deal with bullies back then, and are even worse now.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:49 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

re . 1957 , Chicken Little ,. The SKY is falling !

Brian.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:21 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
re . 1957 , Chicken Little ,. The SKY is falling !

Brian.
I don't get the reference, but I can see the humour ;-)
Old 09-06-2018, 07:47 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I thought the video clip was encouraging people to have a humorous look at the random, self-imagined, thought constructs of some people who then insist that they know the answers.They are silly, but funny.

These people can become dangerous though if they can gain followers and promote themselves into being seen as an enlightened demigod. And if they do, the rewards are great for they may obtain almost unlimited power in their own tiny group. (For example, Charles Manson).

Most of us older fellows rage at what is becoming of young people. Tut, tut. There was a time that I recall where I was on the receiving end of that. My grade 9 form teacher told us that we were the worst bunch of grade 9's that she ever had. Funny enough, I thought she was the worst teacher we ever had.

But seriously, as we age, us blokes admire intelligence more. This is not new. In the old play/movie, "Fiddler on the Roof", do U remember what kind of man the girl ask the matchmaker for? Well, handsome for her, rich for mum, and for father, make him a scholar.

The best idea that has come through in recent times is that of lifetime learning. Ah, there's hope yet.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:35 PM
h0ughy (David)

Listen guys while you post and link all the interesting things in the world have you guys actually read the TOS of IIS?

take a minute to read http://www.iceinspace.com.au/tos.html
Closed Thread