ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2019, 09:56 AM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Hazy smoky skies

How is everyone getting on with imaging with all of this hazy smoke hanging around?

Is it still a goer or should I wait for it to subside?

My location is Wollongong.

Paul
Old 02-11-2019, 11:37 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hi Paul

The smoke haze is certainly not helping us, wrecking contrast and reflecting more light pollution back down at us. Makes any imaging and observing at the present time less desirable, especially from the suburbs Was out last night with a few others and although the skyglow from where we were was not as bad, despite the smoke, as the "normal" light pollution from home in suburbia, it was not as pleasant as usual.
Imaging from suburbia in these present conditions is not worth it, no filter is going to cut through the smoke and the moon is waxing so the next 2 weeks or so can be discounted as prime imaging time.

Cheeers
Jeff
Old 02-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Hi Paul. I took a series of HaRGB and DSLR images Thursday night to test a side by side refractor and 800 lense arrangement. While that was a success the galaxy images are fuzzy, even after more than 90 minutes of exposure. The guide camera was struggling also.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:01 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Hi Paul

The smoke haze is certainly not helping us, wrecking contrast and reflecting more light pollution back down at us. Makes any imaging and observing at the present time less desirable, especially from the suburbs Was out last night with a few others and although the skyglow from where we were was not as bad, despite the smoke, as the "normal" light pollution from home in suburbia, it was not as pleasant as usual.
Imaging from suburbia in these present conditions is not worth it, no filter is going to cut through the smoke and the moon is waxing so the next 2 weeks or so can be discounted as prime imaging time.

Cheeers
Jeff
Yeah Jeff...figured, just thought I'd throw it out there, getting itchy fingers...need my imaging fix.

How's things? Been a while since we last spoke. Hope your keeping well mate.

Paul
Old 02-11-2019, 05:05 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Hi Paul. I took a series of HaRGB and DSLR images Thursday night to test a side by side refractor and 800 lense arrangement. While that was a success the galaxy images are fuzzy, even after more than 90 minutes of exposure. The guide camera was struggling also.
Thanks Ray, same down here in the gong, all these clear nights, I wander outside and look up and sigh!

At least you had a go! Its a good time to build up that dark library and a bit of spring cleaning on the Obs whilst waiting for it all to dissipate.

The arrangement sounds interesting, can you post a piccy or two?

Take care.

Paul