You can't make lemonade out of the tree, can you? Hehehe
?????

Alex
Old 19-08-2017, 12:59 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrophe View Post
The idea that the heavenly bodies can influence us in our everyday lives, is not so far fetched. For instance, the term, lunatic, was coined, initially, to describe the influence a full moon has on certain individuals. Just ask a cop or doctor or nurse what they think about full moons.
So if a body like the moon can influence our actions/emotions, then surely it is just possible that other, more distant, bodies could exert an influence, also.
The whole moon story is an urban myth. This article is a nice summary of the details.

And if you still believe the policemen and hospital nurses and not the research, how about this one:
"... the full moon myth isn't the only superstition pervading hospitals — he found that 78 percent of the nurses in his study believed that people with red hair were more prone to bleeding."

And regarding astrology... perhaps you should start with the moon article. And don't believe everything you read on the internet. Humans will say anything to support their interests... and there is lots of money in astrology and other superstitions.

By the way, sorry for ruining your best sex. As they say, it is all in the head
Old 19-08-2017, 06:01 AM
Astrophe (John)

This thread appears to have digressed from its original topic. If members are interested in these matters, then might I suggest that they start new threads on the topics in question. I don't doubt that I'm more than partly responsible for this thread going awry, but it's really time we called a halt to this. Cheers.
Old 19-08-2017, 08:12 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
The whole moon story is an urban myth. This article is a nice summary of the details.

And if you still believe the policemen and hospital nurses and not the research, how about this one:
"... the full moon myth isn't the only superstition pervading hospitals — he found that 78 percent of the nurses in his study believed that people with red hair were more prone to bleeding."

And regarding astrology... perhaps you should start with the moon article. And don't believe everything you read on the internet. Humans will say anything to support their interests... and there is lots of money in astrology and other superstitions.

By the way, sorry for ruining your best sex. As they say, it is all in the head
This is one of those times I wish we had a like button yet again because I certainly like your post.

It is surprising where you find folk believe an urban myth.

The reality of the Moon urban myth has been around for years and yet so many folk still have their head in the past days of lunacy.

And sayings...and quotes. So often wrong yet folk wheel them out mistaking their cuteness for fact.

I particulary like " what does not kill you will make you stronger"....Usually if something near kills you the result is a body much weakened by the experience and you are never as strong as you were prior to the near killing you event.

A friend in an effort to comfortt me after my back operation said " Oh well what does not kill you makes you stronger"...I didn't say anything but a casual observation would have told him after all my back problems I was considetably weaker than before.
Another...
There are no two snow flakes the same...who has looked at all the snowflakes that ever existed to be able to say no two are alike...and I have only heard that from folk who have never seen snow in their life.

But John is probably correct that the thread has left the track and maybe a thread on urban myth and superstition could be interesting.

Alex
Old 22-08-2017, 09:34 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Excellent article. If you had to take one key quote from it, this would be my pick.
"superstitions run rampant when you feel a loss of control"
It completely explains astrology. Early humans could not possibly have understood what they were looking at. It's natural that they saw some co-incidences associated with astronomical events, and assigned some kind of misplaced meaning to them.
Old 23-08-2017, 07:21 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Reported (post 67 only )