Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 10-11-2018, 05:07 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Having gone from an EQ6 to a mount with absolute encoders I’d say they’re absolutely amazing
Old 10-11-2018, 05:35 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Having gone from an EQ6 to a mount with absolute encoders I’d say they’re absolutely amazing
Well maybe... but raising the mount price to $30K..?....Hmmm?..maybe not
Old 10-11-2018, 05:43 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I have to ask, what's the fun if you don't have to twist your neck to get your eyeball close enough to the finder through all the USB cables in the way and use averted vision to figure out by how far you've missed?
Old 10-11-2018, 06:41 PM
Marke (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I have to ask, what's the fun if you don't have to twist your neck to get your eyeball close enough to the finder through all the USB cables in the way and use averted vision to figure out by how far you've missed?
Ah you poor g11 owner no cable issues with AP all thru mount
Old 10-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
I figured these mounts and its predecessors, have given faithful and very accurate service without AE's for a long time, so why did I need them and at the significant extra cost?
When I read Roland’s explanation of the benefits, I’m sold. I just can’t afford them ATM. For me, the encoders as an “option” future proofs these AP mounts. At least that’s what I tell myself... I’m not sure that you can user/home install encoders in the equivalents (e.g. ME2). A trip back to Colorado perhaps?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:54 PM
DJT (David)

Congrats on the choice of mount, Mike. You are going to love it. Enjoy!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:25 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post
When I read Roland’s explanation of the benefits, I’m sold. I just can’t afford them ATM. For me, the encoders as an “option” future proofs these AP mounts. At least that’s what I tell myself... I’m not sure that you can user/home install encoders in the equivalents (e.g. ME2). A trip back to Colorado perhaps?
From what I have read that is the case.

Congrats on the new mount Mike. When does it actually get into your hands?
Old 11-11-2018, 07:04 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

AP make sublime pieces of kit.....the AP 1600 addition to Mike’s system will make it a humble $60k or so ensemble

The dark side is just too powerful
Old 11-11-2018, 01:51 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post
Same here Logan, it was a big decision but I decided, along with the desire for some of the new electronic capabilities of the modern non AE mount, the NJP really needed some relief from the mule like expectations I had her under ... and the extra $'s for the AE's was just too far to reach but who knows, as you suggest, some time down the track maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
Congrats on the choice of mount, Mike. You are going to love it. Enjoy!
Cheers Dave, hope you're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Congrats on the new mount Mike. When does it actually get into your hands?
Thanks Chris, OPT had 1600's without AE in stock, so hopefully the back ordered items will be in soon so perhaps end of the month or early Dec?

Mike
Old 12-11-2018, 07:22 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Congratulations once again Mike.

Is the APCC Pro included with the mount? I think it would be quite useful in a permanent obsy.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:30 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Congratulations once again Mike.

Is the APCC Pro included with the mount? I think it would be quite useful in a permanent obsy.
Cheers Suavi

Not sure about apcc, good question ...better find out

Mike
Old 12-11-2018, 11:57 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

I'd recommend getting APCC. I had a pier collision the other night after SGP malfunctioned which would have been prevented had I actually enabled APCC's tracking limits. Not sure if that's included with the pro or standard version though (I have pro).

You get a 30% discount on APCC if you buy it within a short window after your mount purchase... I chose to buy the pro version as I figured I'd get the best out of my mount with it and when you're spending that kind of money on the hardware it didn't make sense to me to cheap out on the software.
Old 14-11-2018, 08:17 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
I'd recommend getting APCC. I had a pier collision the other night after SGP malfunctioned which would have been prevented had I actually enabled APCC's tracking limits. Not sure if that's included with the pro or standard version though (I have pro).

You get a 30% discount on APCC if you buy it within a short window after your mount purchase... I chose to buy the pro version as I figured I'd get the best out of my mount with it and when you're spending that kind of money on the hardware it didn't make sense to me to cheap out on the software.
It's all a bit new and I don't have her yet but, yes Lee I think I will get it...

Mike
Old 14-11-2018, 11:24 AM
Marke (Mark)

I've had APCC some time now just regular version . I think the main difference is the pro allows for multi point modeling as I can do horizon and pier limits with my version.
Old 14-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

From the AP website:

Features of APCC Pro:
-All of the features of APCC Standard.
-Dual-model pointing and tracking rate correction even with the telescope in the counterweight UP position.
-Supports THUM temperature reading sensors.
-Includes a separate application to acquire Pointing/Tracking model data (APPM).
-Camera options: Maxim, Sequence Generator Pro, ASCOM camera and SkyX Image Linking camera Add-on (APPM)
-Plate solving choices: PinPoint, Sequence Generator Pro (tested with PlateSolveX), SkyX Plate Solving Note: these programs must be purchased separately.(APPM)
Old 14-11-2018, 11:02 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Congrats Mike

The AP 1100 mounts at the school obs have been fantastic.

DT
Old 15-11-2018, 06:57 AM
DJT (David)

Hi MikeJust on telescope limits, if you chose the handset option you can set safe limits from there without buying software. Same applies for setting horizons. Not sure what you plan to do for telescope control but you will have a couple of options at least.
Time to download the mount manual and if needed the keyboard one. Makes for a good read.
Enjoy
Old 15-11-2018, 08:09 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
Hi MikeJust on telescope limits, if you chose the handset option you can set safe limits from there without buying software. Same applies for setting horizons. Not sure what you plan to do for telescope control but you will have a couple of options at least.
Time to download the mount manual and if needed the keyboard one. Makes for a good read.
Enjoy
Cheers David, yes I got the hand control as I figured that would be able to do most things I needed anyway and then I would connect it to my planetarium/sky map software STAR Atlas pro. or get another program like the The Sky etc..?

Good idea about downloading the manuals

Mike
Old 15-11-2018, 08:14 AM
Marke (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Cheers David, yes I got the hand control as I figured that would be able to do most things I needed anyway and then I would connect it to my planetarium/sky map software STAR Atlas pro. or get another program like the The Sky etc..?

Good idea about downloading the manuals

Mike
It works very well with THesky X Mike and the camera addon does a good job with closed loop slew / plate solve as well
Old 15-11-2018, 10:00 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
It works very well with THesky X Mike and the camera addon does a good job with closed loop slew / plate solve as well
I'll probably just keep using STAR Atlas.Pro for pointing and Astroart for camera control, at least initially...changing the mount seems scary enough for the moment ...I'll leave changing the software (that I have been using for 12 and 15 years respectively ) for another time...

Mike