Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Poll: Which would you chose
Poll Options
Which would you chose

Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

I am another with a 10, cant compare it to anyother CCD as this is my first (outside of a DSLR), but I am happy with it. Havent had any stability issues with it, never had to reboot it during imaging.

It was bigger than I envisaged, about the size of a Coke can.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:50 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming, I may be slowly getting convinced.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:16 PM
gregbradley

I know of neither so just a general comment.

Neither are ideal for your 2000mm focal length as the pixels are a bit small but the 14 megapixel Sony sensored QHY12 seems better than either.
One shot colour cameras still need a clear UV/IR cut filter in front or you will get bloat from the IR. The cover slip on the CCD will only be antireflection coated (I hope it is at least).

A 14 megapixel Sony HAD chip in an APS sized cooled sensor sounds very appealling. And under $3000 is very impressive. Its new, it modern, its hip. There is no mention of the QE of these cameras. Does anyone know? I imagine its around 25% which is very low. Most mono cameras now are around 55-60%.

MX25C is good but a bit old now. Isn't it also about only about 6-8 megapixels?

I wonder how much the QHY15 and 16 are? Also the QHY 11 with the KAI11002 chip could be good as that is the same sensor as the SBIG STL11 at a lower price.

Connections whilst it may seem a small point can mess you up badly. I have to repair my SBIG ST402 as it has a weak power connector which has caused endless trouble. Its not that easy to replace yourself as it has a clip soldered to the circuit as well. As pointed out a bit of velcro may help but its a shame such an important part of the camera has been compromised with a bit of careless design.

The adjustable tilt on the chip is a nice feature.

Greg.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 AM
ReaPerMan (Paul)
Work & Play at Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I know of neither so just a general comment.

. There is no mention of the QE of these cameras. Does anyone know? I imagine its around 25% which is very low. Most mono cameras now are around 55-60%.

Greg.

HI Greg
the QHY tech specs document states that the peak QE iS 60% for Green and 50% for Blue and Red

all the best

Paul
Old 12-10-2011, 05:53 PM
gregbradley

That's a Sony CCD so I am no particularly familiar with it beyond the fact its the same sensor that I had in my Nikon D70 which was my first astro camera.

50% QE for a one shot colour seems either incredibly efficient compared to Kodak one shot colour CCDs which are apart from the latest True sense sensors all about 25-50% with the average being high 20's. Those 60-50% are better than a mono STL11 or comes close to matching a FLI Microline 8300.

I recall a comment by Peter Ward that Sony uses relative QE to measure their CCDs. Perhaps that is where the difference is or perhaps the chip is in fact that sensitive. I suspect the figures have been massaged for marketing reasons.

Regardless it sounds like an interesting chip and I'd love to see some more images coming from it.

Greg.
Old 25-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
..... I have to repair my SBIG ST402 as it has a weak power connector which has caused endless trouble....

Greg.
Greg are you using the current OEM connector?

It should have a screw-down locking collar, when locked down it provides a very good power connection.

I have seen dozens of these units and have yet to see one fail.
Old 26-11-2011, 06:33 AM
gregbradley

Yes that's the one. When screwed in tight it often cuts out like something is losing a firm connection.

I got a new one from Jaycar thinking it a simple replacement but it also has a 3rd clip soldered to the board I think for strength. So I backed off as I thought I might damage it.

Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Greg are you using the current OEM connector?

It should have a screw-down locking collar, when locked down it provides a very good power connection.

I have seen dozens of these units and have yet to see one fail.