Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2018, 10:35 PM
RyanJones

DSS Question

Hi All,

With a collage of beautiful images adorining this page, I feel a little guilty writing a post with no image attached but it's the only place I know appropriate for an image based question so here we go.

I've spent 2 sessions to date collecting data on Horsehead and Flame. The first session was with about 50% moon in the sky but somewhere in the region of 40-45deg from the object. I was pretty happy with the result but it was commented that I could stretch it some more to reveal more. I tried but it became noisey so my figuring was to collect more data.

The second session was last Friday night. There was no moon while I was collecting the data and seeing was beautiful. Alas, for what ever reason DSS scored the data lower by about 20%. The lower scores in the second session wasn't as low as the lower scores from the first though so I would say not as good but more consistent. When I stacked the two sessions together though, I lost a considerable amount of nebulosity and ended up with a far worse image to take into processing

So my question is, is there a golden rule for the score deviation between best and worst images used ? I have it set to use the best 80% but should I be only checking scores above 'x' with relation to my reference frame score ? Or is it because I stacked them all together and not in seperate tabs in DSS ?

The answer to this may explain some other goings on that I've had from multiple session images not improving the final product.

I thank you all in advance for your input.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:39 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Look.at each image and decide to put it in the stack.
Alex
Old 04-12-2018, 12:11 AM
glend (Glen)

You can grade them before you put them into DSS. SGP has an image grader, it will run through an entire file and grade them all, then you can decide which ones you go forward with.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

I've come across a similar scenario Ryan. Did you use Darks, flats etc?

I'd try restacking but delete all the Master darks / flats that DSS created and try again.

Not saying it will work, but it did solve my similar problem only 2 weeks or so ago.