Old 12-01-2019, 03:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Eta Carina fun run.

Still having problems but rather than using the clear sky to fix things I went with my usual short exposure approach.

Managed up to 60 seconds exposures by getting PA spot on.no guiding..but the distance from the sensor to the field flatner is causing ovals..cropped them mostly.

This is about 3 hours all up used all filters except S11 cause by 4 am I was beat.

Scope 80mm espirt on HEQ5 unguided stacked in DSS, processed in Star Tools, Photos Shop and Gimp.

Anyways to get something I stacked the lot and coloured in the result...no dark frames or flats...when everything is working I will be less slack ...so here is my artistic rendition.

When back in Sydney with time on my hands will process the data conventionally.
Look at the second one first...not sure about the first I did a number on the stars that does not seem to have worked.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (etaice.jpg)
213.3 KB68 views
Click for full-size image (etaice1.jpg)
226.9 KB65 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 12-01-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:45 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Wow Alex, the most colorful Eta Carina I have ever seen. It reminds me of a shirt I used to wear in the early 90's! You're giving everyones LCD screen a real workout. You have some really nice detail in that data you've collected and your stars are nice and round. Maybe just desaturate the pic to bring it back to a more pastel look but then again, if you want impact, just leave it the way it is! You have a very unique way of processing, the Ken Done of astrophotography.

Last edited by Mickoid; 12-01-2019 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Text correction
Old 12-01-2019, 05:10 PM
raymo

WOW 2. You should open an art gallery Alex.
raymo
Old 12-01-2019, 08:16 PM
johnyb (John)

Alex, I think its fantastic, as the others said, its art, and an original idea i bet.
If you show it to people who are not into astrophotography, i reckon that they will like it over any other processed images you may have on eta.

Will look good blown up on a wall.
Old 13-01-2019, 08:59 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

My images never look as bright on my machine ... but when I post them they do look over saturated to me.

I am going to start the ball rolling to have my eye cateracts treated so this art period may be short lived...maybe folk will say...well during his saturation to excess period he was preoccupied with the sound of orange...we can only watch as it all unfolds.

But I was thinking...

The electro magnetic specrum if represented as a movie film (the old type with individual identifiable frames) some 2000 miles long that part that we see, the visable part of the spectrum, can be represented as only one single frame...yes all we see is just one single frame in that long strip of film...so I see my efforts as a reminder that although my images appear to contain more colour than we like they are nevertheless still hopelessly devoid of all the information contained in the electromagnetic spectrum that we never imagine.

And it is funny ...if we could see all the spectrum somehow visually all we would see is just a mist of all there is I expect.

Certainly my high powered approach to colour is well received by folk not into astronomy...they often ask...are they coloured like that...to which I say well if you look thru a scope they appear near black and white and the colour although present is extremely subtle such that features you notice here because of the colour may not be apparent otherwise.

But I am sure the extreme colour has folk looking with more interest than if they were presented with what we would call a good image.

The large image on my lappy seems to have so much more detail than the images here...I am surprised how well the little 80mm and the zwo pull out detail...and happy actually.

Thanks to all for looking.
Alex
Old 14-01-2019, 01:56 PM
leon

Very interesting Alex how did you actually do that, not taking the image but the different colours

Leon
Old 14-01-2019, 04:26 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Leon
I save 4 times from Star Tools then colour each in photo shop.
Lay one image on another and use the rubber to bring out colour from the bottom image and mix it in with the top image where I want it. ..flatten those then add another colour layer and use the rubber to bring in another colour...flatten those and well just keep doing that until dinner is ready.
Alex
Old 14-01-2019, 04:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

What I have been doing as I have yet to get all filters going is to take what I can thru each filter and stack the lot all at once so R B G and Ha O11 S11 luminance...whatever all get stacked and that gives me a blacj and white detailed image which I colour in...I was just trying to get a mega luminance really ...but it gives a very quick result and my main thing is the detail so I am not worried yet about my slack approach to colour...I am happy and content for the moment.
When I get everything working I will get serious.
Alex
Old 14-01-2019, 05:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Maybe this is more appealing...a final process on my phone.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2019-01-14 17.05.13.jpg)
109.8 KB12 views
Old 14-01-2019, 05:12 PM
leon

Thanks mate, now your getting a bit fancy, nice work.

Leon
Old 14-01-2019, 08:42 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

They're all pretty cool Alex & if the result pleases you... that's all that really matters....

Who knows what colours they all are really anyway....
Old 15-01-2019, 02:08 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I think I know what you're doing with these pics, you're going to print them with blackilight paint onto black velvet right? like those clown paintings from the 70s?