Old 12-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

More LMC objects, a planetary and a planet

Dear all,

Here are the notes from my ongoing obsession with the Large Magellanic Cloud. Plus the Eskimo and Mars.

Thanks for reading them.

Telescope 400mm f4.9 tri-dob reflector
Eyepieces 28mm UWAN, 17,13,9 mm Naglers, Paracorr
Guiding: Night Sky Observer’s Guide (NSOG), Morel’s Atlas of Large Magellanic Cloud

Seeing and transparency excellent.

LMC area, south of Tarantula nebula, through NGC 2078 complex which forms triangle with NGC 2052 and 82 Dorado. Following a line from NGC 2078 complex through 82 Dorado takes me to a line of stars 98,84,104 Dorado and NGC 2046 and a clump of clusters.

Being over the tip of the bar of the LMC, there is a background haze of unresolved stars behind all the clusters.

NGC 2046 OC in LMC 135x small round to slightly elliptical haze, somewhat brighter at the western end

To the NE of 104 Dorado is another small circular haze, OC NGC 2057. To the east of this is

NGC 2065 “young populous cluster” in LMC 135x Somewhat larger than 2057, perhaps 2’ across, more diffuse, a star at the eastern edge. Otherwise and unresolved haze with some central concentration of brightness, but no obvious core – there is a smooth decrease in brightness towards the edges.

To the northwest is a similar size area of haze

NGC 2058 “young populous cluster” in LMC 135x Again about 2’ across, brighter in centre with gradual reduction in brightness towards the edges. Nearby at least one magnitude dimmer and about half the size is NGC2059. The area is busy with many faint clusters. NGC 2066 OC is a much fainter cluster forming a roughly equilateral triangle with 2065 and 2058. Close to NGC 2058 is 2059 OC, another order fainter than 2066 and appears about twice as long as wide. Another faint OC NGC 2072 is just to the southeast of NGC 2065. This is so faint that averted vision is required to see it.

In line with NGC 2065 and a bright star not labeled on Morel’s atlas is

NGC 2049 OC in LMC 135x Quite a bright distinct 1’ core in a circular haze about 3’ across

I seem to be missing some of my tape.

About 1 degree to the east of NGC 2065 and forming an equilateral triangle with 81 and 83 Dorado is

NGC 2122 OC in LMC 175x Area of nebulosity with 2 lobes, somewhat like a butternut pumpkin. A scattering of resolvable stars with 3 picking out the curve of the base which is the northern end. Inside the base is a dark arc inside the perimeter, convex to the north. Overall brighter at the southern end. I estimate about 7x4’ .Quite complex knotty structure. UHC filter shows a rounder outline, less squeezed across the waist.

SL 676 (Shapley and Lindsay) and NGC 2107. SL676 a very faint round area of haze with some concentration in the centre and slightly elongated N-S 175x 1’ across 2107 much brighter, listed as populous cluster, distinct circular haze, 2’ across with no distinct core. A smooth disc softening into a slightly larger halo.

Moving back towards 108 Dorado is a line of 3 small discs of haze distributed across about 20’ with background haze of LMC bar and a scattering of stars

NGC 2038 OC in LMC
NGC 2056 “young populous cluster” in LMC
NGC 2075 OC in LMC

All three of roughly equal brightness, 2038 being the smaller of the three and has a suggestion of a nucleus, 2056 more diffuse with no core. 2075 is more triangular in shape with a distinct core. 2075 seems patchy around the edge.

Moving NW I come to 91 and 76 Dorado. To the east of a line between these stars is

NGC 2051 OC in LMC 135x Fairly faint. I have an impression of a ring of stars around its core.

To the west of this line is

NGC 2031 “young populous cluster” in LMC 135x Brighter than 2051. Seems about 4’ across with cup shaped core

Further west is a larger OC

NGC 2018 OC in LMC 135x more diffuse are of patchy haze with many resolvable stars. Seems roughly pentagonal, 10’ across, a dark ring inside the perimeter and a bright central core with a clump of about 5 stars. To the north is a bright pair of stars which are part of an asterism somewhat like a small corona. Strands of nebulosity spill from 2018 into the cup formed by the corona asterism. More nebulosity spreads throughout this asterism, which fits with the NSOG listing the size of 2018 30x20’, but it doesn’t look that big to me. UHC filter show several patches of brightness, the brightest being at the easternmost corner.

NGC 2392 PNe in Gemini “The Eskimo nebula” 250x Quite a bright bluish planetary nebula. Very bright with averted vision. Under direct vision, the northern edge seems to become fainter. Central star very obvious, and with averted vision 2 distinct shells of nebulosity are apparent. The bright inner shell is separated from the outer shell by a thin dark ring. The outer shell is more diffuse than the inner shell. UHC filter makes the dark ring and central star less obvious, but the whole nebula looks somewhat grainy. The nebula with UHC looks less round, but slightly pointed to the east. OIII filter brings out the inner ring and shell. The shape of the dark ring seems more complex. The outer shell looks a little softer. To me it looks better with no filters.

Mars 250x North polar ice cap very distinct and a slight dark band to the south of the cap. Another darker patch is apparent to the south.
Old 13-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Lismore Bloke (Paul)
Ad astra per aspera

Hello Patrick,
Outstanding report, you certainly have an eye for detail. Very impressed with the way you have navigated your way through that maze of objects. I should be brave and try to pick my way the LMC too! I've been seeing some nice PN's lately too, but don't have an O-III filter. What brand do you use, if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of getting a 2" and an adapter for the 1.25 Naglers, so I can use it on the 2" EP's as well.
Old 13-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lismore Bloke View Post
Hello Patrick,
Outstanding report, you certainly have an eye for detail. Very impressed with the way you have navigated your way through that maze of objects. I should be brave and try to pick my way the LMC too! I've been seeing some nice PN's lately too, but don't have an O-III filter. What brand do you use, if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of getting a 2" and an adapter for the 1.25 Naglers, so I can use it on the 2" EP's as well.

Thanks, Paul. Mati Morel's atlas of the LMC is certainly very useful and very comprehensive. It certainly makes navigating easy. And the Night Sky Observers guide has quite a few photos of the complicated bits and labels each object. Very helpful.

I use an Astronomik 1.25" OIII. It's a bit of a shame to not have a 2" but then I use it a lot with my 13 and 9 mm Naglers. I find it quite interesting to compare UHC and OIII and they certainly show different things. I couldn't say I prefer one over the other - and both are 1.25". Adapter's a good idea - you'll definitely want to use it on your higher power eps.