Old 24-04-2013, 02:41 PM
BruceG (Bruce)

Final piece of the telescope puzzle

Hi all, been collecting some gear on various classifieds and now have a SW HEQ5 pro mount and a William Optics Megrez 90.
After taking delivery of the Megrez, I have found that the L bracket on the telescope has a Losmandy style dovetail attached and the HEQ5 mount is from what I can gather a Viexn style saddle? (Am I correct here?)
Do I look for an adapter between the losmandy and vixen or do I just buy a vixen dovetail and see if that will be compatible with the L bracket on the scope?
It's my first verture into telescopes and I guess I need guidence with the mount to telescope hardware.
I dont even have an eyepiece yet - a couple are on their way.
Goodness knows the mess I will get into when trying to actually setup the mount so that it can find things and track effectively.
Any help in the dovetail / saddle alternatives will be greatly appreciated.
Bruce.
Old 24-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Doesn't the L-bracket itself fit the Vixen-style saddle? I thought they did, but could be wrong.

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 24-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Kunama

Hi Bruce, Sounds like you are nearly there ! There are several members in the Blue Mtns area who may be able to assist with getting everything together. Pictures of your components would help but a vixen style dovetail should get you out of trouble.
Old 25-04-2013, 08:53 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

I had a Long Perng 90mm ( same scope as your WO 90mm ) a while ago and it's 'L' bracket was a Vixen style one as Steffan states , and as Matt say's , a photo or 2 will clear it up quickly .
Nice set up and good luck .
Brian.
Old 25-04-2013, 02:21 PM
BruceG (Bruce)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
I had a Long Perng 90mm ( same scope as your WO 90mm ) a while ago and it's 'L' bracket was a Vixen style one as Steffan states , and as Matt say's , a photo or 2 will clear it up quickly .
Nice set up and good luck .
Brian.
I may have been misleading you good folk here. I always read about the Megrez 90 having an L bracket - maybe mine does not? there is just a base with 3 x 1/4" threaded holes - this is where the Losmandy dovetail was mounted to. The camera is out of the house at the moment do no photos.
Old 25-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Kunama

Bruce the earlier Megrez 90 had an L foot, the later series do not and require 90mm tube rings for a solid mounting. The holes under the focuser pinion assembly are probably not the best way to mount the OTA to the Dovetail
Old 25-04-2013, 03:41 PM
BruceG (Bruce)

Excellent...I have the 2 x 90 mm rings. I think the previous owner used the dovetail mounted to the foot at the rear and one ring at the front of the dovetail. I will just go for a short Vixen dovetail and use both tube rings.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Bruce.
Old 25-04-2013, 04:49 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Glad its sorted Bruce , but we are all waiting with baited breath for some photos of your lovely set up .
Clear skies mate .
Brian.