Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2020, 09:55 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Update: Cameras arrived in Melbourne on Sunday (and looks like maybe the second one on Tuesday).

Sitting in Melbourne Customs.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:29 AM
Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
Update: Cameras arrived in Melbourne on Sunday (and looks like maybe the second one on Tuesday).

Sitting in Melbourne Customs.
Let me know how you go with GST (ie do customs hit you up or does it skate through)?
Old 06-08-2020, 09:53 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Well, here we go. Looks like they cleared customs Melbourne (so Craig, looks like no GST) and now they're in Sydney. I mean, WTF?!!
Old 06-08-2020, 03:28 PM
mbaddah (Mo)

I ordered a asi462mc direct from zwo last weekend. It just derived at my door today that's even quicker then local!
Old 06-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaddah View Post
I ordered a asi462mc direct from zwo last weekend. It just derived at my door today that's even quicker then local!

Stop it. You're making me sad

EDIT: My estimated delivery is 11th. If that's the case, that's 13 days. Let's hope it arrives soon.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Spidy (Phil)

They're here, they're here

Last edited by Spidy; 07-08-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:43 PM
billdan (Bill)

Don't brag about it (GST), the ATO could be lurking and monitoring this site.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:30 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
Don't brag about it (GST), the ATO could be lurking and monitoring this site.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:42 PM
Spidy (Phil)

I don't know what you're all talking about....
Old 07-08-2020, 04:46 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Ah, good ole internet way back machine, incriminating people for 30 years
Old 08-08-2020, 06:03 PM
Hayden

So long a wait.

Ordered a ZWO ASI385MC on 23/06/2020 from Australian dealer and I am still waiting. I can see now I should have ordered direct like some of you guys and got it way cheaper as well. It is so frustrating!
Never again if this is how long it takes using local while direct rockets through......
Old 08-08-2020, 06:45 PM
Hayden

I wish I had read this thread before I ordered locally SIGH!
Old 13-08-2020, 03:45 PM
Craig_

I ordered something backordered last week, shipped on the 11th, already in Sydney and cleared customs today. Very quick.
Old 13-08-2020, 04:49 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I suspect many retailers simply don't have the financial backing now to place substantial orders with manufacturers - this may also explain the horrific mark-up some are placing on product.

Yet more items I ordered direct from China arrived this week in under 10 days. Aus Post is sending me messages whenever they have it in their system now too (one due to arrive tomorrow)
Old 13-08-2020, 05:33 PM
Hayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I suspect many retailers simply don't have the financial backing now to place substantial orders with manufacturers - this may also explain the horrific mark-up some are placing on product.

Yet more items I ordered direct from China arrived this week in under 10 days. Aus Post is sending me messages whenever they have it in their system now too (one due to arrive tomorrow)
Thanks for the replies LewisM and Craig. I have had replies from OpticsCentral and they seem to be genuine in their frustration with the delays over the current problems. What I find annoying is that items are arriving direct to individuals in very fast times. I placed an order and paid via Paypal on 23/06/2020 and I am still waiting.
Old 13-08-2020, 07:15 PM
Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
Thanks for the replies LewisM and Craig. I have had replies from OpticsCentral and they seem to be genuine in their frustration with the delays over the current problems. What I find annoying is that items are arriving direct to individuals in very fast times. I placed an order and paid via Paypal on 23/06/2020 and I am still waiting.
What did you order? Mine was just a filter drawer, some spare drawers, and a IR/UV cut filter. Not a camera body (yet)
Old 13-08-2020, 07:42 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_ View Post
What did you order? Mine was just a filter drawer, some spare drawers, and a IR/UV cut filter. Not a camera body (yet)

Craig, damn, I was just about to order the ZWO Filter drawer and decided against it since it was on backorder and didn't qualify for the free shipping.

Was your order over 199US or did you need to pay the $20 shipping charge? I'm wondering if that makes a difference?

Instead of around #130AUD, I just spent $168AUD from local retailer who had stock. Coming from Sydney. Let's see how long this takes. I may have made a mistake
Old 13-08-2020, 07:48 PM
Craig_

Quote:
Craig, damn, I was just about to order the ZWO Filter drawer and decided against it since it was on backorder and didn't qualify for the free shipping.

Was your order over 199US or did you need to pay the $20 shipping charge? I'm wondering if that makes a difference?

Instead of around #130AUD, I just spent $168AUD from local retailer who had stock. Coming from Sydney. Let's see how long this takes. I may have made a mistake
It was listed on backorder when I placed the order, but in the end it was only a few days wait (including a weekend) before it shipped. My order was a touch over $199US, as I got the drawer, some spare sliders for it, the filter and a replacement cable for my guide camera after I accidentally scorched the one that came with it (cable end accidentally touched a terminal on my battery when packing up, sparks ensued... thankfully it was no longer connected to anything )
Old 13-08-2020, 08:08 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_ View Post
It was listed on backorder when I placed the order, but in the end it was only a few days wait (including a weekend) before it shipped. My order was a touch over $199US, as I got the drawer, some spare sliders for it, the filter and a replacement cable for my guide camera after I accidentally scorched the one that came with it (cable end accidentally touched a terminal on my battery when packing up, sparks ensued... thankfully it was no longer connected to anything )

Oh man. That would have been @#*($)&$)&$. Lucky escape.

Out of curiousity, do you know if the Otolong 2" L-Pro filter will fit on the ZWO filter drawer, or would I need to "decloak" it?
Old 13-08-2020, 08:45 PM
Craig_

Quote:
Oh man. That would have been @#*($)&$)&$. Lucky escape.

Out of curiousity, do you know if the Otolong 2" L-Pro filter will fit on the ZWO filter drawer, or would I need to "decloak" it?
I don't own the L-Pro, but have the L-Enhance. Apparently that is 7mm with thread or 5mm without thread, so it should fit OK I would think. It isn't something I actually checked so... I hope

On the mechanical diagram for the drawer it looks like it has 8mm of clearance, and ZWO's own filters are 5mm high without thread so I assume it will fit. That said, the size of the Optolong I obtained from a review, I haven't seen it listed on an official spec sheet...