Old 17-08-2020, 09:54 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Really needing 2 scopes

Hi again,

I asked this question before but i wasn't very specific about it, now i have to be much specific and narrowed in requirements or points of those two scopes, hope i can get the answer.

1. They must be the same exactly, like i buy two pieces and not different, so if 80mm APO then both are 80APO same FL, or 10" SCT then both are 10" SCT of same brand and so on, not one 80mm and other 120mm or one 6" and another 8".

2. They must be cheap, means one isn't more than $600 so both are maximum to US$1200.

3. Lightweight, means less then 8KG for one as i will add accessories, hopefully they are not exceeding 15KG both with accessories, i use AZ-EQ6.

4. FOV or FL is in the range of 400-650mm, no 200-300mm and no longer than 700mm anyway.

5. Both are fast, means no slower than F/6, unless i get f/7 then using a powerful reducer such as 0.7x for example.

6. Both are good for RGB, narrowbanding isn't an issue, but i won't make this RGB as must, so if it can produce nice RGB then fine, if not then NB is the main reason/purpose, i am using mono and OSC [cooled, no DSLR].

Urgent and very necessary please, so waiting your recommendations.
Old 17-08-2020, 10:05 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Thats a heavily constrained criteria for purchase!
The only thing that comes to mind for me is the skywatcher evostar 72ed, with flattener I guess will get it done within budget?

The orion 80ED might be close, but with reducer is more like 700USD+ for your speed requirements.
Old 17-08-2020, 10:12 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Thats a heavily constrained criteria for purchase!
The only thing that comes to mind for me is the skywatcher evostar 72ed, with flattener I guess the will get it done within budget?

The orion 80ED might be close, but with reducer is more like 700USD+ for your speed requirements.
The price is only for the scope, not for accessories coming or necessary for it such as focuser or reducer/flattener/corrector, so only calculate the scope price without any extras, the extras will have another separate budget later after done with scopes first.

Well, i already looked at 72mm scopes, not bad, they are in my mind or the Wishlist, but not yet confirmed to be the only or final choice.

Remember, it doesn't have to be a refractor, i do have 6" F/4 Newtonian, it is not much heavy really, but i don't know if my mount can handle two 6" F4 Newt with access.

Thanks for answering me at least, so appreciate it
Old 17-08-2020, 10:29 AM
sunslayr (David)

Have you considered a pair of the Sharpstar 76EDPH? It's a 418mm f5.5 apo and reviews quite well. I think it's about $699 US though.
Old 17-08-2020, 10:36 AM
Xeteth (David)

You might consider the William Optics Zenithstar 81. They might be a little over your price range (~$800 USD each) but you could look at potential second hand options to fit within your budget.

https://williamoptics.com/products/t.../zenithstar-81
Old 17-08-2020, 10:38 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunslayr View Post
Have you considered a pair of the Sharpstar 76EDPH? It's a 418mm f5.5 apo and reviews quite well. I think it's about $699 US though.
From where did you find it for ~US$700? And does that including the reducer/flattener? if not then it is still over priced as both will cost me ~US$1400, i already mentioned i will put max $1200, but i will think about it and see, i already saw a triplet maybe at that price tag of $700-850.
Old 17-08-2020, 10:40 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeteth View Post
You might consider the William Optics Zenithstar 81. They might be a little over your price range (~$800 USD each) but you could look at potential second hand options to fit within your budget.

https://williamoptics.com/products/t.../zenithstar-81
Z7x can be cheaper, but i am trying to go with brand new, and i already said two, so i may find one used but not both and i can't be sure their conditions, i prefer to have them new and never look back or worry.

TS has scope at 80mm range with good price, but i can't be sure hw good is TS compared to Skywatcher and WO for example.
Old 17-08-2020, 11:06 AM
sunslayr (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
From where did you find it for ~US$700? And does that including the reducer/flattener? if not then it is still over priced as both will cost me ~US$1400, i already mentioned i will put max $1200, but i will think about it and see, i already saw a triplet maybe at that price tag of $700-850.
It was on aliexpress here $750 but there might be some available local. Of course if it's not worth it for you to get a triplet then something else would be better.
Old 17-08-2020, 11:38 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
The price is only for the scope, not for accessories coming or necessary for it such as focuser or reducer/flattener/corrector, so only calculate the scope price without any extras, the extras will have another separate budget later after done with scopes first.
Quote:
From where did you find it for ~US$700? And does that including the reducer/flattener? if not then it is still over priced as both will cost me ~US$1400, i already mentioned i will put max $1200,
I'm now not 100% sure if your budget of $1200 does or does not include flatteners or reducers.
Old 17-08-2020, 11:39 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Tareq, How about the Black Diamond AP 130 reflector from Skywatcher. Fairly cheap,good optics, light. F5
Cheers, Richard.
Old 17-08-2020, 11:51 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunslayr View Post
It was on aliexpress here $750 but there might be some available local. Of course if it's not worth it for you to get a triplet then something else would be better.
Oh, i didn't see that link before or maybe i passed it, but i will think i have to wait to see if i can increase my budget or not, because if i can't then this will be a waste, but thank you very much for the link.
Old 17-08-2020, 11:52 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
I'm now not 100% sure if your budget of $1200 does or does not include flatteners or reducers.
$1200 is for the scopes only[ota or tube] without flatteners or reducers.
Old 17-08-2020, 11:53 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
Hi Tareq, How about the Black Diamond AP 130 reflector from Skywatcher. Fairly cheap,good optics, light. F5
Cheers, Richard.
You mean 130PDS?

I keep coming back and forth to this scope really, now the question is, can it handle the weight of cooled camera with filter wheel and coma corrector?
Old 17-08-2020, 12:00 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

https://skywatcheraustralia.com.au/p...reflector-ota/

This one Tareq
Old 17-08-2020, 12:09 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
I believe this is already 130PDS, or maybe just 130P, so my question is still applicable, can this scope/OTA handle weight without issues?
Old 17-08-2020, 01:20 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

At 6 kilo per ota it fits well under the 8kg you asked for . Heavier than the 72 refractor I guess but lot more light gathering and no CA. Hopefully the weight would be fine for you. I guess that all you would need extra is a coma corrector?
Cheers, Richard.
Old 17-08-2020, 02:56 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
At 6 kilo per ota it fits well under the 8kg you asked for . Heavier than the 72 refractor I guess but lot more light gathering and no CA. Hopefully the weight would be fine for you. I guess that all you would need extra is a coma corrector?
Cheers, Richard.
Well, my question is different, i was meaning the weight of the focuser to handle imaging system as camera and filter wheel and corrector all together, no slipping or tilt maybe.

I do have one corrector, i will buy another if i end up with two anyway.
Old 18-08-2020, 12:32 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads...1567183633.jpg
Here is a picture from cloudynights
Cheers,Richard.
Old 19-08-2020, 07:57 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads...1567183633.jpg
Here is a picture from cloudynights
Cheers,Richard.
Ok, sounds it can handle then, thank you very much!