Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 18-10-2018, 12:12 AM
glend (Glen)

Andrews is having their 10% off sale -Skywatcher & GSO

Just noticed the Andrews is discounting Skywatcher and GSO scopes, mounts, bundles, etc in stock by another 10%. This brings the new Skywatcher ED150 down to $2700 (GST inclusive). Given that TASCO just raised the RRP on these, that is a pretty impressive price.
Sadly I am downsizing my gear now, but a smaller mount is a definite consideration.
Old 18-10-2018, 05:58 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Might be a good time to get that AZ-Eq6!
Old 18-10-2018, 06:53 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Until Andrews improves their website and brings the payment option in to the 21st century, I'll stick with other retailers.
Old 18-10-2018, 07:04 AM
DeWynter (ILYA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Until Andrews improves their website and brings the payment option in to the 21st century, I'll stick with other retailers.
Totally agree!

They are not working on Saturday or late Thursday so pick up option is only during mid-week when everyone is at work. No online payment processing and no online placing orders. Seriously?
Old 18-10-2018, 07:17 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWynter View Post
Totally agree!

They are not working on Saturday or late Thursday so pick up option is only during mid-week when everyone is at work. No online payment processing and no online placing orders. Seriously?
I suspect this is one way that they keep their costs down. Let's not forget that all retailers used to work this way, the convenience you seek cost money. You can still ring them and order over the phone.

I did not intend this observation of a sale to turn into another vendor bashing opportunity.

Last edited by glend; 18-10-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 18-10-2018, 07:44 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWynter View Post
So they are working the same hours as everyone else? Man... how dare they?
Old 18-10-2018, 09:06 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

On websites like Andrew's, CTRL-F is your friend. I have no problem with that, but for some, that seems archaic and problematic First world problems. I personally find Bintel's website horrible (worst search engine by far), so give me the simple stuff instead. Sure, you need to wade through a lot UNLESS you know your search term and use CTRL-F. Meh, no brainer.

Was considering a 72ED, but not now after alternator failed this morning - I swear there is a psychic phenomenon going on here

Thanks for bringing this news Glen. I was THIS CLOSE (Maxwell Smart voice) to ordering something until the alternator crapped itself.
Old 18-10-2018, 09:23 AM
brisen (Brian)

I stumbled across the sale on Tuesday as I have been looking for another scope. It was a simple matter of emailing to see if they had stock of the GSO 12" Truss RC and I had a response within half an hour confirming stock and pricing. Then just a simple matter of calling with the payment details and delivery details. Took all of 10 minutes to place the order and pay. Scope should be here tomorrow along with the rain.

Whilst they may not have online CC payment options, they do offer direct deposit as an online payment option once you have the account details from them.

Brian
Old 18-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Imme (Jon)

I used Andrews for a mount.

I rang them (on the telephone) and talked to a real person.
I then emailed them and got a response quickly.
I then rang back and gave my card details.
2 days later a mount that was $200 cheaper than anywhere else I could find arrived in great condition on my doorstep.

Personally I don't really see a prob with their service
Old 18-10-2018, 09:32 AM
nsavage (Nick)

Kind of makes me wish that I hadn't put a deposit down with a local retailer (who now doesn't respond to my emails) at the end of last month for a mount and scope at full retail that are apparently on back order until maybe the end of this month .
Old 18-10-2018, 10:36 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
On websites like Andrew's, CTRL-F is your friend. I have no problem with that, but for some, that seems archaic and problematic First world problems. I personally find Bintel's website horrible (worst search engine by far), so give me the simple stuff instead. Sure, you need to wade through a lot UNLESS you know your search term and use CTRL-F. Meh, no brainer.

Was considering a 72ED, but not now after alternator failed this morning - I swear there is a psychic phenomenon going on here

Thanks for bringing this news Glen. I was THIS CLOSE (Maxwell Smart voice) to ordering something until the alternator crapped itself.
Well I just rang to order a 72ED, and they are still not in stock, so not covered by the sale discount. Apparently TASCO have them.
Old 18-10-2018, 11:04 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Kind of luck for me I guess then HA HA (in a weird, obtuse way!)
Old 18-10-2018, 12:44 PM
DeWynter (ILYA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
So they are working the same hours as everyone else? Man... how dare they?
Bintel works on Saturday. Astro Anarchy works 7 days a week. And to be fair quite a lot of shops are open on Saturday and a few hours later on Thursday so you can pop into after work. Shops should be convenient for buyers, shouldn't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I suspect this is one way that they keep their costs down. Let's not forget that all retailers used to work this way, the convenience you seek cost money. You can still ring them and order over the phone.
True. I still remember a catalogues on websites in PDF with no search etc. I'm glad this time is over.
Also a new website with a shopping cart doesn't cost a lot nowadays. Astro Anarchy for example has a workable one. Not the best site anyway, but it has ability to order online and process payments via PayPal. Basically a shopping cart is provided by PayPal which costs nothing. Modern world dictates new ways of doing business. If a business doesn't accept or transform then they are loosing sales. That is the reality. I went through that with my own small business as well.
Old 18-10-2018, 02:28 PM
doug mc

This is the way i have been doing it for years with Andrews. Phone them , talk to Luke, give card details, gear arrives next day. Old fashioned, yes, hassle, no. You would be surprised to learn how many businesses get hacked, and your details taken. The Andrews way avoids that problem. I for one will keep shopping there.
Old 18-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

I bought an evo 72 from astro anarchy, they were the cheapest by far. You'll need a 50mm extension to achieve focus with a dslr( not sure about other cameras ). Waiting for these clouds to clear to give t first light.