Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 03-01-2019, 01:01 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Totally agree Marc good idea
Better still how about an insectometer , there’s every creepy crawly and flying insect around your imaging rig all night down here,you have to soak yourself in Deet just to check how your imaging is going !!
Old 03-01-2019, 10:03 PM
Wavytone

That would make for some interesting comparisons across the network of weather stations !
Old 04-01-2019, 07:38 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Chickened out last night. The clouds didn't go away until 22:30 and there were a lot of small storm cells on the radar so I thought not worth the risk. It was clear later on though but woke up to cloudy skies again. Anyone out imaging last night? Today's very hazy and it's going to be hot. So not sure. Then tomorrow the cold front will bring strong wind for sure.

Last edited by multiweb; 04-01-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:05 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Clear all night down the south coast, started NGC 2244 but had to bring the OTA inside and do some running repairs on the primary mirror spacers ( damn cork gets compressed and gives way after time )
Got back out at 10.00pm and took 30 x 5 minute subs and darks , finished at 2.30am
Back out tonight again, clear day and night , the Milky Way was painted across the sky last night so vivid , it was beautiful !!
Cheers
Old 04-01-2019, 11:13 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Clear all night down the south coast, started NGC 2244 but had to bring the OTA inside and do some running repairs on the primary mirror spacers ( damn cork gets compressed and gives way after time )
Got back out at 10.00pm and took 30 x 5 minute subs and darks , finished at 2.30am
Back out tonight again, clear day and night , the Milky Way was painted across the sky last night so vivid , it was beautiful !!
Cheers
So jealous! I was planning on starting some subs on the Rosette after finishing off the Tarantula. Tonight looks too bloody hot as well. Still around 30c most of the night. I'm not that keen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ACCESS_000-024_mg_nsw_live.jpg)
103.3 KB12 views
Old 12-01-2019, 03:10 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Setting up tonight. Looks like a decent night.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:09 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Looking great for tonight down the south coast , extended family are down so setting up the 12” Goto Dob in the front driveway for visuals on M42 and some globs etc and setting up the imaging rig in the backyard to continue with the Rosette Nebula
Going to try more shorter subs with a higher ISO say 60 x 2 minute at ISO 1600 plus darks , PHD2 guiding of course
Good luck who ever is out tonight !!
Cheers
Old 01-02-2019, 09:19 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Sunday night (3rd) is still looking pretty good.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:05 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Yep Sunday night is on
Heading down the coast on Sunday morning to my holiday pad for 2 weeks ( hopefully February will be kind to us - December and January were very ordinary ( only 3 or 4 good nights over the whole period , but expected )
My rig is already set up with a cover over it from 2 weeks ago , just have to mount the OTA and camera etc. and plug in
Then Thursday onwards is looking ok too ( fingers crossed )
Cheers
Old 01-02-2019, 05:25 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Better get my dew heater back together. Or is that asking for trouble
Old 01-02-2019, 07:14 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I'd really like to get the Rosette this year. Missed out on it last year with unstable weather and again all orion was a wash up this season with the heat.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Just arrived at Tabby and there is a little cloud...well a lot☺ but it wont rain unfortunately.
I am actually happy as if it was clear I would have to set up notwithstanding 10 hours on the road (in the car of course).

Anyways dragged all the gear back up yet again....it is amazing how much stuff goes to make up a set up...all the little things...tools tape spare batteries little lights battery charger battery solar panel scope mount and camera ...beach umbrella 12 volt fans dslr camera and bag of stuff.. insect repelant...lap top , inverter, power cords etc... table chair walki g stick☺ I use a shooting stick very handy item... my little car is packed to the brim... could hardly fit in the gold panning gear☺.

Alex
Old 02-02-2019, 07:56 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Chris
I set my dew kit up all year round on the scope regardless , you never know being near the coast
Marc
Still plenty of time to capture the Rosette and Orion , still up fairly high moving from east to west crossing the north meridian.February temps should be a bit lower we hope
Alex
You forgot to mention the esky

Sunday is on for me down the coast clear day and night and maybe Monday night as well , night temp around 21 deg with a light north Easter and nice and dark. Going to image Eta Carinae
Hope you all have clear skies
Cheers
Old 02-02-2019, 09:16 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It rained last night thank goodness.
Today I am making a silver cover for the gear.
I found that those sunshields you use in the car are best to keep the gear cool. Its just a big bag approx mtr x mtr and I will add a 12 volt fan. I found the beach umbrella was getting blown off...and although I will fix that problem in the future I think the silver bag will work great and at the end of the night just so easy to throw over the gear.
Still got about 6 meters of this stuff left so might do some cuts to cover the car dash etc...custom fit☺
Actually a hat out of this stuff would be good ...tin foil hats work well to keep the heat out as well as alien mind bending attacks☺.
Just realised there is a lot of sand up the back brought from the Rocky River for the horses lunging yard..I may try panning and see if there is gold in it...wouldnt that be a laugh...but there is a good chance I could get colour.

Have unloaded the car (what an effort that was) but its a little drizzly so will wait before setting up...still setting up in rain could be good experience for setting up in rain.
Alex
Old 02-02-2019, 09:25 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Good luck Alex (with everything in that load) and Marc (with the rosette)
Old 02-02-2019, 11:29 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Finished the silver bag now for some panning☺
Alex
Old 09-02-2019, 04:49 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Three clear nights forecast in Sydney. It might be windy and the seeing is atrocious. but hey... it's clear.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:54 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Three clear nights forecast in Sydney. It might be windy and the seeing is atrocious. but hey... it's clear.
The wind should die off after dark, and the Seeing should improve by midnight as the sky cools down.. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:28 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I’m down at my holiday place near Ulladulla and CFN has the next 4 nights clear down here with seeing improving by tomorrow night.
Just going to use the 12” GoTo Dob tonight for some visuals out the front and the Astro rig is set up out the back ready for tomorrow night onwards
Take advantage of the clear nights as this summer has been ordinary along the mid to south NSW coastal strip ( to be expected I suppose )
Clear Skies
Cheers
Old 09-02-2019, 05:52 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Will set up the FSQ. I reckon the seeing won't be good enough to image at long FL and surface wind might be an issue too.