Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2017, 10:04 AM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Help my Eta Carinae is too bright

Hi all

I am trying to process and Eta Carina mosaic which I got plenty of data for. Unfortunately when I combine my 3 channels (Ha,OIII,SII) in Pixel maths I am clipping some of the image as I appear to have too much signal in the brighter areas of the neb.

I went back and tried to stretch my three base images less but when I do that I lose some of the fainter areas. Is there a way to stretch the faint areas without stretching the bright areas as much? If I just use the middle slider like I usually do in Histogram Transformation I am getting too much signal in the bright areas as well.

Brett
Old 07-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

I would try maskedstretch(only stretches dimmer parts of the image), or make a range mask and stretch separately.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:54 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Hi Brett,

Try turning on the "rescale result" option in PixelMath. That will keep the result from being truncated if it goes out of range.

I've never had a problem like this but I always do the colour combine with linear data and then stretch after that.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Here is what I have so far. Seems to be clipped out in places. What do you think?

https://flic.kr/p/Xu2BZa

Brett
Old 07-08-2017, 02:01 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookyer View Post
Here is what I have so far. Seems to be clipped out in places. What do you think?
Yes, I agree.

Rescaling the PixelMath result may give you a quick fix. In the longer term I'd recommend doing the colour combination while your data is still linear. You really have to do that for RGB if you want accurate colour and I can't think of any reason to do NB colour any differently.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

I have been following the Light vortex tutorials, with his theory being you stretch the channels first and get the mean and median values similar so that when you combine them one channel doesn't overwhelm the others. If you combine first you must stretch the whole image at once, how do you stop the strongest channel dominating the image?

Brett
Old 07-08-2017, 06:29 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookyer View Post
I have been following the Light vortex tutorials, with his theory being you stretch the channels first and get the mean and median values similar so that when you combine them one channel doesn't overwhelm the others. If you combine first you must stretch the whole image at once, how do you stop the strongest channel dominating the image?
I use LinearFit to match the three linear channels before combining them. An alternative is to combine the channels and do an unlinked STF stretch - you can easily check with STF what this is going to look like with a screen stretch.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

thanks Rick, will have a look at that. I do a Linear Fit in my workflow but not really sure why exactly.

Brett