Old 16-07-2017, 04:10 PM
gregbradley

Malin Awards results?

Does anyone know the Malin Award results?

Greg.
Old 16-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Just got back from Parkes.

Congratulations to Phil Hart who was the overall winner and winner of the deep sky section with his fantastic image of the Witch's Head Nebula.

I won't try and post the rest of the section winners right now as I'm rather tired from the drive (and might get them wrong or forget some) & better to wait for the offcial announcements so all winners can be properly acknowledged.

Last edited by Retrograde; 16-07-2017 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 16-07-2017, 06:46 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Looks like a familiar crowd from the image Christopher Go posted on FB. Peter Ward, Martin Pugh, Phil Hart, Alex Cherney.
Old 17-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

It was great to get away to Parkes again this year for the CWAS Astrofest....my apologies to for not being too chatty at the awards night this year (post surgery has made my voice very weak and croaky)...but congrats to Phil Hart for picking up the "big one" this year. I spent some time talking with David who is finding the standard of entries to be higher each year, thus making his choices evermore difficult, but his eye is as keen as ever.

The quality of the exhibition prints also seemed to go up a notch this year. The framed winning entries looked absolutely fantastic, and it was humbling to still be included in the mix of some very talented photographers.

This year's result is something of a personal milestone for me, as took my tally to 40 "Malins" of one sort or another since the competition started some 14 years ago. Wow, what a change there has been in the standard of entries in that time! The young guns of Astrophotography in Australia are red hot, and I am sure will produce even more superb images in years to come. Might be time for me to retire while the going is still good !
Old 17-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Paul Haese

OVERALL WINNER = Phil Hartfor Witch’s Head Nebulain Deep Sky

Photo Editor’s Choice = Luke Tscharke for Superman Skiesin Nightscapes

Solar

Winner: Solar Storm – Peter Ward

HM: Variable Star – Peter Ward
HM: The Mists of Mars – Stefan Buda
HM: Lunar Detail – Stefan Buda
HM: Solar Active Region AR2488 in Halpha– Paul Sartory
HM: Wide Open, Saturn nearing opposition – Paul Haese

HC: Super Saturated Perigee Moon – Eddie Trimarchi

Eclipse Sequence judged together:
HC: Sky Fire – Rod Hill
HC: Sulawesi Total Solar Eclipse – Rod Hill
HC: Third Contact during Total Solar Eclipse – Rod Hill

Photo Editor’s Pick: Colours of the Moon by Martin Pugh

Theme

Winner: Red Airglow over Calverts – James Garlick

HM: Night Glow – Ben Swanson
HM: Red and Green – Alex Cherney
HM: Airglow of Mount Magnet – Graham Kelaher

HC: Orange Airglow at Mundubbera – Stephen Mudge
HC: 360 Airglow – Phil Hart

Photo Editor’s Pick: Night Glow by Ben Swanson

Junior

Winner: Emu in the Sky – Baillie Farley

HM: Starship – Baillie Farley

HC: Cradle Mountain Startrail – Scott Carnie-Bronca
HC: Time Flies by, Stars fly by – Eric Ward

Photo Editor’s Pick: Emu In The Sky by Baillie Farley

Wide-Field

Winner: Milky Way Rift – Troy Casswell

HM: Rho Ophiuchi outshines Comet Clark – Peter Patonai
HM: Kitty Loves Seafood – Peter Patonai

HC: Milky Way Delight – Edward Dobosz
HC: Mars and Saturn’s glorious encounter with Scorpius and Rho Ophiuchi Nebula – Noelene Lowndes

Photo Editor’s Pick: Time To Shine by Luke Tscharke

Nightscapes

Winner: Surfers Paradise and Perigee Moon – Eddie Trimarchi

HM: Mundubbera Milky Way and Airglow – Stephen Mudge
HM: Arctic Moonrise – Judith Conning
HM: Abandoned House – Anne Algar

HC: Full Moon over Brisbane – Stephen Mudge
HC: Sky Alight – Judith Conning
HC: Bioluminescent Bluff – James Garlick
HC: Moonlight – Anne Algar

Photo Editor’s Pick: Superman Skies by Luke Tscharke

Deep Sky

Winner: Witch’s Head Nebula – Phil Hart

HM: NGC 6188 - Two Panel Mosaic – Martin Pugh
HM: Omega Centauri – Steve Crouch
HM: Metallic Rose – Tim Carruthers

HC: This Rosette Nebula – Steven Mohr
HC: The Pillars – Paul Haese
HC: Trifid – Lee Borsboom
HC: My Dear Lagoon - Diego Colonnello

Photo Editor’s Pick: Sagittarius Sunflowers by Andrew Campbell

Animations Scientific

Winner: Meteor Train – Phil Hart

HM: Persistent Meteor Trains – Alex Cherney

Animations Aesthetic

Winner: Axial – Paul Haese

HM: Aurora Australis over Betsey Island, Tasmania – Ian Stewart

HC: The Dance of the Aurora Australis – Jo Malcomson
Old 17-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Paul Haese

I was quite surprised to see that I had won the aesthetic animations sequence. In fact I was a little stunned. It was a good year for me again. I was expecting a couple of honourable mentions as I knew the competition would be tough this year and I did not think I had anything really great.

A big congratulations to Phil for winning the Overall again. And; congratulations to all the other winners.

I saw David Malin last weekend when the Astronomical Society of South Australia inducted David into the Hall of Fame during our annual dinner which also celebrated our 125th year of existence. I was given the honour of presenting David's history with our society. During that presentation I mentioned that the Malins had not only influenced our society but the whole of astrophotography in Australia. David was most pleased to hear this being acknowledged. At the end of the evening I had a chance to have a few words with him about the Malins and how the standard is just getting better and better. He said the same thing that the competition standard is climbing each year and he is having difficulty deciding on who the winners ought to be now. Images are now very professionally presented in his opinion.

I made my apologies for not being able to attend and he agreed that the tyranny of distance was a significant factor for some not attending. Myself included. I'll try to make it next year, it would have been nice to catch up with a few of the guys, but those are the breaks.

Once again congratulations to all the winners.
Old 18-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

It was another great weekend out at Parkes with excellent guest speakers presenting at the CWAS Astrofest.

The official results page is up and IIS members are well represented as usual. Congratulations to all the winners:
http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/news...rofest/awards/

Good to see that the page includes links to some of the excellent "Highly Commended" images as well.

On a personal level I am absolutely thrilled to have received two Honourable Mentions for my images the wide-field section. These images were a significant step up for me over my previous efforts and I never would have been in the running if it wasn't for this forum and all its contributors who have provided inspiration, encouragement and a wealth of freely shared knowledge. I still have so much to learn about this hobby.

Last edited by Retrograde; 18-07-2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 18-07-2017, 10:13 PM
Phil Hart

hmm.. sorry everyone

I had another great weekend in Parkes.. travel eight hours into the wilds of Central West NSW and get to bump into Christopher Go and Yuri Beletsky, each masters of their craft. And hear from Brad Tucker about all the things we don't know about Dark Energy. Where else do you get a line-up like this? Put Parkes in your calendar for next year, if you have even the faintest interest in astrophotography of any kind. You should hear who John Sarkissian is trying to get as a guest speaker

Needless to say I'm stoked. I have been a bit distracted of late.. the spare time I can conjure together is dedicated to U.S. eclipse preparations but as usual I'm making that logistically challenging and trying to do a little too much. Great to be able to fit Parkes and Malin Awards into the lead-up to that.. and catch-up with new and old friends from around the country (and apologies to others that I hardly said hello to.. rushing out to The Dish after awards dinner not all that sociable really ). gonna be a big few weeks of astronomy for me now..

cheers
Phil
Old 20-07-2017, 11:08 AM
andyc (Andy)

Congratulations Phil and the other successful photographers. Was great to put a few faces to names, meet some of you and get a little more inspiration to continue to improve! The talks were excellent, the Dish is always cool to visit, and I got a lot from Chris Go's workshop, making for a good weekend all round

Now to plot a mini assault on the Malins next year, but probably not Deep Space, a ways to go there
Old 20-07-2017, 11:21 AM
JA

Well done to all award winners/2nds/mentions ....- both members here and others far and wide.

Best
JA
Old 20-07-2017, 01:51 PM
topheart

Congrats +++ to everyone, especially Phil H.
It was a great weekend with great talks and interesting company from fellow astro-imagers.
Highly recommended!
Thanks to all.
Cheers,
Tim