Old 22-11-2011, 08:08 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Monopods

Hey guys

Can anyone recommend a good monopod?

Good value, not the cheapest or most expensive. Should I bother with another head or use my existing ball mounts?

Ebay or ??
Old 22-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

$80-$90 Manfrotto ought to do the trick.

Check DDP.

H
Old 22-11-2011, 01:40 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I've had 2 monopods. First was a Manfrotto with a pistol grip type extension mechanism. Thought it would be handy and quick to extend one-handed. Didn't work the way I envisaged, and sold it. Next I bought a Benro carbon fibre one, much cheaper. Uses a twist lock type system similar to the high-end Gitzos. Very nice, light, reliable. I have a Manfrotto RC2 Swivel Tilt head on it. Don't need a ballhead on a monopod, because you have degrees of freedom that a tripod doesn't have. For my usage, I didn't see the necessity in high-end monopods. It's just to steady the camera and I'm always going to be holding the camera, not like a tripod where you need the confidence in it to support all the weight and stability. Monopods just assist your stability. My take, anyway.
Old 22-11-2011, 01:48 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
I've had 2 monopods. First was a Manfrotto with a pistol grip type extension mechanism. Thought it would be handy and quick to extend one-handed. Didn't work the way I envisaged, and sold it. Next I bought a Benro carbon fibre one, much cheaper. Uses a twist lock type system similar to the high-end Gitzos. Very nice, light, reliable. I have a Manfrotto RC2 Swivel Tilt head on it. Don't need a ballhead on a monopod, because you have degrees of freedom that a tripod doesn't have. For my usage, I didn't see the necessity in high-end monopods. It's just to steady the camera and I'm always going to be holding the camera, not like a tripod where you need the confidence in it to support all the weight and stability. Monopods just assist your stability. My take, anyway.
Something like this, Troy?

ebay

$160 is more expensive than I was expecting!
Old 22-11-2011, 01:50 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Although there are cheaper models, appears to not go as high or carry as much weight.
ebay 2
Old 22-11-2011, 01:53 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

This looks more affordable, with the head included:
Manfrotto
Old 22-11-2011, 03:25 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

what do you want to use it for? i have a pistol grip on mine (i had a manfrotto 682 before but now its a ?0- much easier to handle than a ball head but the pistol grip is almost 100 second hand

the 680 should be fine, what r u putting on it?
Old 22-11-2011, 03:30 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

I use a Leki Trekking Pole, Mike. The height is adjustable, its very light, I use it as a walking stick, and just unscrew the knob to reveal a 1/4"-20 screw and locking thumb nut for the camera mount (or to mount a ball mount). Gear that performs multiple functions is a good thing when you're walking.

I can't remember what it cost, but its probably in the $80 to $150 range.

Al.
Old 22-11-2011, 03:33 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
This looks more affordable, with the head included:
Manfrotto
Well, that looks OK. I wouldn't bother with my trekking pole suggestion unless you want suspension and a carbide traction spike...

Al.
Old 22-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Mike

I’ve been through a couple of monopods, mainly as part of my experimental / learning curve phase for macro photography.

I found the Manfrotto Neotec 658B with a PhotClam ball head very useful in supporting my macro rig and working shrubbery from hip to shoulder high. For walk about macro shooting at constantly changing heights, I found it a little difficult to set it to the right height quickly, despite the quick release trigger.

For walk about ad-hoc height macro shooting, I use a Giottos carbon fibre twist lock monopod but I use it like a stick; that is, I grip the shaft of the monopod along with my rig, slide my hand up and down the shaft, and then apply a firm grip when I am at the right height. Advantages are that the CF monopod collapses to a small, lightweight package for transportation and carrying. It allows me to operate at different heights reasonably rapidly, without having to make any adjustments, other than relaxing or tightening my grip. As my macro ring has an ADM guide scope ring, I can easily squeeze the ring against the monopod shaft tor rapid use.

For telephoto use, I prefer to carry a carbon fibre tripod so I can support the camera/lens without the need to be constantly holding/supporting the camera. I rarely use a monopod for my bird in flight shots.

The Giottos carbon fibre, twist lock monopods and tripods are excellent value for money and function very well. However, when I got a Gitzo CF tripod, I was amazed at how it became “invisible” when I used it. That is, the set up, performance and operation were so slick and smooth that operating it just flowed with my actions, without slowing me down or being fiddly.

In my experience, a monopod does not really offer a stable shooting platform like a tripod, nor does it relieve you of the weight of the camera/lens. However, it does support the weight, thus reducing fatigue; it limits the range of unwanted movement so you should be able to get better shots and it also allows you to stay on the action rather than having to lift the camera to your eye to then locate the action.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 22-11-2011, 05:41 PM
acropolite (Phil)

+1 for the Benro carbon fibre, light as a feather, Mine is Model MC68, twist lock legs.

When I need it, I use my standard ball head but usually I manage without it..

I've read one report that said the twist lock can slip, but I've never experienced that, the current models on the Benro site all have flip lock now.

Not sure if my model is still current but one HK eBay dealer has them at $99 free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Benro-MC68-M...item2eb8a456f8

Last edited by acropolite; 22-11-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 22-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

I have a Manfrotto 479B that I bought almost 15 years ago, it's still going strong. No carbon fibre of course, but still only 675g.

If you get one with lever leg locks make sure their tension is adjustable, otherwise you can't do anything about it when they start slipping after a couple of years. Twist locks don't have that problem, of course.

As for the head – like Troy said, it's not terribly important. The most critical aspect is the quick-release system (if you're using one), you want it to be compatible with the quick-release plates you have on your cameras and lenses. I'm ogling this one at the moment, I just have to summon the callousness to spend that sort of money

Cheers
Steffen
Old 22-11-2011, 08:25 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

The neotec one Dennis mentioned above is the one I didn't like and sold. Sorry, Dennis.

The one Phil mentioned is similar to the one I have and like now, the MC66 or something like that. Light as feather and compact. Here http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=72665832800
Old 23-11-2011, 12:16 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Mike,

I wouldn't be too concerned about how much weight it can carry - what does your heaviest lens and camera combo weigh?

Also, consider how tall you are. I have a Manfrotto monopod that is just a wisker too short, meaning I have to stoop slightly to use it.

I agree with Dennis - it supports the weight and reduces fatigue. I think the biggest role is for big telephotos shooting sports from the sidelines - as soon as you have to tilt off the horizontal, their usefulness diminishes.

As for Benro gear - I have one of their carbon fibre tripods and am very happy. Do your research - there is a "code" to the model numbers of their tripods, and I presume there would be one for their monopods as well. I think it covers height, thickness of tubing and number of segments.

Just my 2 cents worth.

DT
Old 23-11-2011, 04:26 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks all, for all the feedback and advice - much appreciated.

Definitely got me thinking - I'll probably end up going for the manfrotto combo but will have a look around at a few more of the links posted.

I mainly want to use it when constantly on the move, when long exposures aren't needed, when pulling out tripod legs is a pain etc.

The weight isn't an issue because I'll be using a 40D (or 5DM2) with 24-105mm lens. I'm 180cm tall so will make sure they extend to around 170cm I guess.
Old 23-11-2011, 07:04 PM
AstroFlyer (Arek)
Be gentle, I'm new..

I would not recommend Manfrotto 680B.
I have one, after about 3 years of very light use 2 clamps failed. The plastic just split, so you can't lock the leg anymore. Manfrotto distributor was not interested in my problem, no parts available, need to buy new monopod.
Old 23-11-2011, 09:58 PM
33South (Chris)

Mike

I have a Giotto MV815 gathering dust probably the best of el cheapos about $50 on ebay. I think its better than $50 makes it sound.

http://www.giottos.com/MV.htm

If you are interested Ill do you a good price.

However you will have to wait for a week as Ill be away in Melbourne and Snake Valley from tomorrow

Chris
Old 24-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
The neotec one Dennis mentioned above is the one I didn't like and sold. Sorry, Dennis.
>snip
Hi Troy

Regarding the Neotec, at first glance it does appear to be the perfect monopod in how it can be height adjusted with only one hand, using the quick release handgrip. In practice, I have found it quite functional if I limit the range of height adjustment from hip height to shoulder height with the main feature for me being minimising the uncommanded wobbles through supporting the weight of my macro rig.

It is still a little clumsy to adjust and is not really a rapid response unit in terms of how macro shooting can sometimes demand swift height and position adjustments. I find it more suited to slow moving critters with a more predictable flight path!

However, a man can never have too many monopods, although this one is used mainly on a line of shrubbery in our back garden, as it cannot shoot low down due to it longish collapsed length.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 24-11-2011, 08:29 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re mono pods

Hi Mike

I have a Manfrotto 681B,Its a very good monopod.I bought it for my birding/wildlife. To be used with 50D 400L however I only used it twice
I found my hand holding skills did the job.'

Anyhow it cost me $100 only used twice,someone said they wanted to buy it but never put cash into account.

If you want it its yours for $75 and will throw in postage,Just want to get rid of it,its in the observatory gathering dust (like all the other crap in there)

BTW weight limit for this one is 12 KG-so it will be perfect for your new 5d2 and large L lenses.(in my best Arthur Daily voice

I am 185 cm tall,and no issues with height with this monopod,Mike,its a a good tall one ,never used it all pulled out.

Last edited by hotspur; 24-11-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: The Arthur daily in me,wanted to add a bit
Old 24-11-2011, 08:56 AM
niko

For what it's worth my daughter gave me a tripod for my birthday that included a monopod with pistol grip. Can't remember the brand but I suspect it cost between $50 and $75. Any of the camera shops will stock and you'll get both a tripod and a monopod