Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 10-07-2020, 09:50 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Weight limit of the Skywatcher AZ-EQ6

Hi, i was just after a little bit of a second opinion and advise if possible on the Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 weight limit.

I was looking at purchasing a GSO 10" f/12 Classical Cassegrain Reflector Telescope, below is a link to what the scope is, I am looking at getting it from an Australian shop, just this link show what it is better:

https://agenaastro.com/gso-10in-f12-...russ-tube.html

It comes in at 38 pounds, so about 17kg.

I was looking at getting a package deal, the scope and the tripod.
The dealership i was looking to get it from is also adding a third counter weight for the tripod as they said it would be needed, also i will be getting a diagonal as well.

The dealership has said that the tripod will handle this scope ok, I did ask and mentioned about the added extra counter weight of 5kg, Diagonal and eyepieces, and was assured that it would handle it ok.

So i was just interested on a second opinion on this before i decided to put an order in.

Just thought i would ask as i am new to these tripod units, only been using Dobs on goto mounts so far.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:14 AM
sunslayr (David)

That seems ok to me for visual, might be pushing it if you wanted to go for some AP.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:22 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

For visual it’ll handle it fine but I do agree that you’ll need the third weight. I’ve used a Mewlon 250 (which pushes 20kg loaded) on an older EQ6 and AZ-EQ6 for visual and they’ve performed well. The tripod is a bit of a weak link in that the dampening times may be around the 3-5s mark but other than that, it’ll do the job.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:00 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yeah depends on the use case. They’re generally solid work horses within their limits.

For visual, an equatorial mount sticks the eyepiece in some interesting places, but that’s be a moot point for electronically assisted and/or planetary imaging.

For Deep Space imaging, I wouldn’t be overly concerned as much of the weight is concentrated at the back, like a large SCT. I know peeps with these mounts that use 6” refractors and large SCTs for long exposures without any trouble that would require skills outside of a dedicated astrophotographer...

As Colin says, I’d be looking at sticking it on a pier of upgrading the tripod to something like a Berlebach somewhere along the line.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:03 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

For visual use I would mount it in Alt-Az mode and like others have said, it should perform fine. I cant comment on something that big for AP but I got round stars out of my 9.25 SCT on my Orion Atlas (Same mount as the AZEQ6) with ten minute subs and a couple of test 20 minute ones.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:25 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Thanks, I appreciate the replies and inputs.
Sounds like it should be fine.
Appreciated.