Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-07-2020, 07:54 AM
robbo4 (Rob)

Had a delivery from Germany sent via UPS on16/ 7 and arrived in Melbourne on 21/7. Seems I need to pay Duty but no idea who to contact to do so .Any ideas anyone. ?
Old 23-07-2020, 11:07 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
I've been watching this topic with interest. Here's the journey so far, of three little star knob bolts ordered for my iOptron mount - not very expensive - all up about $78 including postage.
They were paid for/ordered on 3rd April 2020 from iOptron in the USA. On 11th May, 32 days later, they departed JFK airport in the US. Then 27 days later, they departed Chicago on 7th June. As part of their world tour, they next departed Tokyo, Japan on 18th June. Only 1 day later, on 19th June, they departed Sydney, Aust for Melbourne, and arrived the same day. They didn't like Melbourne and decided to go back to Sydney on 20th June. Too many on-board drinks I guess, because they changed their mind again, and went back to Melbourne for another look on 21st June.

Must have enjoyed Melbourne after all, and stayed until 1st July, where they were "processed" at a "facility" in Australia. I'm guessing that by this time, these 3 little bolts had come to the attention of Border Security, who would have been naturally suspicious of all the coming and goings, changed flights, various destinations etc.

I can only assume that they are still being interrogated - and you know how stubborn bolts can be - as there has been no further information since 1st July to now.

So far these bolts have been touring the US, Japan and Australia for 107 days. Must be getting short of spending money by now, and may eventually decide to come here to South Australia. But maybe they are too embarrassed, and will never show themselves .... perhaps too ashamed at their total disregard to comply with promised deliverance and salvation.

Buck
...Blimey

Last edited by FlashDrive; 23-07-2020 at 11:19 PM.
Old 24-07-2020, 12:13 AM
Aron

I had a pair of USB cables from taiwan (bought off ebay) and the border security opened it as well.

Quote:
I've been watching this topic with interest. Here's the journey so far, of three little star knob bolts ordered for my iOptron mount - not very expensive - all up about $78 including postage.
They were paid for/ordered on 3rd April 2020 from iOptron in the USA. On 11th May, 32 days later, they departed JFK airport in the US. Then 27 days later, they departed Chicago on 7th June. As part of their world tour, they next departed Tokyo, Japan on 18th June. Only 1 day later, on 19th June, they departed Sydney, Aust for Melbourne, and arrived the same day. They didn't like Melbourne and decided to go back to Sydney on 20th June. Too many on-board drinks I guess, because they changed their mind again, and went back to Melbourne for another look on 21st June.

Must have enjoyed Melbourne after all, and stayed until 1st July, where they were "processed" at a "facility" in Australia. I'm guessing that by this time, these 3 little bolts had come to the attention of Border Security, who would have been naturally suspicious of all the coming and goings, changed flights, various destinations etc.

I can only assume that they are still being interrogated - and you know how stubborn bolts can be - as there has been no further information since 1st July to now.

So far these bolts have been touring the US, Japan and Australia for 107 days. Must be getting short of spending money by now, and may eventually decide to come here to South Australia. But maybe they are too embarrassed, and will never show themselves .... perhaps too ashamed at their total disregard to comply with promised deliverance and salvation.

Buck

On other hand-anyone ordering from TS optics? So I want to try buying some things but recently I noticed they only charge USPS which is exorbitant-I don't need to pay 20kg box for 2kg worth of items. Is this normal?
Old 24-07-2020, 12:14 AM
Aron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
FLO gear arrived within a week, on a Sunday. DHL.
They do free shipping on sunday with DHL?
Old 24-07-2020, 07:40 AM
PeterM

Moonlite USA sent me a flange for my Lunt focuser by DHL. Cost was US$40 postage (ouch ..it weighs very little and is 70mm diameter x 10mm thick) but it arrived within 7days and was delivered to me on a Sunday. Every single touch was tracked very well and I was able to ring DHL on Sunday, get through straight away and discuss options to meet driver. Now having Lunt send me a B1200 blocking filter (about the size of a 2inch star diagonal) and using DHL @US$140 postage. Its a lot but the replacement cost is over $1000 and it will be here within 7days and tracked every step of the way.

Last edited by PeterM; 27-07-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 24-07-2020, 11:29 AM
carneb (Barry)

Quote:

Buck
Pity your'e not getting the frequent flyer miles.
Old 24-07-2020, 12:52 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

At about Day 10 - USPS delivery from precise parts - it is still in the USA at this stage ...
Old 26-07-2020, 04:33 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

My item ordered from AliExpress (Express? ) finally departed Singapore on the 23rd July - almost 2 months sitting in Singapore.

Might get here tomorrow if it hit Sydney on say Friday or Saturday.

This confirms one thing for me - if you shop China/Asia, make sure they send SpeedPak (which most of the free post stuff is). Unfortuinately I did not check AliExpress options on shipping, so it went their economy way.
Old 26-07-2020, 07:28 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron View Post
They do free shipping on sunday with DHL?

I paid for shipping, no extra for Sunday, though
Old 28-07-2020, 08:56 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

An update on my stuff, a couple of oddball bits from China are moving slowly, but moving, the tracking updates every couple of days versus the last USPS item which just sat dead in the water with no updates for months.

My new ASI2600 arrived via local retailer too all the while with the ZWO page still showing them as "backorder-Available July" and it is now sitting happily shooting a dark library while I await my new mount (Otherwise I have to steal my other one back off my son, which won't be popular)
Old 28-07-2020, 03:12 PM
glend (Glen)

Incredibly, the little Gerd Neumen Ronchi eyepiece that i ordered from Optcorp in California in mid-May, finally turned up at my place this afternoon. The last trace of it was at LAX on the 1st of June. Then nothing..... I emailed Opt Corp a week ago, they started an investigation with USPS, we're about to send me a refund, when by miracle it turns up at the end of July. The Startrack guy that delivered it said it just arrived at their depot in Sydney last night. Maybe they put it on a ship, who knows.
Old 29-07-2020, 08:48 AM
PeterM

My refurbished Lunt blocking filter was posted just this morning from Tucson using DHL. Already I have received 3 sms tracking from DHL and the parcel will arrive next Tuesday the 4th August. I was quoted US$90 UPS for shipping but chose DHL @ US$140 based on the cost of the item being over $1000 to replace and based on my last DHL experience.

Last edited by PeterM; 02-08-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 29-07-2020, 09:52 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
My refurbished Lunt blocking filter was posted just this morning from Tucson using DHL. Already I have received 3 sms tracking from DHL and the parcel will arrive next Tuesday the 4th August. I was quoted US$90 USPS for shipping but chose DHL @ US$140 based on the cost of the item being over $1000 to replace and based on my last DHL experience.
My Solar filter kit according to USPS is still going through customs at Chicago for exactly 1 month today.
It was sent from the Manufacturer 3 months ago,who by the way are 400 miles from Chicago,taking 2 months to get there, "Priority Paid".
Solar maximum will be over before I get it.
Cheers
Old 29-07-2020, 07:00 PM
PeterM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
My Solar filter kit according to USPS is still going through customs at Chicago for exactly 1 month today.
It was sent from the Manufacturer 3 months ago,who by the way are 400 miles from Chicago,taking 2 months to get there, "Priority Paid".
Solar maximum will be over before I get it.
Cheers
That is painful Ron. I have now had 8 updates (today) and my item is now at Los Angeles airport. Going on the last item I had shipped by DHL it only took a further 3 days from this point to arrive. Will be interesting to see.
Old 29-07-2020, 11:08 PM
Aron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
I paid for shipping, no extra for Sunday, though
That's great, last time I had it they just skip to monday. I thought sunday was supposed to be extra cost.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:54 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Got a set of narrowband filters on the way from the states... ordered last night, woke up to find they'd shipped already. Shipping via UPS the ETA is Aug 11.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:50 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Got a set of narrowband filters on the way from the states... ordered last night, woke up to find they'd shipped already. Shipping via UPS the ETA is Aug 11.
I got the same information from the company I ordered my product from
3 months ago,but they shipped by "USPS".
Last report is that my goods are "Still" in customs in Chicago Illinois and have been for the last month.
Best of luck with your delivery.
Cheers
Old 01-08-2020, 04:54 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
I got the same information from the company I ordered my product from
3 months ago,but they shipped by "USPS".
Last report is that my goods are "Still" in customs in Chicago Illinois and have been for the last month.
Best of luck with your delivery.
Cheers
Ouch! That's ridiculous. Hope you get your package soon. I'd heard about issues with USPS which is why I went with UPS... fingers crossed they do a better job than UPS.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:11 AM
PeterM

Quote:
Moonlite USA sent me a flange for my Lunt focuser by DHL. Cost was US$40 postage (ouch ..it weighs very little and is 70mm diameter x 10mm thick) but it arrived within 7days and was delivered to me on a Sunday. Every single touch was tracked very well and I was able to ring DHL on Sunday, get through straight away and discuss options to meet driver. Now having Lunt send me a B1200 blocking filter (about the size of a 2inch star diagonal) and using DHL @US$140 postage. Its a lot but the replacement cost is over $1000 and it will be here within 7days and tracked every step of the way.
Update, parcel arrived in Sydney this morning and still on track for Gold Coast delivery tomorrow.

Last edited by PeterM; 03-08-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:55 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Parcel arrived in Sydney this morning and still on tack for Gold Coast delivery tomorrow.
Stop making me jealous,Peter.
Cheers