Old 17-04-2018, 09:21 AM
baileys2611 (Simon Bailey)
I like biscuits

Next world record breaking attempt

ABC are trying their hand at breaking a world record for most participants in a 'star party' again. This time with a twist - I hear they are trying to organise participants not only at ANU, but also counting those participating at other venues using their own equipment.

I'm trying to figure out how to register as an 'attendee' but using my own equipment at my own location. Not sure how to do that yet...

Here's the link: http://www.abc.net.au/radio/brisbane/stargazing-live-world-record-attempt/9662922
Old 18-04-2018, 04:51 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

Hi Simon if you go to the Australian national university website you should be able to follow links to this event and how to register ,we are having a event night in speers point lake Macquarie,should be a great night
Alan Meehan Newcastle Astronomical Society
Old 19-04-2018, 07:26 AM
Wavytone

Why a Wednesday night with 63% moon ? Seems less than optimal choice imho - a Saturday night would have been far better.
Old 19-04-2018, 01:12 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

Wavytone the moon being up is ok its to break the record for the most people watching the moon through a telescope ,the ANU is making telescopes just for this event and can be pre purchased for the night at $7.00
each good value for the kids
Old 19-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Wavytone

Does a cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper qualify as a "telescope" ? I know a bunch of eager 3 year olds that would do that much !

Darn... looking at the ABC site its for 8pm... that's a bit late for my lot - they'll all be tucked up in bed by then.
6pm more likely.

Last edited by Wavytone; 19-04-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 21-04-2018, 08:21 AM
Malcolm

Why Wednesday night? It coincides with the 8pm ABC live broadcast with Prof. Brian Cox and Julia Zamero from Siding Springs Obs.
Old 21-04-2018, 08:58 AM
Kunama

I've registered and will be setting up my binoculars at Fellows oval ANU ......
Old 21-04-2018, 03:56 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

Alan,

Can you give more details re the SP park event, ie: where in the park, is power going to be available, how close can we get cars, etc., etc.

I had a look at the NAS f/book page but there's little to be found........kind of reminds me of my two visits to the brickworks park nights, where I may have well been a frog in the pond.
Old 22-04-2018, 06:23 AM
alan meehan (Alan)

Hi Chris the speers point park event is on the 23rd may west in the grassed area from the swimming pool at speers point park ,yes there is power and we will be setting up from around 4.30 there is plenty of parking and a short walk from the pool, gates will be open to drive in but all vehicles will be off the field after you have set up so far we have approx. 200 people coming to this event .iam sure if you go to the nas face book page click on the event and you can register there as many have ,hope to see you there
alan
Old 24-04-2018, 12:45 AM
Ausrock (Chris)

Hi Alan,

Is the local night being run just to get as many people as possible with stargazing equipment, or are you actually wanting to use the gathering to attract general members of the public to come and enjoy, ie: a kind of outreach night. If so, I hope there is some effective publicity planned.

I ask as this would influence whether (after my past experiences at the brickworks park), I would bother to come and if I so decide, whether I put time at home into getting my gear set up for public viewing prior to the event.

Regards,

Chris
Old 24-04-2018, 10:59 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

Chris its really up to you if you want to go to this event ,this is being put on so members of the public can enjoy watching stargazing live under the stars
and also so our members can enjoy the night as well. iam not sure of your sort of experieces you mean you had at the brickworks park but iam sorry if they where bad ones.publicity has already started for this event and there is more to come,as I said if you read the information about the night you will be more informed just open up stargazing live on the facebook page
Old 25-04-2018, 01:27 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrock View Post
Alan,

Can you give more details re the SP park event, ie: where in the park, is power going to be available, how close can we get cars, etc., etc.

I had a look at the NAS f/book page but there's little to be found........kind of reminds me of my two visits to the brickworks park nights, where I may have well been a frog in the pond.
https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/newc...944?aff=efbneb didnt look hard
Old 25-04-2018, 01:29 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrock View Post
Hi Alan,

Is the local night being run just to get as many people as possible with stargazing equipment, or are you actually wanting to use the gathering to attract general members of the public to come and enjoy, ie: a kind of outreach night. If so, I hope there is some effective publicity planned.

I ask as this would influence whether (after my past experiences at the brickworks park), I would bother to come and if I so decide, whether I put time at home into getting my gear set up for public viewing prior to the event.

Regards,

Chris
up to you chris

i will be there for the first time ages just to support the club. its really an outreach night nationwide
Old 01-05-2018, 10:28 AM
Wavytone

Meh... all the Sydney locations are too far away. Count me out.
Old 16-05-2018, 08:34 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

Alan and David,

I appreciate your responses. Unfortunately, I probably won't be attending as work and family are current priorities.

Re my comments about the "brickworks" and I really have been hesitant to say this but........ I went down (I live about 5 minutes away) twice and regardless of attempting to communicate with some people there, I was virtually ignored. The first time was almost laughable, as when a mother and daughter turned up for what was apparently their first visit, they received admirable attention while I, (apparently still being invisible) watched on. I'll conclude with this, I've spent more that 40 years working successfully in people oriented employment so I say "why would I want to return or recommend anyone else attend".......unless of course they happen to be female.