Old 17-09-2018, 08:08 AM
Astrofriend (Lars)

Star party at MAK, Mariestad, Sweden

Hi all,
I wrote earlier about a Star Party here in Sweden, now I have been on a second one this year, the MAK or Mariestad Star Party.

I took some photos from the party and wrote some text to it for all people that couldn't visit the party, you can see them here:

http://www.astrofriend.eu/travel/swe...arty-2018.html

There is also some photos from the travel to the party and back home.

I hope some of you can visit Sweden in the future.

BR
Lars
Old 17-09-2018, 10:18 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Lovely report on your Swedish star party, Lars Nice to see our brothers and sisters doing their thing on the other side of the world

Alex.
Old 17-09-2018, 11:35 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Nice report. Seeing all those beautiful timber scopes makes me think that Ikea should bring out a line of flat pack dobs.
Old 20-09-2018, 04:55 AM
Astrofriend (Lars)

Hi Patrick and Alexander,
Thanks for the comments, I will try to find out more about these old telescopes, I must only find boys old enough to have something to tell.

The last years I and my girlfriend had been at many Astronomy meetings, here is the ones I have taken photos from:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/travel/swe...el-sweden.html

We have also tried to find interesting astronomy related things when we travel around the world:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/...ory-sites.html

On Sunday we go to Crete, I have seen on the internet that there an observatory site at the south-East. If we are lucky we maybe can make a visit to that place.

/Lars
Old 23-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Astrofriend (Lars)

Now I'm back with more information about the old wooden telescopes. I got help from Martin who know a lot of these telescopes.

If you scroll down 3/4, almost the bottom of the page you find the three telescopes I wrote about earlier. I know have added more information about them.

http://www.astrofriend.eu/travel/swe...arty-2018.html

In a few hours we leave for Crete, island of Greece, who knows what we find down there? I know about the Skinakas observatory.

Astronomy lowers
Lars and Gunilla
Old 26-09-2018, 10:06 PM
Wavytone

Hi Lars,

Congratulations that looks like was a nice star party and it seems you had some clear skies.

I just returned home after spending 20 days on holiday in China with my family. While there it was evident the air pollution was so bad - even in the country 2000 km from Beijing - most days the air is a grey fog - the sun is not visible at all. I found it rather tragic that ⅓ of the world population will never actually see a clear night sky with the Milky Way with their own eyes, and all they know of it is from movies.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:31 PM
Astrofriend (Lars)

Hi Nick,
Yes the air pollution and the light pollution killing the astronomy hobby for us.

I just came home from Crete, no smog and relative dark, but cloudes. One night there was gaps in the cloudes and we could see the Moon and some stars from the village where we lived. Now it wasn't for the astronomy we visited Crete, it was for the archeology.

We also rent a car to visit (try to visit) an observatory, the Skinaka. I will write a report about that later.

/Lars