Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 22-07-2017, 11:03 AM
dannyboy (Danny)
person of interest

Hi from the Latrobe Valley & help with eq6 mount

Hi,
Danny here, I finally have time ( and some funds) to indulge in a hobby and this is it!

To this end I have begun to make plans, join an astronomical society, collect equipment and start to learn how to use the equipment and find my way around.

Because I am buying used, I need to ensure that the stuff I buy actually works, easy enough with a telescope or filters, more difficult with cameras and other equipment that performs multiple functions.

My latest purchase is an eq6 pro mount bought from the forums on iceinspace last week. So far I haven't been able to make it move! It powers on and initialises but does not respond to any slew commands. Being on L plates it is entirely possible that I am missing something basic.

After initialising, the mount beeps and then continues with a whining / whistling sound coming from the control board side of the mount. Does that sound right?

Then after choosing not to align the mount it enters setup mode. When operating the slew controls (arrow buttons) it produces a fluttering noise in conjunction with the aforementioned sounds but no movement. This is the point when I would have expected the mount to move.

Is there a procedure that I can use to test that the mount can operate normally?
Have I screwed up somehow?

The synscan version is 3.12. I cannot upgrade the firmware yet as I have no cable to connect to my PC.

Utterly confused .... Danny

ps Thanks in advance for any help
Old 22-07-2017, 04:58 PM
CatznStars (Ed)

Hi Danny and welcome to the hobby.

Check that the RA and DEC clutches are engaged (see your EQ6 manual) otherwise the motors will operate but you won't see any movement.
Old 23-07-2017, 12:00 PM
dannyboy (Danny)
person of interest

I have movement

Hi CatznStarz,

Thanks for your reply,

I lied to the mount and pretended to do a 1 star alignment and it slews fine.
Probably I just couldn't see the minor movement of sidereal tracking rate.

Typical newbie nerves I suppose!

Off to my next misadventure now.

Cheerio,

Danny
Old 31-07-2017, 06:48 AM
_Jimmy (Loren James)

HI Danny,

You may have sorted this since, if I recall correctly (I haven't used the control paddle fo.. er, ever) it may initialise with the slew rate at "1" (slowest). There should be a rate button (it's 2 on mine), hit that and then hit a number (1-9) to change this with 9 being the fastest.

Cheers Jimmy.