Old 22-01-2007, 09:19 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Question re Canon DSLR parameter settings.

What do users recommend setting their camera parameter to;

Parameter 1
Parameter 2
Adobe RGB?
Old 22-01-2007, 10:46 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I seem to remember that in the Basic Zones (non creative) modes the settings are fixed to parameter 1 which applies saturation and sharpening adjustments for more vivid colour. Parameter 2 is more natural and is better for skin tones etc. Adobe RGB is the colour space setting, the difference between it and SRGB is the number of colours available for reproduction. Adobe RGB has a wider range of colour available than SRGB. There's a good article on colour space in Better photoshop techniques Issue 8. When you image in RAW the parameters are not applied to the RAW file.
Old 22-01-2007, 11:58 PM
RB (Andrew)

Can't help you with the Parameters Paul but I agree with what Phil said about Adobe RGB. I only use this colour space as it has more colour range.
sRGB was created for the web, but it's limited so I don't use it at all.

Also make sure you configure your image software to the same colour space, ie. Adobe RGB to match your camera settings.
Old 23-01-2007, 08:48 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Thanks guys, that's what I though as well. I just wasn't sure how P1 and 2 worked.

Cheers
Old 23-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Benny L (Ben)

Professionally speaking I always have mine set on adobe RGB
Old 24-01-2007, 08:24 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
sRGB was created for the web, but it's limited so I don't use it at all
SRGB isn't really that bad. SRGB is used on Canon DSLR's in all the basic modes, is fine for average use and the average user would not be able to pick the difference. To quote part of the abovementioned article on colour spaces.
Quote:
Since both colour spaces have a lot of couours, this mightn't make any noticeable difference to a particular photograph (both colour spaces have all the "important" colours in them), but in general sRGB is considered to have a brighter, more punchy pallette than Adobe RGB, but Adobe RGB csn closely replicate sRGB if you wish.
Also no matter which profile you use, your printer and to a lesser extent your monitor is incapable of reproducing the full range of colours within that colour space.
Old 27-01-2007, 07:59 AM
sejanus (Gavin)

To the original poster, shoot in raw - that way you can choose your colour spaces anytime, rather than solely at time of capture.

Andrew - unforunately srgb has too much market penetration, i.e. for my commercial print runs I have to go to sRGB anyway as there are very few printhouses that can print adobergb, and even if they do I don't think the paper can support the full colour gammut.
Old 27-01-2007, 08:38 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Hi sejanus. I always shoot in raw for astrophotography stuff, but there are a number of choices for the parameters.
Old 27-01-2007, 09:23 AM
sejanus (Gavin)

If you are shooting raw the parameters are not hardcoded in the file, they are just recorded as "shot as" parameters.

They are only really important to select at capture time if shooting jpeg.
Old 27-01-2007, 09:47 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

While I'm on a roll here. When I download my images direct from the camera using say zoom browser I only get the Raw files. Yet when I just drag and drop the folder from the memory card when using a card reader there is a *.thm file included for each file. What is the purpose of the *.thm file?
Old 27-01-2007, 01:16 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

not sure on that one, never seen that file on any of my cards, but I'm using a mac with a bit of software called aperture for card downloading.
Old 27-01-2007, 01:23 PM
gilbert

Hi all. I just thought I should add that you should really be calibrating your monitors (I use a colour vision monitor spyder) every week - at least - if your shooting digital and processing your work on your computer. Espesially if shooting Raw files, which I also sugest doing.