Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-06-2020, 09:01 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Recommendations for File Backup, Cloud, NAS storage etc...

A question for the computer experts here about file backup.

Having done Astro for 7 years now - I'm trying out Backblaze for the first time as I have 10tb of stuff on a Synology DS418 NAS to upload/backup. (I'm a mac user.)

I did a test and loaded up a bunch of folders of family happy snaps. They uploaded into a bucket ok from my mac HD, but there's no folders anymore.
Backblaze seems to have unpacked all the folders and loaded the files randomly - so now I can't see where anything is!

Also, it's been very difficult trying to get the Synology NAS to talk to Backblaze as it keeps on rejecting the application keys. I've been backward and forward with Synology & Backblaze tech support, but no joy yet. Maybe I'm just better off buying a second NAS/Raid unit for offsite storage?

I assume I'm doing something wrong and would appreciate any insights you may have or good value alternative solutions for cloud storage.

Last edited by Andy01; 16-06-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 16-06-2020, 09:39 PM
BigNoel (Noel)

Maybe have a look at Duplicati (https://www.duplicati.com/); its a free backup agent that you can run on macOS (and Win/Linux) - it may even be available to be installed directly on your DS418.

It works with Backblaze B2 and bunch of others and it may give you that intermediate control to let you have more control of how the backup functions.

I've not used it myself though I see it pop up often in online forums. I'm still with Google Drive though I haven't accrued 7+ years of images!
Old 17-06-2020, 09:37 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

The big issue is the volume of data, how much does Backblaze cost?

I can see me ending up with a second NAS at some point, maybe at my sisters house so it is offsite with an initial replication done at home then over the web weekly for changes.
Old 17-06-2020, 11:54 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

I backup my NAS to a second NAS via RSync

The second NAS is a Raspberry Pi running Open Media Vault and a 6Tb USB external HDD. Total cost about $300. At the moment it’s in the same cupboard, but in due course I’ll move it to a mate’s house and back it via the internet. Cloud storage isn’t cheap.

DT
Old 18-06-2020, 09:25 AM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNoel View Post
Maybe have a look at Duplicati (https://www.duplicati.com/); its a free backup agent that you can run on macOS (and Win/Linux) - it may even be available to be installed directly on your DS418.
Cheers Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
The big issue is the volume of data, how much does Backblaze cost?
I've given up on trying to make Backblaze work - trying idrive now - it's A$215 for 10TB/2years - we have unlimited data with Telstra NBN- still trying to sync the Synology unit though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
I backup my NAS to a second NAS via RSync

The second NAS is a Raspberry Pi running Open Media Vault and a 6Tb USB external HDD. Total cost about $300. At the moment it’s in the same cupboard, but in due course I’ll move it to a mate’s house and back it via the internet. Cloud storage isn’t cheap.

DT
Either that or I could just get a second Raid unit...
Old 18-06-2020, 09:49 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

I have synced my Synology NAS directly with Microsoft OneDrive using the app Cloud Sync and the whole thing has been working beautifully.

A family subscription to office 365 for $129 annually gets the office suite of s/w for 6 machines and 6Tb of cloud storage - I think its so cheap its a no-brainer (I've a mere 2Tb in the cloud atm)

I did have an initial issue where the sheer number of files seemed to be causing a problem so I created a number of separate tasks in Cloud Sync for a number of sub-directories of my file system than just the root folder. Once I did that the problems disappeared.

Are you using Cloud Sync to connect to Backblaze?
Old 19-06-2020, 10:55 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with backblaze. Whilst my experience is limited to Windows 10, I can say I've been very happy with Backblaze for around 5 years now.

I did notice some screwiness when backblaze client tries to sync a folder associated with other cloud backup solutions. I have accounts with CloudStor, Dropbox, and Onedrive. Excluding these folders from the backup solves everything, and is no loss, as they manage themselves.

I've lost 3x 2Tb drives in 5 yrs (my fault, poor environment, very old disks, etc). Backblaze had everything back to me in a week.

Whilst I have no advice in your Mac environment, I encourage you to persist.
Old 21-06-2020, 08:59 AM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post
I have synced my Synology NAS directly with Microsoft OneDrive using the app Cloud Sync and the whole thing has been working beautifully.

A family subscription to office 365 for $129 annually gets the office suite of s/w for 6 machines and 6Tb of cloud storage - I think its so cheap its a no-brainer (I've a mere 2Tb in the cloud atm)

I did have an initial issue where the sheer number of files seemed to be causing a problem so I created a number of separate tasks in Cloud Sync for a number of sub-directories of my file system than just the root folder. Once I did that the problems disappeared.

Are you using Cloud Sync to connect to Backblaze?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with backblaze. Whilst my experience is limited to Windows 10, I can say I've been very happy with Backblaze for around 5 years now.

I did notice some screwiness when backblaze client tries to sync a folder associated with other cloud backup solutions. I have accounts with CloudStor, Dropbox, and Onedrive. Excluding these folders from the backup solves everything, and is no loss, as they manage themselves.

I've lost 3x 2Tb drives in 5 yrs (my fault, poor environment, very old disks, etc). Backblaze had everything back to me in a week.

Whilst I have no advice in your Mac environment, I encourage you to persist.
Hi Jonathan & Andy,
Thanks guys - After a bit of to-ing & fro-ing with Synology & idrive tech support, I have successfully linked my Synology unit to idrive's cloud storage platform. I tested files each way, uploading & retrieving them successfully. I have subscribed to their current US$149 10Tb/2 year deal.
Current progress report shows it will take a month to upload all the data via our unlimited home NBN plan.
Nice to know its finally backing up safely.
Old 21-06-2020, 09:43 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

That is one reason I am looking at getting a second NAS so that I can replicate first time at home and then arrange to store it connected ot the net at somewhere like my sisters place. Thanks to the NBN concept spruiked by Mal and Tony (Eveyone just wants it to watch netflix right?) the configuration has shifted and a couple of months ago (Just before we all started working form home, great timing) they slashed the max upload rate of the fixed wireless network by 75% (Extremely, painfully noticeable for anyone who uploads stuff) and reallocated the bandwitdth to download (To which it made no discernible difference) so in my case I would be lucky for the initial replication to be finished this year!