Old 05-05-2018, 05:53 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

King Parrot

She started coming (for a feed) a 3 or so months ago. Haven't seen her for 2 weeks, a bit worried.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (kingparrot.jpg)
68.6 KB59 views
Old 05-05-2018, 09:18 PM
zardos123 (Brad)
new telescope....old eyes

nice shot, these guys will often migrate and follow plants flowering,fruit and seed cycles
Old 06-05-2018, 12:25 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Thanks. Pretty sure we've had mum and dad visiting for near 2 years, this is we think, their daughter.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:36 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Yep they come and go,you wait she will be back sometime in the future when they are next in your neighbourhood.
Could be she is also a juvenile as the colours are quite bright.
I have never seen that head marking on a king parrot before,David.
Do you have a full body picture?
Cheers
Old 06-05-2018, 01:11 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Yep they come and go,you wait she will be back sometime in the future when they are next in your neighbourhood.
Could be she is also a juvenile as the colours are quite bright.
I have never seen that head marking on a king parrot before,David.
Do you have a full body picture?
Cheers
I have a full body picture, but it's via the iPhone and very poor quality. It had been raining heavily for several days on the visit where I took this image. She looked very weak and we put out some mixed wild bird seeds with extra sunflower seeds mixed in to give her some energy. She was surprisingly tolerant - she went onto the railing on our rear balcony and waited whilst we got food ready for her.

A few days after this image was taken, we'd gotten a cage and had put water and food in it and she went into the cage, so we, in her bests interests, kept her for a few days. My brother in law moved her into our Galah's cage a few days later, but she was really stressed out, so we decided it was best to let her go again. We didn't really want her as a pet, we were more concerned with making sure she had an adequate supply of food and water whilst she looked weak. Over the next few weeks, she'd still go back inside the cage - we simply left the door pegged up, so she could come and go as she saw fit. It's been around 3 weeks since we last saw her, and we hope she's doing OK. We're pretty sure her parents are the pair that have been coming for 18 months or so. She looked a lot better the last time she came.

We're bird (and animal) lovers (1 galah, 2 princess parrots, 2 rainbow lorikeets) and we love nature.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:32 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
I have a full body picture, but it's via the iPhone and very poor quality. It had been raining heavily for several days on the visit where I took this image. She looked very weak and we put out some mixed wild bird seeds with extra sunflower seeds mixed in to give her some energy. She was surprisingly tolerant - she went onto the railing on our rear balcony and waited whilst we got food ready for her.

A few days after this image was taken, we'd gotten a cage and had put water and food in it and she went into the cage, so we, in her bests interests, kept her for a few days. My brother in law moved her into our Galah's cage a few days later, but she was really stressed out, so we decided it was best to let her go again. We didn't really want her as a pet, we were more concerned with making sure she had an adequate supply of food and water whilst she looked weak. Over the next few weeks, she'd still go back inside the cage - we simply left the door pegged up, so she could come and go as she saw fit. It's been around 3 weeks since we last saw her, and we hope she's doing OK. We're pretty sure her parents are the pair that have been coming for 18 months or so. She looked a lot better the last time she came.

We're bird (and animal) lovers (1 galah, 2 princess parrots, 2 rainbow lorikeets) and we love nature.
Good onya David,thanks for all that info
Here's hoping she is alright.
Cheers
Old 06-05-2018, 04:00 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Good onya David,thanks for all that info
Here's hoping she is alright.
Cheers
Hoping! The (what we suspect are) her parents have come twice in the past 3 days.

My first Rainbow Lorikeet that was wild and rescued at Christmas 2015 (couldn't fly, hiding under a car at 10pm) escaped in Christmas 2016 (more my fault than its). It comes back every few months (at least, I'm sure it's the same one) to let me know it's OK. Last time it hung around for near 20 minutes and came down to a lower branch to listen to me and was "talking" back to me (I was cleaning the cage of Rainbow Lorikeet #2).

note: Rainbow Lorikeet #2 is bloody crazy lol! #1 is a rescue from the RSPCA, and very timid and shy, complete opposite of #3. My nickname for #1 is "buggerbird" lol. I asked him last week if he wanted to go to KFC for Rainbow nuggets, he replies "dunno". I kid you not...cheekiest bloody bird I've ever met.