Old 04-04-2019, 10:53 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Try this (just a )

Should work with most eyepieces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrdkFXsr5Us

Old 05-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Wavytone

Jeremy I would put that Zeiss product in the bin, NOW.

I’m surprised you aren’t aware there is a thread on CN in which it appears that stuff completely removed the coatings from a Meade ScT corrector, and the contents are not exactly what it seems.

Secondly while multicoatings may be quite tough (as the ones on my specs are) this does not mean all coatings are - as I found out recently - something did completely remove the coatings on my latest pair and I had to go back to using the previous pair.

In particular, Takahashi warn cleaning agents containing ammonia will damage their coatings.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Jeremy I would put that Zeiss product in the bin, NOW.

I’m surprised you aren’t aware there is a thread on CN in which it appears that stuff completely removed the coatings from a Meade ScT corrector, and the contents are not exactly what it seems.

Secondly while multicoatings may be quite tough (as the ones on my specs are) this does not mean all coatings are - as I found out recently - something did completely remove the coatings on my latest pair and I had to go back to using the previous pair.

In particular, Takahashi warn cleaning agents containing ammonia will damage their coatings.

I assumer thare are hundreds of threads on forums people aren't aware of, anyway not bin, just sunglassers from now on

TU
Old 07-04-2019, 03:29 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

This ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cMbivz-hrM
Old 08-04-2019, 05:55 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

The Zeiss lens cleaning wipes are a good option. They have the right material for the wipe and the right chemicals for cleaning and from a company that knows something about optics.

$14 for 50 x wipes posted to your door

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ZEISS-Cl...EAAOSwN5VamgQY

Cheers
John B
Old 09-04-2019, 08:13 AM
DeWynter (ILYA)

From my experience of cleaning photo lenses (doing that for almost 40 years on Carl Zeiss, Nikon and Fujifilm lenses) right now there are two excellent solutions for that:

Lens Clean from VisibleDust: https://visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=304
it's non-alcohol solution. Can be shipped from overseas. Doesn't leave any streaks. Available on Amazon/eBay/B&H etc.

Eclipse Optic Cleaning Solution: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Cleaning.html
Unfortunately cannot be shipped by air. There was a local source of this solution in Australia, but looks like it's gone recently.

Lens Clean from VisibleDust is probably the easiest to get, cheap and works exceptionally well on multicoated optics.

In terms of cloth/fabric - yes, microfibre cloth is the way to go, but just make sure you've got lint free one, made specifically for optics.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:25 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Says a LOT about Meade's MC's then Nick. Considering Zeiss pioneered and still lead in the MC AR business, I think they know a thing or 2 about what would damage the coatings. I've been using Zeiss for YEARS, on everything from Tak to VERY expensive rifle scopes - no damage whatsoever.

Can you link to the CN article - I could not find it, using many forms of search strings.

Anyway, for Kimwipes, I use my favourite go-to Aussie supplier on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_...wipes&_sacat=0

Last edited by LewisM; 17-04-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 17-04-2019, 04:57 PM
Wavytone

Hi Lewis,

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...-lens-cleaner/

As far as I could figure from that thread it was never conclusive what happened. That the corrector was originally coated was evident from the glass under the retaining ring, but whether it was a bad job on Meade's part, or ruined over time by the way it was contaminated over the years, or as a result of the cleaning is unclear. My suspicion is the former, but I wouldn't dismiss the other possibilities either.

Realising this scope is old... there were certainly were issues with MgF AR coatings on computer monitors in the 1980's and 1990's - it was quite common for zealots keen on a scrupulously clean screen to rub the coatings off.

However I'm not prepared to experiment on the corrector of a valuable and rare scope, or my eyepieces, so frankly I'd have to say just don't do it and get rid of this stuff if you have it. Leave the experiments for those prepared to risk a cheap SCT that can be replaced easily.

Also..

I've worn specs since the age of 4 - and I get a new pair every two years - and have had coated lenses for decades. While it is true the modern coatings are tough (the pale green-yellow multicoatings have a top layer of zinc cryolite - harder than glass) and I've always thought they could stand daily gentle cleaning, twice I have had pairs where the coatings failed - the first about 10 years ago, and the last was a pair made last year which didn't last 2 months.

I've also seen academic research into the way coatings fail and its primarily the same mechanism that causes aluminium mirror coatings to degrade - all coatings have microscopic pinholes from the day they're made allowing water molecules to slowly get in between the glass and coating, very slowly the pore grows and a flake falls off. It's only a matter of time, though how you store it is clearly a factor.

Using a desiccant is obvious, whereas leaving a dewy wet scope in a sealed box isn't a great idea... and both good regarding the need to minimise the risk of fungus. I also put my scope in full sun after an observing session as soon as I can to make sure it its really dried out and gets a dose of UV.

Last edited by Wavytone; 17-04-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 17-04-2019, 07:52 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

After reading all pages of that thread, I can safely say I will continue using Zeiss cleaning products on my scopes. That entire thread was laughable, especially by the time the OP claimed he had a lawyer retained to go after Zeiss. Yeah, sure.

When I get a new-to-me 2nd hand scope, I do a Roland - acetone and Kimwipes. Then I use my homebrew distilled water-ethanol-dash of Morning Fresh () for any maintenence (ONCE so far).

The Intes Mak I recently restored was absolutely filthy on the corrector when I got it - BLACK filthy. Ask Flash what it's like now
Old 17-04-2019, 07:55 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Thank you all I got the isopro stuff you said the other day and it is very good, many thanks