Old 14-12-2018, 02:06 PM
FredinBroome (Fred)

H everyone from Broome WA

Hello all, my name is Fred and I've just joined this forum. I own a Saxon 200/1200 solid tube dobsonian scope which I haven't even received yet as its still on the road. I know the wet season isn't the best time to buy a scope but the price was right so I couldn't resist.

I'm excited to use my telescope and learn new things about the night sky. I will properly introduce my kids to astronomy as well. We acquired an F36050 telescope which is a piece of rubbish and which was useless to show even the moon to the kids. This was what also inspired me to by a real one heheh. I look forward to picking the brains of many of the members here to improve over time my experience.

Cheers Fred
Old 14-12-2018, 02:11 PM
gary

Hi Fred,

Welcome to IceInSpace.

Hopefully you will still get some clear skies during the wet.

When it is clear, you are lucky to have such wonderful skies in your corner
of the country, so that is a major compensation.

Enjoy!

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Mount Kuring-Gai NSW 2080
Old 14-12-2018, 02:48 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Fred , mate you will be blown away by what the new 8 inch Dob will show compared to the 50mm trash scope , I know how bad they are as I found one in a skip bin and had a play and yes they are worse than useless but at least you have a real good scope on the way .

Enjoy it and as they say ,,,, it didn't happen without photos .

Brian.
Old 14-12-2018, 03:19 PM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Hi Gary,

Yeah I look forward to cool clear evenings and will probably have half a clue to what I'm doing by then heheh. I have a street light on the front yard of my house and hope it doesn't pose a problem. Other than that I have plenty of open skies once the stars, planets etc rise above the shrubs and trees
Old 14-12-2018, 03:24 PM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Hello Brian,

I'm really excited to get out there but I have some work in front of me cleaning up the backyard, a job I've put off for a while. I tried the 50mm scope the other day on the moon. It took ages to get it into view of the objective and when I let my daughter have a look, she lightly bumped it and the moon was gone. I think the "F" in the F36050 actually stands for frustrating haha
Old 14-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

Hey Fred,

Welcome mate, this is a great community here on IIS.

We spent the last week and a bit of July in Broome, wifey had been trying to get me to go for 15 years.......I loved the place and the atmosphere!!! So much so that we have booked for late Aug and the first week of Sept., to go back there. This time it will be less touristy and more about photography and enjoying the area.

I've been trying to contact Greg Quicke that runs Astrotours over there but he's apparently tripping around over this side of the country atm.

I think you're going to enjoy your new 'scope and it probably won't be long before you want to go bigger.

Cheers mate.
Old 14-12-2018, 04:13 PM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrock View Post
Hey Fred,

Welcome mate, this is a great community here on IIS.

We spent the last week and a bit of July in Broome, wifey had been trying to get me to go for 15 years.......I loved the place and the atmosphere!!! So much so that we have booked for late Aug and the first week of Sept., to go back there. This time it will be less touristy and more about photography and enjoying the area.

I've been trying to contact Greg Quicke that runs Astrotours over there but he's apparently tripping around over this side of the country atm.

I think you're going to enjoy your new 'scope and it probably won't be long before you want to go bigger.

Cheers mate.
Hello Chris,

I'm sure you enjoyed yourself in Broome in the best months of the season. As a local of sorts, I find that the town is a bit busy at that time of year and enjoy the off season when its quiet but unfortunately hot and probably not the best time for astronomy.

I know Greg and will be letting him know of my telescope acquisition when it arrives and also when he's in town as he's a busy person these days. I'm sure he'll give me a few good tips.