Old 28-02-2008, 09:48 PM
godina06 (Tom)

Orion starshoot autoguider

Hi
Orion has just released its all new autoguider. Seems the price is quite attractive. Just wondering did anyone use this autoguider? How would you compare it to other autoguider like ST4 and QHY5?
Old 29-02-2008, 04:28 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi godina.
Have you got a link to some specs of it? What's the price?

In my opinion, the best guide camera, simply because of its dual purpose as an exceptional planetary/lunar imaging camera, is the DMK21AU04.

No external power, no parallel ports, just straight into USB and use software like PHD guiding with a shoestring GPUSB unit + connector back to the mount.
Old 29-02-2008, 04:44 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Godina

I have the original Orion Deep Sky Star Shooter (ODSSS) which has Peltier cooling and I use it as a guide camera with a WO 66mm ‘scope as the separate guide scope.

It came with MaximDL Essentials, an application that I didn’t like, so I use PHDGuiding instead, which I do like. The original ODSSS is a colour CCD and is cooled (via a separate mains adapter) so I don’t get any noise in the 640x480 frame when auto guiding, so the stars are always nice and clean. I generally use exposures of between 2 and 10 seconds to find suitable guide stars.

Just from a casual observation, it seems to guide as well as the separate guide chip on my SBIG ST7 CCD camera in terms of producing round stars in the imaging camera.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 29-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by godina06 View Post
Hi
Orion has just released its all new autoguider. Seems the price is quite attractive. Just wondering did anyone use this autoguider? How would you compare it to other autoguider like ST4 and QHY5?
Hi,

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I think the Orion IS a rebadged QHY5. One of the benefits of this is that it doesn't need a GPUSB unit as it plugs directly into the ST4 compatible guide port of the mount.

If the choice was between the QHY 5 and the Orion I would get the QHY 5 as it is cheaper, also there are quite a few threads around here where people claim good success with the unit.

Paul
Old 29-02-2008, 08:46 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

Paul, you are correct - the Orion unit is the QHY5.
Old 29-02-2008, 11:28 AM
godina06 (Tom)

Hi

This unit cost $369 in Bintel. What do you think?
Here is the spec of the orion autoguider:

Product Specifications:

Imaging sensor Micron MT9M001
Imaging sensor size 6.66mm x 5.32mm
Pixel array 1280 x 1024 (1,310,720 total)
Pixel size 5.2 x 5.2
Imaging chip Monochrome
Video frame rate 15 frames/second at full resolution
Autoguider capability Yes
Exposure range 0.05 second to 10 second
A/D conversion 8 bit
Thermoelectric cooling No
IR filter No
Mounting 1.25" nozzle or t-thread
USB connection High-speed 2.0
Software compatibility Windows XP/Vista
Weight (oz.) 4.40
Warranty One year

StarShoot AutoGuider
  • Finally, an easy-to-use, affordable autoguider for long-exposure astrophotography
  • Uses a 1/2" format 1.3MP CMOS chip, with 5.2 x 5.2 micron pixels for highly accurate guiding
  • Compact housing measures just 2.5" x 2.35" and weighs a mere 4.4 oz.
  • Included software offers automatic calibration and guiding with a single mouse click
  • Powered via your computer's high-speed USB 2.0 connection; no other power source needed
  • ST4 compatible autoguide output jack on camera body
Autoguiding has revolutionized the capture of deep-sky images by mechanizing the tedious and tiring method of "manually" guiding an exposure, which involved staring endlessly into an illuminated reticle eyepiece while tweaking your mount's electronic drive controls by hand to keep the stars pinpoint sharp. Until now, the problem has always been the lack of a simple, affordable autoguider camera to do the job.
Problem solved. The StarShoot AutoGuider provides a user-friendly, dedicated autoguiding system for long-exposure astrophotography. It's compatible with virtually any mount equipped with an autoguider port and comes with the software and cables needed to work right out of the box!
The AutoGuider's sensor is a high-resolution, 1/2" format 1.3-megapixel CMOS monochrome chip, with 5.2µ x 5.2µ pixels for highly accurate guiding. That high accuracy due to the small pixel size means you can use the AutoGuider with smaller, less expensive guide scopes than is possible with other guide cameras (such as the now-discontinued ST-4). The chip resides in a super-compact, anodized aluminum housing that measures just 2.5"wide by 2.35" long and weighs a mere 4.4 oz. It has a 1.25" nosepiece that can be removed to access a T-thread interface. And the AutoGuider's short inward focus requirement of only 15mm from a typical 1.25" Plössl eyepiece makes it compatible with virtually any telescope.
The AutoGuider's incredible ease of use will appeal to beginning and experienced astrophotographers alike. The included software requires no previous knowledge of autoguiding. It offers automatic calibration and guiding with literally a single mouse click. The camera is powered via your computer's high-speed USB 2.0 connection with the included 10' USB cable; no other power source is needed. A 6' RJ-12 cable is also included to connect the AutoGuider to the mount without the need for an additional RS-232 adapter.
With the StarShoot AutoGuider, precision autoguiding for deep-sky photography is now easier and more economical than ever. Get one today for your imaging setup! One-year limited warranty.
Requires PC running Windows 2000, XP or Vista.

Last edited by godina06; 29-02-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 29-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

The Q guider gets good reviews and the Orion one is the same thing with a different badge. However Bintel claim that the Orion comes with"all necesary cables", whereas in this thread it was stated that no cables come with the Q guider, so while the Q guider may be cheaper, you'll have to scratch around for cables.
Geoff
Old 29-02-2008, 04:03 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Out of the QGuider and the Orion at this stage I'm happy with my choice to go with the QGuider. I did have troubles with the autoguider cable but that's my fault for not wiring it right. USB cable adds to the cost if you need to buy it. I am still sorting out the guiding, trying to get it working right, but I think that I'd be using the same software with either camera so don't think one would be easier than the other.

The QGuider is cheaper, that's what it comes down to.

Having used the QGuider the only thing I wish is that it had some form of cooling to keep it's noise level down. I've considered glueing a peltier on to it. I expect the Orion would have the same noise issues. Software dark frame reduction obviously reduces the impact of this, if you use software that supports dark frame subtraction. Anyway, same issue of noise would be there for both cameras.
Old 29-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Gama

Boys, the Orion stashoot guider is a rebadged QHY-5.
Cables for the guider are available, its listed on my website, i dont include it as an option, as people have their own, some dont want it because all do not have the same mount. The basic cable will not work for everymount, but If you want a cable, just ask for one, and let me know the length you need and its made and shipped with the camera. The cost ?, well only $4 dollars for the 2 meter and $5 for 3 meters http://web.aanet.com.au/gama/qhy%20cmos%20prices.html. Bottom line, they are a good guider, regardless of its rebadged names.

Hang in there Roger, i am looking into modifying the Qguider to accept a Peltier. If it works well, it will be available to all.

Theo
Old 29-02-2008, 10:52 PM
netwolf

Theo, peltier upgrade that would be really "cool" to have, its on my wish list.
Old 29-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Gama

Yes, and about 1,000 others.
I need to see just how much difference is gained by using a Peltier, as QHY did some prelimenary tests some time ago, but never moved on from there.

I'll have a look into this further.

Theo.

By the way, go look at this image of the moon taken with the QHY-5 http://qhyccd.com/ccdbbs/index.php?topic=716.0
Old 25-04-2008, 02:19 AM
Ian Robinson

Decided to go with the Orion Autoguider , really can't be bothered stuffing about getting special cables.

Though I am might need an adapter since the Starbook uses RJ-11 (http://vixenamerica.com/pdf/Technica...uiderNotes.pdf )

and the Orion Autoguider uses RJ-12
Quote:
A 6' RJ-12 cable is also included to connect the AutoGuider to the mount without the need for an additional RS-232 adapter.
from http://www.telescope.com/control/pro...47A951.ivprod1

Anyone here tackled autoguiding via a Vixen Starbook and their Atlux or Sphinx ?
Old 08-02-2009, 05:27 PM
cfranks (Charles)

Re-opening this thread after 10 months.

I am about to buy a Starshoot Autoguider(?) and ask what you guys finally decided on last year. Any positive/negative comments on it (and the QHY)and did the Peltier cooling ever eventuate.
Thx
Charles
Old 12-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfranks View Post
Re-opening this thread after 10 months.

I am about to buy a Starshoot Autoguider(?) and ask what you guys finally decided on last year. Any positive/negative comments on it (and the QHY)and did the Peltier cooling ever eventuate.
Thx
Charles
I have the Orion. There's quite a bit of dark current, but if you take a dark frame first the problem pretty much disappears. Camera is very sensitive with a nice big chip. Using a 70mm refractor as a guidescope there are always suitable guidestars in the FOV. Same story with an OAG on a 4" refractor. I'd recommend it.
Geoff
Old 12-02-2009, 01:58 PM
prova

Mine arrives tomorrow

Old 12-02-2009, 04:38 PM
TrevorW

Have one, works well, really simple to use, two cables one to camera from laptop and one from camera to guide port on mount.

No hassle PHD guiding is easy, basically connect to camera connect to mount choose a star focus click it spends some time calibrating then goes into guide mode

once you get the hang of it about 4 clicks of the mouse has you guiding.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Gama

The Orion starshoot guider and the QHY-5 are the same camera.
You will be happy with either, they do a great job..

Theo.