Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 01-01-2019, 12:59 PM
beren

Vixen Starbook 10 update problem

Hi just seeing if anyone uses a Vixen mount with Starbook 10 and have experience updating the firmware. I have a SXD2 with version 3.20 firmware on the SB10, the latest firmware recently released is version 5.00. The mount works great really impressed with it and SB10 but have tried a number of times updating the firmware with no success. Main motivation for the update is to utilise the lastest Vixen ascom driver to work with APT and Astroart7.

The instructions in the manual and on the Vixen main site are easy to follow and I have the correct Lan crossover cable and have downloaded the firmware update before connecting to upload to the handbox. Followed the correct connection sequence, powered laptop, Sb10 handbox shows Lan connection 169.254.1.1..

Entered Http://169.254.1.1 in the web browser for the Vixen firmware uploader page, selected the previously downloaded vixen version 5.0 file, hit submit. At the bottom of the page it comes up with a message the file is being uploaded with a 0-100% scale, this takes about a minute. During this the SB10 end both amber and green lights are solid and on the Ethernet status on the laptop it shows data movement.

Both in the manual and the instructions on the Vixen website show once the file is selected and submitted the screen on the SB10 should show a Program update box indicting status and final status with confirmation that the update was successful plus confirmation should appear on the web browser page as well. Both of these don't appear, no confirmation on the SB10 or Vixen page.

Have followed the instructions to go into the Ethernet properties screen and
entered manually 169.254.0.2 in the Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) table. This doesn't appear to work either. Have tried resetting
SB10 to default, taken the internal battery out and rebooted and gone through the sequences once again but to no avail. Have noticed after each time at trying to upload the file the SB10 screen when navigating out of the main menu screen a similar sized box appears with a mish/mash of colour static appears and doesn't disappear until I power down and reboot the SB10. I'm running windows 10 too.

Have submitted an inquiry on the Vixen Japan help page yesterday hopefully they may get back but if anyone has any advice be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Stuart
Old 01-01-2019, 01:41 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Hi Stuart,

Something is weird here. I don't have any issues in updating my Starbook Ten. Does it actually show the progress itself? You mentioned it shows the 0-100% scale but does it also show its progress rate? What do you see after it reaches 100%?

I"m wondering if you've updated your Starbook Ten previously (e.g. from 3.10 to 3.20, etc.). If you have and you can't go to 5.00, then I'm wondering if that jump is too big - that you have to jump to a staging 4.20 before to 5.00.

Cheers,
Sean
Old 01-01-2019, 01:59 PM
beren

Hi Sean

Thank you for the feedback, appreciate it. The screen on the SB10 shows no indication or box with update progress or update finished, the line with the LAN address seems to pulsate though and the Ethernet cable socket in the SB10 shows both solid green and amber lights while the 0-100% upload on the Vixen uploaded web page is in progress. Once the it hits 100% on the web page there is no further message to indicate the upload was successful. I have carefully followed the directions, it seems a pretty simple procedure and I did think what you suggested the jump from 3.20 to 5.00 might be to big. I tried searching last night for the previous version 4 update but no luck. Hopefully Vixen Japan might get back soon ( not sure if they might be closed with Xmas and new year). I brought the mount second hand a few months ago and it works perfectly, very impressed with it and SB10, this is the first little stumbling block but as mentioned I just want to utilise the latest Vixen ASCOM driver that only works with the latest SB10 firmware.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 04-01-2019, 04:22 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Stuart, apologies I completely forgot about this thread after posting. When I get home tonight, I’ll share with you my interim firmwares (think I 3.5, 4.x, 4.2) via Dropbox.

I may try to simulate an upgrade myself (although I’m already on 5) just to refresh my mind on what I see on the screen. Hopefully it’ll let me upgrade from 5.00 to 5.00.

The flashing lights on the Ethernet port may not necessarily indicate actual firmware data traffic but just TCP protocols sync, etc. Well depends on how fast it flashes I guess?

Anyhow, will try to simulate it and share the interim firmwares with you tonight after work.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:40 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

G'day Stuart,
I may be way off the mark here, but consider the possibility of the webgui not rendering properly in the browser of your Win10 (with presumably modern browser in use).

I have zero experience with Vixen anything, but just reflecting on experience with some Panasonic IP Cams I deal with. In these, the more animated and interactive features simply don't appear within the browser, unless I use something old (say firefox 30ish), or using "compatibility mode" in later versions of IE. Just a thought
Old 04-01-2019, 04:45 PM
beren

Great thanks a lot Sean much appreciated been in contact with the local agent and waiting for feedback from Vixen too, cheers mate.

Thanks Andy good idea will check it out , thank you
Old 04-01-2019, 10:39 PM
beren

Thanks Sean and Andy looks like I have gotten the update to work. As you suggested Andy I tried another browser, Firefox, and the update worked and is loaded on my Starbook 10 hand control. Tried a few of my astro programs and the new Vixen ascom driver connected them all. Great stuff thank you both for the input......happy chappie

Last edited by beren; 10-01-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:28 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

That's awesome . I got home late and only managed to upload my firmwares but didn't get to try. Glad it all worked out for you.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:56 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

That's excellent to hear Stuart, thank for the feedback.
Enjoy