Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 13-10-2018, 08:25 PM
tonybarry (Tony)

Alex, thanks for the jog trip down memory lane.

Fifty years ago I was ten, Neil was one year away from stepping on the moon, and my dad had a subscription to National Geographic. I was reading about Apollo 8's journey around the moon with Frank Borman, Jim Lovell and Bill Anders. (December 1968). I saw their earthrise image and could only dream of being there and being a part of it all.

I was way ahead of my mates at school thanks to those Nat.Geos. I had this tiny window every month to see out into the world of NASA, and it was like a dream - a wonderland. They were making the machines of the future, things that could not be dreamed of in the world I lived in.

My daughter cannot understand how information-poor we were. How much we did not know. How little we could find out. How long it took to learn anything. How easy it was to learn out-of-date stuff because Encyclopaedia Britannica had an article from 1930 as "the latest stuff".

Now we can learn as fast as we want, and in fact our biggest challenge is to sort out tripe from real facts. We have more connection with the rest of the world than ever before; we watch the Ryugu mission in pretty near real-time. It's great to be a part of it.

I appreciate the dirt bike world, though I was never a part of it. I spent my time dreaming of space, but had to settle for being a sparky. Now I have a telescope and can look out at the solar system, and I still dream.

Regards,
Tony Barry
WSAAG
Old 14-10-2018, 01:54 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Nothing to do with motocross and not 50 years ago (I was only 5 50 years ago!!) so 38 years will have to be close enough. The photo was taken at the first ever "Whitehorse Trophy" Archery Tournament that was run by my club back then, Box Hill City Archers. The year was 1980 and I was shooting in Under 18 Boys. We shot an unusual format comp that year, shooting an old English Hereford round which used 5 ring scoring and distances were in yards rather than metres. I was lucky enough to win the section (my second ever win!) and got to shoot on the same target as Carole Toy, who the year before had won a bronze medal at the World Championships in Berlin and went on to represent Australia at the Moscow Olympics later that year after resisting the bucket loads of money the Fraser Government threw around to persuade athletes to boycott. I recently discovered that I still have my old bow in a box that I have carted around for the last 30 odd years.
If you read the article, it has nothing to do with the photo BTW!! The cutting is from the old Progress Press paper in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20181014_0002.jpg)
225.4 KB6 views