Old 25-10-2015, 11:52 AM
glend (Glen)

Which EOS Clip-in Narrow band for Mono DSLR?

My Canon 450D sensor is off being debayered by CentralDS. I need to decide which narrow band filters to consider for this now mono camera (and mount type). For mount type I am leaning towards EOS Clip-in filter format as I can remove the camera and change the filter without disturbing the focus (hopefully), by simply releasing the bayonet lock and removing the camera from the scope that way (leaving the T-Adaptor and bayonet on the scope). I realise this maybe wishful thinking as refocusing may be required, or may always be required with a filter change. There is no room available for a filter wheel, nor can I find a drop-in or slide solution - and EOS Clip-in filters seem very cost effective compared to others.

Secondly, which filters? I believe the typical choices are: Ha, SII and OIII but 6nm or 12nm? Pros and cons?

The camera (for a DSLR) has comparative low noise for a DSLR, and is cold finger cooled to -5C during shooting. Comparisons of Darks with Offset Bias frames at -5C show no difference. Scope used is either the RC08 (f8) or the 10" Imaging Newt (f5). Guiding is done via a guidescope and ASi camera.

Would appreciate any advice (well except go out and buy a CCD camera).
Old 25-10-2015, 02:35 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi glen

if you can find a filter draw system or similar that works i'd recommend it over 'clip in'. i had a clip in and i couldn't imagine changing it as often as you would be needing to for nb. super fiddly and difficult put in and take out.

Ha and Oiii will be used most. narrower is considered better but gets expensive. the baader options i think are from memory better value for $. focus will be slightly compromised when you remove the camera, even happens with a filter draw setup.

cheers

russ
Old 25-10-2015, 04:55 PM
glend (Glen)

Russell I think this slim filter drawer might just work with 36mm filters:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...w-Profile.html

I would be concerned about my heavier than normal cooled camera hanging off the back of it though. Teleskop-Express makes pretty good gear but it would be a risk without trying one out. I need a solution that works for both the RC and the Newt (with the Baader MPCC on the camera). With the RC I could get a special M90 adaptor ring made by Precision Parts so that I could move the camera a little closer to get more room for the filter drawer if needed. The Newt setup would need to be tested, I think I just have enough room for the drawer, but if I don't it would require moving the primary a little.

The Clip-in Narrow band filters are fairly attractive from a cost point of view (from some sources); and do not require buying more gear, or mods that might introduce flex in the imaging train.

Does anyone have any experience with the Teleskop-Express DSLR filter drawer?
Old 25-10-2015, 09:56 PM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post

i have one on order with other accessories, but as yet untried!
pat
Old 26-10-2015, 02:47 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post

I would be concerned about my heavier than normal cooled camera hanging off the back of it though. Teleskop-Express makes pretty good gear but it would be a risk without trying one out. I need a solution that works for both the RC and the Newt (with the Baader MPCC on the camera). With the RC I could get a special M90 adaptor ring made by Precision Parts so that I could move the camera a little closer to get more room for the filter drawer if needed. The Newt setup would need to be tested, I think I just have enough room for the drawer, but if I don't it would require moving the primary a little.

The Clip-in Narrow band filters are fairly attractive from a cost point of view (from some sources); and do not require buying more gear, or mods that might introduce flex in the imaging train.

I know what you mean they do look like an attractive option in many respects - money is one! However, I don't think I ever managed to put a clip in filter without putting a thumbprint on them. Worth it for the occasional Ha or maybe Oiii but i reckon it will drive you mad using for a mono camera.

If you like I can send one over to you for a lend (its just the L filter). Give it a go and get a feel for it?

I have a slider draw from TS but its for 2" filters http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...ig-sensor.html I currently have the setup
canon - bayonet - FILTER Draw - OAG - 17-23mm variable spacer - RCCI I haven't had any issues with it -i can remove a filter without taking the camera from the focuser.

Cheers

Russ