Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 28-03-2023, 10:43 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Hi Joe,

That’s an interesting find. We have our annual Fonthill Dark Sky Star party this weekend down here in the far south. I’ll have a close look and let you know how I go.

Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpickCrom View Post
Hi guys, just came across this thread!

I would like to add a triple double of my own, one I first saw last year and I visit it regularly now! They are the stars HD 73903, HD 73919 and Russell 86 in Vela. They are located near the double star b Velorum. This was the first triple double I stumbled upon in the sky, so I'm pretty fond of them! Check them out!

Clear Skies
Joe
Old 17-04-2023, 07:15 AM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpickCrom View Post
Hi guys, just came across this thread!

I would like to add a triple double of my own, one I first saw last year and I visit it regularly now! They are the stars HD 73903, HD 73919 and Russell 86 in Vela. They are located near the double star b Velorum. This was the first triple double I stumbled upon in the sky, so I'm pretty fond of them! Check them out!

Clear Skies
Joe
Joe, I read your post a few weeks back and have been keen to check out your observations. Last night we finally had some decent weather - not perfect but reasonably clear.
Got the CFF 132mm out - a great choice for difficult doubles.

I was using Uranometria to identify your grouping, checking out all the sky in a declination square just west of b Velorum. So I was searching from -46 to -47 and 8h 32 to 8h 40.
I spent about 40 minutes examining this area, and later looked up the stars in Stelle Doppie.
I am now convinced that you are referring to the open or galactic cluster NGC 2645 NNW of b Velorum. This shows up as an attractive asterism in magnifications from 60x to 200x. Stelle Doppie lists both HD 73919 and Russell 86 as part of this asterism. Both stars are Mag 9/10 with reasonably wide separations. In the same field are some other stars with wider fainter companions.
To the WSW of b Velorum are a couple of stars plotted as doubles in Uranometria. I could not split these (unless the companions are wide faint star which I did see) and they are not in the same field as NGC 2645.
As for HD 73903 I could find no reference. What source did you use to identify the stars?
All up a rewarding exercise, and I thank you for posting your observations.
John
Old 17-04-2023, 07:42 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
Joe, I read your post a few weeks back and have been keen to check out your observations. Last night we finally had some decent weather - not perfect but reasonably clear.
Got the CFF 132mm out - a great choice for difficult doubles.

I was using Uranometria to identify your grouping, checking out all the sky in a declination square just west of b Velorum. So I was searching from -46 to -47 and 8h 32 to 8h 40.
I spent about 40 minutes examining this area, and later looked up the stars in Stelle Doppie.
I am now convinced that you are referring to the open or galactic cluster NGC 2645 NNW of b Velorum. This shows up as an attractive asterism in magnifications from 60x to 200x. Stelle Doppie lists both HD 73919 and Russell 86 as part of this asterism. Both stars are Mag 9/10 with reasonably wide separations. In the same field are some other stars with wider fainter companions.
To the WSW of b Velorum are a couple of stars plotted as doubles in Uranometria. I could not split these (unless the companions are wide faint star which I did see) and they are not in the same field as NGC 2645.
As for HD 73903 I could find no reference. What source did you use to identify the stars?
All up a rewarding exercise, and I thank you for posting your observations.
John
Hi John.

I am using Sky Safari Plus 6 app on my mobile.I use it for all my observing and was the source I used to identify HD 73903.I have attached a screenshot of the three doubles I mentioned in Vela.

I searched up NGC 2645 that you mentioned, and you are right, they are part of this cluster/asterism! Because NGC 2645 is listed as unknown magnitude on SS Plus it doesn't show up on the maps, that's why I hadn't heard of NGC 2645 before.

Very interesting, thanks for that John

Happy Observing
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2023-04-17-06-29-02-85.png)
79.2 KB61 views