Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 01-04-2020, 09:20 PM
Hemi

Sky shed pod flooring ideas

I just received my new to me sky shed pod with 4 bays from a very nice chap in Sydney. It’s about 4 years old and in fair condition.

It’s to be installed on my first floor veranda.

The floor is tiled, and has a small drain in the middle. There is very slight incline from all sides, leading to the drain, and an overall incline to 6 drainage holes in the Side wall of the veranda....it’s a strange way of doing it!

I’ve assembled the walls loosely to assess its position and give it a clean with the pressure washer. Of course, water ingresses from the base.

What flooring ideas to seal the floor? I don’t really want to go through the hassle, expense and irreversibility of putting in a deck.

I was thinking of laying it on a thick foam/rubber sheet, then foam tile flooring, and then sealing it? But I’m out of my depth so suggestions very welcome. Any suggestions for a hard flooring inside, as I usually sit on a wheeled stool, and scuttle around?

Cheers

H
Old 01-04-2020, 11:08 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

Two observatories here, differing floors
Wife's
freight pallets on concrete with 12 mm plywood on top,her wheeled ob chair moves easily. Just pack the pallets level on you funny shaped floor & cut to shape.
Mine
20 mm deep interlocking plastic pallet like squares on concrete, cut to shape,topped with interlocking solid eva foam tiles. Dropped things don't shatter and the pallet layer gives ventilation.

All the plasic is expensive,the freight pallets were from local merchants piles of non returnable pallets,free. We had the plywood from a previous project.Marine ply is the go as it should not rot, just paint well.

Chris