Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Go figure, it arrived this morning. The postal vortex must have been blowing this way
Was it a westerly perchance... I have a shroud coming for my Marana, arrived in Perth 8 days ago, hasn't moved since...
Old 27-07-2020, 07:15 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Was it a westerly perchance... I have a shroud coming for my Marana, arrived in Perth 8 days ago, hasn't moved since...

Nah mine stuck to the east coast. Either their tracking system doesn’t know diddly squit or they were breaking new speed records
Old 30-07-2020, 05:57 PM
Spidy (Phil)

I placed my order direct to ZWO for 174 mini and 071 Pro MC today. I'll report back when they arrive.
Old 30-07-2020, 08:03 PM
Startrek (Martin)

My new ZWOASI2600MC Camera was ordered on the 12th June , last update advised I just missed the last ZWO batch which landed 2 weeks ago , my order is now expected mid August

I don’t mind as long as it’s not damaged and in perfect working order when I get to use it.

I suppose we have to get use to longer lead times now for electronic equipment in this changed world we currently live in
Old 30-07-2020, 08:46 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Martin, you ordered direct from ZWO?
Old 30-07-2020, 09:33 PM
Startrek (Martin)

No I ordered from a ZWO nominated local supplier
Old 31-07-2020, 08:20 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Mine took 10 days all in, direct from Shanghai.
Old 31-07-2020, 09:12 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Mine took 10 days all in, direct from Shanghai.

That's great to hear, though I doubt mine will get here that quick. I just noticed the 071 is on backorder.
Old 31-07-2020, 01:34 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Are they still making the 071? Now that the 2600MC is out
Old 31-07-2020, 01:48 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

As far as I know they are, at least currently. I would suspect if the 2600 turns into a solid success they would probably drop the 071. They are not a whole lot cheaper than the 2600 and you would expect the two to be competing for the same sales, unless perhaps the bigger pixels than the 2600 is enough reason to retain it?

They sort of have history there with the ASI6200MC and now the ASI2400MC, both being OSC full frames but with different pixel sizes, unless they discontinue the OSC version of the 6200 in the near future.
Old 31-07-2020, 02:01 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yeah I guess. Maybe their production is slick enough that it's just a matter of dropping the right sensor on the board
Old 31-07-2020, 08:07 PM
Craig_

Is there a view on whether ordering direct from ZWO gets you backordered gear faster than a local vendor? I mean, I can only imagine they would preference their own customers over local stores, but who knows...
Old 31-07-2020, 09:17 PM
nsavage (Nick)

I meant to post this earlier this week.

Purchased a couple of items on the 16/07 (after business hours so effectively the 17/07). Emailed to add an item as I had forgotten to include it early on the 17/07. Shipped on the 20/07 from ZWO and arrived 29/07.
Old 31-07-2020, 09:43 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_ View Post
Is there a view on whether ordering direct from ZWO gets you backordered gear faster than a local vendor? I mean, I can only imagine they would preference their own customers over local stores, but who knows...

Lets put it this way - Bintel is still showing backorder for a filter I ordered and received a month ago direct from ZWO.

And with ZWO honouring warranty if bought direct, where is there anything to lose, especially considering the not trivial monetary saving over buying from a reseller here.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:21 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
My Order, after 3 days, has made it from Shanghai to Brisbane. By DHL, that could be another 2 days to Townsville. So 5 days is not impossible.

Now for the "TOS bender of truth"... In many places, a manufacturer prioritising their dealer network is the "right thing to do". A Manufacturer, would offer a low price to Dealer, and never undercut them on direct sales. Furthermore, when stock is limited - send to dealer first. Having worked for Taiwanese and Mainlanders for 10 years, the sentiment above never applied with them. A sale was a sale, arrangements be damned.

Mods, feel free to delete this post. This answer was based on personal experience, which I hope meets the question asked. Lastly, being a direct customer, and not a dealer anymore, my concern is now minimal.

@LewisM - I concur, I saved about 40% on my purchase. I almost feel sorry for Aussie Dealers (The mechanics of AU economics are clear and need not be repeated). Price was 30% of my motivation. 70% was the fact I could actually get it. If ZWO are fulfilling their website orders before dealers, then dealers don't stand a chance sadly.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:47 AM
Rick101 (Rick)

Quote:
I ordered a canon adapter and a holder for my 1600 on Tuesday at lunch time, it was delivered yesterday. This is my second purchase direct from ZWO and won’t be the last.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:22 PM
Craig_

Interesting thoughts, thanks all. Sounds like ordering from ZWO is the go Anyone had experience with GST payments for expensive shipments? I’m talking camera bodies here. I assume small value items would fly under the radar but I’d imagine GST is, in some way or other, payable on cameras. Do the couriers hit you up for it or have these orders flown under the radar?
Old 03-08-2020, 11:19 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:

Are they still making the 071? Now that the 2600MC is out

Well, initially it was on backorder but then I got an email yesterday saying my order was complete! And the tracking shows they're both in Melbourne. Let's see how long it takes to clear customs.

Quote:

All I can say is the order was on backorder for only two days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Lets put it this way - Bintel is still showing backorder for a filter I ordered and received a month ago direct from ZWO.

And with ZWO honouring warranty if bought direct, where is there anything to lose, especially considering the not trivial monetary saving over buying from a reseller here.

Yeah, I basically bought one, got one free! In fact, both cameras came in cheaper than only buying one from Bintel.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:38 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Just an update, ordered a focal reducer from OPT on the 30th, delivered today!
Old 04-08-2020, 07:39 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
I just bought some adaptors from the ZWO site 20mins ago. I'll post again when it shows up.
Well, there we go. Got the box today. 8 days from the first business day following my order.

There was movement through DHL on a Sunday too - Not bad.
Edit. I ordered a wrong part which is too big - Not good.

Last edited by AndyG; 04-08-2020 at 08:32 PM.