Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 11-10-2017, 06:55 PM
BBBJU

Help picking eyepieces for Televue 85

Hi,

I am purchasing a Televue 85.

I currently do not own any eyepieces and need to pick out a set to match with the TV85.

Does anyone have any experience and recommendations?

I was considering:

- 31 Nagler
- 13 Ethos
- 7 DeLite (or something yielding 80-100x)
- Either a 2x Barlow or the 6 - 3 Nagler Zoom

The kit will be kept in my truck and used under a mix of city and dark skies. I'm aiming to cover both moon+planetary and wide-field sweeping of the milky way. I already have a pair of binoculars so would probably start with buying the mid-power eyepieces.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Brad
Old 11-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Wilso

Hi,
I use a Fsq 85 and prefer the view in the 22 nagler more than the 31.
Excellent eyepieces in my scope. The 31 nagler is a little on the heavy side though about a kilo, but the best eyepieces are always the ones you use the most!
Enjoy
Old 11-10-2017, 07:23 PM
PhilTas (Phil)

Hi Brad,
I use mainly the following with my TV85
TV 20mm plossl
13T6 Nagler
3-6 Nagler zoom

All three offer very good views, it goes without saying that to benefit from the 3-6, then the seeing has to be pretty good.

If I could only have one scope the TV85 would be my choice.

Cheers Phil
Old 11-10-2017, 07:56 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

For that aperture, focal length, and intended purpose (visual), I'd start with 2 eyepieces; the 13mm ethos because the wide views are just glorious in that size scope without sacrificing magnification and light. Then consider a Baader Hyperion zoom for everything else because of it's quality and versatility, albeit with nowhere near the field of view of the ethos. Maybe don't go below 8mm, especially if you're not using a tracking mount, as things start to get quite dull and move out of the field of view much quicker.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I would be inclined to go with the same size EPs (1.25inch) to prevent problems with rebalancing the scope when U switch to EPs of different weights.

Also, IMO there is no need to go with an extra large EP and really low powers, as it is not necessary with a scope of only 600mm FL.

I suggest:
24mm Panoptic
11 or 13mm Nagler
5 or 7mm Delite.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:19 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

I agree with Bob about generally sticking to one size eyepiece because of the balancing issues, although of course this is not insurmountable!
If I was sticking to 1 1/4", I would go for something like the TV 32mm plossl (the biggest true fov you can get in a 1 1/4" eyepiece), the 13mm Nagler and the 3-6mm Nagler zoom. I have each of the these, and they work really well in my TV 76.

It is pretty rare that the 3-6mm doesn't give great high power views: the smaller aperture scopes tend to be better in poor seeing than bigger ones.

Have you had a play with the eyepiece calculator on the Televue site? http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_p...CULATE#results

All the best, and happy playing with the new scope!

- Dean
Old 12-10-2017, 01:49 PM
BBBJU

Thanks all for the top advice!

I had totally missed the balance issue if I mix eyepiece sizes. I'll probably go the 2" set as I do plan to get a larger 'scope in a few years time to pair with the Televue 85.

The 13mm/45.8x size eyepiece looks the most popular across the recommendations, I'll make sure it is in the first batch of eyepieces ordered.

Cheers,
Brad
Old 12-10-2017, 05:32 PM
astro744

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBJU View Post
Thanks all for the top advice!

I had totally missed the balance issue if I mix eyepiece sizes. I'll probably go the 2" set as I do plan to get a larger 'scope in a few years time to pair with the Televue 85.

The 13mm/45.8x size eyepiece looks the most popular across the recommendations, I'll make sure it is in the first batch of eyepieces ordered.

Cheers,
Brad
The Equalizer will help with balance. See http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_p...=23&Tab=_equil

See also http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_p...=Advice&id=220 for eyepiece selection for the Tele Vue 85.

I'd go with the 31mm Nagler for a 4 degree field. There's lots to choose from from the Tele Vue range and none will disappoint. Give Tele Vue a call one early morning and have a chat. You may even get Al Nagler on the line or talk to the guys at Bintel as they know their stuff.

I'd also recommend the 6-3mm Nagler Zoom. (Used to be called 3-6mm then I noticed Tele Vue started calling it 6-3mm). This is a very versatile eyepiece and will be an ideal match with the TV-85 giving 100x to 200x magnification and exit pupils from 0.86 to 0.43mm. It is an ideal range of powers for planets with this telescope. If you need extra eye relief for glasses then go with Delites or Delos otherwise the Zoom Nagler is fantastic because it offeres variable magnification.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Last edited by astro744; 13-10-2017 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added para.
Old 13-10-2017, 04:23 PM
BBBJU

Televue have thought of everything. That Equalizer will be great for the zoom, and I'll keep the other eyepieces at the 2" size. Brilliant, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 16-10-2017, 01:12 AM
Allan

The suggestion to stick with 1.25" eyepieces because of balance issues is a bit mis-guided, since no one has asked you what mount you will be using. I move from a heavy 31 Nagler to the lightest Abbe Ortho without a problem.

You are on the right track to start with a 13 Ethos and build a quality line up around that eyepiece. As you have access to a dark sky, the 31 Nagler is one of the best low power eyepieces you can pair with your TV85, and will give you spectacular wide field views. Those two will keep you busy for a long time.

The Delites are also very good and will serve you well for lunar and planetary in the shorter focal lengths. So you were pretty much on the right track in your first post.
Old 16-10-2017, 06:53 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Depending on what EPs exactly are used when switching between 1.25" and 2", the adaptor that you need to add for the smaller unit can also mitigate the issue. I switch between ES68°28 and ES82°11 without the dob even noticing. I suppose you could use an extra heavy adaptor
Old 16-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
The suggestion to stick with 1.25" eyepieces because of balance issues is a bit mis-guided, since no one has asked you what mount you will be using. I move from a heavy 31 Nagler to the lightest Abbe Ortho without a problem.

You are on the right track to start with a 13 Ethos and build a quality line up around that eyepiece. As you have access to a dark sky, the 31 Nagler is one of the best low power eyepieces you can pair with your TV85, and will give you spectacular wide field views. Those two will keep you busy for a long time.

The Delites are also very good and will serve you well for lunar and planetary in the shorter focal lengths. So you were pretty much on the right track in your first post.
Misguided, I am!

Seriously though, I love refractors, have lots of EPs and on any given night, I try to use a range of EPs with similar weights. Maybe I do not tighten the screws to put enough friction on the mount, because on occasions, simply the removal of a heavy EP will have the scope moving since it is out of balance. This is mainly with altz mounts, so as noted, it may not be a problem with a driven EQ mount or even with an altz mount if things are tightened.

I have a 35mm Panoptic which I use with my C8. but was used only as a curiosity with my refractors. The weight caused problems and the large field seemed wasted. I have a 13mm Ethos, which is nice to use, but I prefer more flexible combinations.
Old 17-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Allan

Just playin with you Bob.