Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 04-11-2018, 07:02 PM
casstony

Hi Bill, from my point of view the picture misrepresented the product as lifepo4. Nevertheless the seller is going to give me a refund and suggested not accepting delivery and having the battery returned to sender.

The seller has said that the 40Ah battery is lifepo4 so I might still give that a go.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:19 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I currently have a 200 AH deep cycle battery that I use when I'm not at home and if I had the funds at the moment I'd upgrade to a LiFePo4 in a heartbeat.

200AH deep cycle is 75kg and is best not discharged below 50%. 200AH LiFePo4 is 25 kg, had been discharged to 95% and can be charged at about 5x the speed!
Old 07-11-2018, 12:29 AM
netwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
I know that LiFePo batteries are all very sexy and so forth but really, I fail to see the equivalence between one of those (at $499) and 6 x 38AH Aldi Deep Cycle at $79 each. In other words, for the same money, you can parallel 6x 38AH for 228AH or nearly quadruple the capacity. OK I'm a cheapskate. I accept that. But even so ...

Peter
Peter i did see some AGM batteries at Aldi they had quiet a few at the store i went too, i also note Aldi start to doscount if things dont sell .
Old 07-11-2018, 09:26 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
I know that LiFePo batteries are all very sexy and so forth but really, I fail to see the equivalence between one of those (at $499) and 6 x 38AH Aldi Deep Cycle at $79 each. In other words, for the same money, you can parallel 6x 38AH for 228AH or nearly quadruple the capacity. OK I'm a cheapskate. I accept that. But even so ...

Peter
The sexiest aspect of Lifepo4 is their light weight, especially when one has knee or hip problems
Old 07-11-2018, 10:00 AM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
The sexiest aspect of Lifepo4 is their light weight, especially when one has knee or hip problems
I agree. I don't have a permanent setup (and I have a heart condition), so it's one more less heavy thing to lug around in the dark.

Since it can be discharged till nearly empty, my 33 ah @ 3kg is the equivalent of a 60 ah @ 20kg lead acid.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:02 AM
DaveNZ (Dave)

I have been looking at a LifePO4 too. This will be for my permanent setup and would be charged via a 200w solar panel via an ePever MPPT 30A charge controller which can be setup for lithium charge parameters.

What I like is that lithium voltage stays more level than my Gel cell battery (better for running electronics) also with my gel cell you can only really use about 50% or less of the capacity while lithium I think you can use up to about 80% of the capacity.

Still a bit hit up front $$$ wise though. I been looking at buyinh local here in NZ from AASolar.

Dave
Old 09-11-2018, 12:02 PM
casstony

I got a refund for the 60Ah NMC (Nickel Manganese Cobalt) lithium battery and ordered the 40Ah Lifepo4 with a 10% off voucher that Ebay happened to have available. It sounds like a good thing but time will tell.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-40AH...g/142905405468

The 38Ah lead acid gel cell I have is very heavy and only lasts about 3 hours with dew heaters running. I've also got a 17Ah jump start and between the two batteries I get maybe 4 hours imaging time with heaters set fairly low.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
I got a refund for the 60Ah NMC (Nickel Manganese Cobalt) lithium battery and ordered the 40Ah Lifepo4 with a 10% off voucher that Ebay happened to have available. It sounds like a good thing but time will tell.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-40AH...g/142905405468

The 38Ah lead acid gel cell I have is very heavy and only lasts about 3 hours with dew heaters running. I've also got a 17Ah jump start and between the two batteries I get maybe 4 hours imaging time with heaters set fairly low.
That sounds like a good deal with the 10% off.

Cheers
Paul
Old 17-11-2018, 10:01 AM
casstony

I've used the 40Ah Lifepo4 a bit and it seems like a good thing. I ran it for a few hours when it arrived with a dew heater to test it and then used it running the mount and heaters last night for a few hours and the voltage hasn't changed (charging it now for the first time as I didn't realise the battery needed to be switched on to accept charge).

The battery reads 13.3 volts. The charger reads 14.6v until the battery is switched on then a little less while charging. The charger has a red light which turns green when fully charged (charger turns off at 14.5v).

- loads of capacity and only 4.8 kg.

Last edited by casstony; 17-11-2018 at 05:29 PM.