Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-02-2015, 12:44 PM
glend (Glen)

R U looking for an ED80 Triplet?

Anyone looking for an ED80 Triplet? There is an Explore Scientific sale on in the US at the moment (ends on the 28th) at the big retailers like Optcorp and Telescope.com, where the ED 80 Triplet is available for $583 USD, even when you add on shipping it is still less than $900 AUD delivered (and GST is avoided at that price). Seems like a bargain given that the cheapest ED80 here is the Skywatcher Doublet at $1099 AUD plus shipping from Andrews.

Yeah I ordered one. I don't have a small scope anymore and I have this Vixen Porta II mount in a box so it will make a good grab and go setup.

Last edited by glend; 27-02-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:29 AM
glend (Glen)

My ED80 APO Triplet arrived this morning (great service from UPS and OPT). It's a very nice scope at first impression. The integrated sliding shield is neat. I'd have a question about the single foot dovetail but that will get answered when I get my camera on it. It came with a couple of threaded extension tubes, and the diagonal is well made. It does not have a finderscope or dot finder, only the ES shoe, but maybe that's not an issue with this scope given the wide field if it's sitting on a goto mount.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I have an Orion ED80T CF, which sounds similar - the single foot dovetail works fine (sits nice and secure) in a Vixen clamp.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:44 PM
vlazg (George)

Glen,
Optically the Es is good but there is not much thread holding the dovetail. I recently bought a 2nd hand es and the vendor did not tell me the dovetail was loose due to either insufficient thread or he cross threaded it so it was not firm.
I purchased the guang sheng 90mm clamps from Andrews Communications.
, fits perfectly, and adapted the es dovetail to fit. It is now solid as a rock.
George
Old 05-03-2015, 10:57 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
the cheapest ED80 here is the Skywatcher Doublet at $1099 AUD plus shipping from Andrews.
Nope...
http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...p?id=MAS-045C1