Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-01-2015, 04:11 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Would we see colour in a nebula if we were right up close to one?

Here's something I've been pondering for some time (meaning of life can wait a bit longer... ). Long exposure photos, and even with just highly sensitive CCD's we can see colour in nebulae. Even with a big dob we can see pink and blue coming of M42. But, if we were much closer to a bright nebula like M42, would our eyes be able to detect any colour coming off it? Just our naked, unassisted eyes. Colour or not?

Mental.
Old 16-01-2015, 04:28 PM
SamD (Sam)

Don't see why we wouldn't see naked-eye colour. As long as most of the nebula was bright enough to be detected by the cone cells in our eyes, we would see some kind of colour.

Shame we don't have more sensitive eyes though - would be awesome if Orion looked something like this:
http://www.crystalinks.com/orion.html
Old 16-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Dboots (Duncan)

Hi Mental,

I have read that the answer is no and I will try to post a reference.

The basic principle is that the diffuse gas will become less and less visible as you get closer. You start to see more empty space.

It is a bit like how we see the individual stars rather the grand structure of our local part of the milk way.

Duncan
Old 16-01-2015, 04:34 PM
BPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboots View Post
I have read that the answer is no and I will try to post a reference.

The basic principle is that the diffuse gas will become less and less visible as you get closer. You start to see more empty space.
This is correct.
Old 16-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

I think there would be a certain distance range where M42 could be seen in colour, but right next to it (or in it) probably not. Kind of like the air around us doesn't look blue.

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 16-01-2015, 04:44 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Duncan is correct. Nebulae don't get any brighter (and hence more colourful) as you get closer. Up close you receive more photons but the object subtends a greater solid angle. The two effects cancel each other out and the surface brightness remains the same.

Here's a reference: http://www.universetoday.com/99989/i...ships-to-hide/

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 16-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Dboots (Duncan)

Below is a link to an article on Universe Today:

http://www.universetoday.com/99989/i...ships-to-hide/

If also has a clip at the bottom with Phil Plait giving a decent explanation.

Duncan

EDIT: (Damn Rick, you posted while I was typing...)
Old 16-01-2015, 06:39 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboots View Post
You start to see more empty space.

It is a bit like how we see the individual stars rather the grand structure of our local part of the milk way.

Duncan
I was thinking the same thing. Looking at a distant galaxy, one might be forgiven for thinking that the night sky must be incredibly bright to an observer within the Galaxy. Of course, the view is much more likely to be similar to what we see from here.
Old 16-01-2015, 07:29 PM
PeterEde (Peter)
Prince Planet

If a 30 sec exposure brings out colour then why wouldn't our eye if we was close enough for it to fill a window? We don't see colour due to our eyes construction but if close we would not need long exposure to see it
Old 16-01-2015, 07:34 PM
N1 (Mirko)

You could simulate that by looking at a rainbow with your dob and a wide angle EP. Chances are you will see less colour than unmagnified.
Old 16-01-2015, 07:54 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

I doubt you'd see much colour at all; certainly not NB type. Receptors in our eye's dont detect the wavelengths. It would probably look pretty much like what you see visually through a scope, only brighter but that would only be the case up to a distance where the rarification of the gases / dust became a factor.
Old 16-01-2015, 09:01 PM
ralph1
cloud magnet

I observed a rainbow in binoculars once hoping to see more colour. Needless to say, I was very disappointed On a similar note, a telescope, even with very high transmission optics can only ever decrease the surface brightness of an object. You see faint objects better because they appear larger and activate more receptors in your eye. Ralph
Old 16-01-2015, 09:08 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

I was actually reading an answer to this in an old Astronomy mag this morning. What Rick says was the response - basically no.

They did comment however that if there was an increase in local dust there might be a dimming of distant stars or very faint glow from some parts of the sky.

Up on Maleny during XMAS hols there was a day we drove up into clouds (really more like fog). From outside the clouds seem very thick, but once inside you can dimly perceive the moisture moving past and distant views disappear. And that would be an incredibly greater density of matter I expect versus a neb.

I wish the damned moisture over the top of me right now would disappear dammit....

Last edited by RobF; 16-01-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 16-01-2015, 09:24 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Thanks for the many replies, folks! There's quite a difference between immediate intuition and then with a bit of logic and thought.

Blasted Star Trek! Now I need to work out how to cancel my order for a warp 7 personal space craft...
Old 16-01-2015, 09:41 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Rob, you mentioned fog. I've always been fascinated by the way fog changes in appearance depending on:

1, when you are outside of it and the relative direction of the fog and incident light with you. It can either look like a fluffy white cloud or smog.
2, when you are inside the fog, the many variations in density and particle size. Can be very eerie. Sometimes you get soaked in moments. Other times barely wet. And the appearance can be something from the sweetest dreams or unearthly. Magic stuff.
Old 16-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Blasted Star Trek! Now I need to work out how to cancel my order for a warp 7 personal space craft...
But..., maybe the Mutara nebula is different, what's its catalogue number anyway? I guess something like that is only required for hiding from serious, genetically engineered villains. If you're trying to hide from your wife, I've got a fog machine I can lend you

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 16-01-2015, 10:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The density of objects we pbotograph are such that up close you won't see much but given we will never get there imagine it with all the colour.I
Old 17-01-2015, 12:57 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
The density of objects we pbotograph are such that up close you won't see much but given we will never get there imagine it with all the colour.I
Oh, I can attest to that. Every holiday destination I had picked from postcards turned out disappointing.

Cheers
Steffen.

Last edited by Steffen; 17-01-2015 at 12:58 AM. Reason: gremmer
Old 17-01-2015, 01:15 AM
ralph1
cloud magnet

Would it in theory be possible to replace the lens of the human eye with a larger, artificial lens, say 20mm and use that to see fainter objects and possibly colours? Even better, remove the lens entirely and have the telescope focus light directly onto your retina.
Old 17-01-2015, 01:34 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Humans see one three thousandth of the electromagnetic spectrum so we miss a little