Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Poll: number of cooled DSLR's on the forum
Poll Options
number of cooled DSLR's on the forum
You can only choose 2 options to vote on.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:15 PM
h0ughy (David)

how many members out there own a cooled DSLR

I am about to delve into the unknown again and get a 40D modded and cooled from CentralDS, i was wondering how many other IIS members have a cooled DSLR?

I already own a centralDS cooled canon 350D
Old 04-04-2010, 05:49 PM
gbeal

Huff,
I know it isn't the thrust of your thread, and for this I apologise, but I am always wondering why people actually go to the trouble of cooling a DSLR, as opposed to using a simple OSC camera like the QHY8 or SX-M25?
Same chip even in most cases.
Gary
Old 04-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I just have a cool DSLR. :tonguepoke:

H
Old 04-04-2010, 06:31 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
Huff,
I know it isn't the thrust of your thread, and for this I apologise, but I am always wondering why people actually go to the trouble of cooling a DSLR, as opposed to using a simple OSC camera like the QHY8 or SX-M25?
Same chip even in most cases.
Gary
I think it's "sticking with the devil you know" in my case - I know it's being wussy re CCDs as there's learning curves with anything new (DSLRs included) but I love the simplicity of Live View on my 40D. Framing and focussing frighten me with a CCD and my budget setup.
A cooled DLSR would be perfect for my widefield imaging needs.

Add me to the 'wannabe' list for cooling mods Houghy.

That said (devil's advocate time...), I wonder if the $1250AU +/- investment in cooling is worth it given that the 40D body can be had on ebay for roughly $500-600??? Given that I bought the thing originally for close to $2K when it first came out it would seem economically daft to spend more on technology which will be superceded very soon I would imagine!? Are 16bit DSLRs just around the corner????

So you can also add me to the "" list too!!!!
Doug

back on topic...I know of at least 7 guys around the traps here who have Central DS or home cooling mods
Old 05-04-2010, 06:01 AM
gbeal

Cheers Doug, and I guess I sort of see where you are with them. But in my case, the Liveview is superseded by the ability to focus etc with the software, and that makes up for the lack of Liveview to me.
I tried using my Sony a700, a very good DSLR, but there is nothing in the way of software assist for it, and in the end I found focus to be the number one headache.
Each to their own, enjoy whatever you have, it is the time spent that is the part I enjoy.
Gary
Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Lester

Hi David,

I have a Astro 40D From Central DS, got it 18months ago. Although I know of a few that had to be sent back after the mod due to malfunctions, mine has worked well. I purchased the 40D from Central DS, only down fall was the manual was in Korean, no English. Downloaded the manual off the web.

Some said that there would be GST on such a camera purchased from overseas; but I didn't have to pay on its return. Don't know if this is normal, or just lucky.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Well I have a cooled 40D, homebrew job but..-25 below ambient no prob.
Total cost of camera/filter with regulator etc was under $1000
Seems to work well, but if I had the extra money I would get a OSC ccd. Hopefully in the next year or two..something like the new QHY-9 color or a even bigger chip.
Like Doug mentions, the ability to do widefield shots with standard lenses is a advantage as well as the liveview. Don`t know how you go about stopping down a standard lens with a ccd but?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Gary,

You can trick the lenses. Put them on a DSLR, stop down to desired aperture, use the depth of field preview button and then take the lens off the camera.

H
Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 AM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Gary,

You can trick the lenses. Put them on a DSLR, stop down to desired aperture, use the depth of field preview button and then take the lens off the camera.

H
Nice tip H - I'm saving that for the future, Cheers
Doug
Old 05-04-2010, 12:00 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

I am in the cooled CCD camp so cooled DSLRs are not really of current interest , but came across this a short while ago -anyone know more about this ? scroll down to the bottom for pricing

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea.../o/all/fpart/1
Old 05-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Quote:
Gary,

H
Thanks H! that`s a nice trick to remember
I`ll write that down somewhere
Old 05-04-2010, 02:42 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
I just have a cool DSLR. :tonguepoke:

H
sorry h but Bert has the coolest DSLR of all
Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Dave,

That's not a DSLR, it's a Frankenmonster on a life support system.

H
Old 05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
h0ughy (David)

well H get your facts straight before you go boasting like that, or the frankenmonster will get you. Sometime self ratings can be so overrated
Old 14-04-2010, 03:48 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Found this on my travels...
http://www.starworksteam.com/it/coolingboxmk1
A tad expensive - $1500US at Opt
?? could be the future for warranty maintaining cooling ??
It looks huge too! But, carbon fibre so may be lightweight!
Doug
Old 19-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Paul Haese

The new range of cooled CCD camera at low prices has now really killed the DSLR is cheaper argument. I have a cooled CCD that I have loaned to a mate for the time being. I plan on using this with a Canon lens to do ultra wide field images at some point. It cost me over 3K to buy and get it modded.

I think that getting a cooled CCD is a better option now and the translation across to CCD is not as hard as some might think. I went the CCDstack route and just followed the tut until I wanted to explore some of the functions.

Get a cooled CCD and forget the DSLR versions.
Old 19-04-2010, 11:34 AM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post

Get a cooled CCD and forget the DSLR versions.
I'm seriously considering it Paul.
The next dilemma is whether to go OSC or mono for my widefield lens stuff.
I've enjoyed using the Ha and OIII clip in filters with my 40D - not true NB I know, but enjoyable none the less.
I'm loathed to lose that, but a mono 8300 chip + filter wheel and filter sets puts the price up considerably.
Doug
Old 19-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Paul Haese

Doug you won't believe how much of a difference a monochrome camera can really make to your images.
Old 19-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Phil Hart

i have a QHY9 and a cooled 40D..

no question that QHY9 produces better end result, but for wide field imaging with Canon lenses it's very hard to beat the ease and convenience of cooled 40D operating off a programmable timer release. liveview focus, no laptops, no software, no drivers.. just reliable, enjoyable, easily transportable imaging.

the QHY performs well, but it has given me a lot more frustration than DSLRs, so it also depends whether you're chasing the best possible result or just want easy enjoyable imaging as a hobby.

one other factor that is very relevant to me at the moment, is that with widefield imaging you tend to work at fast f-ratios. the sensors in CCD cameras are not necessarily mounted with the critical accuracy required, whereas i've never came across this issue with sensors in DSLRs (used to see the effect on film a lot though). i believe the sensor in my QHY9 is tilted (within spec, but not good enough for working at f2.8) but plan to do some more serious testing and will report results later.

short answer is that cooled DSLR is the winner for me for widefield (except narrowband) imaging with camera lenses.

phil
Old 19-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Phil Hart

other factors doug might like to consider..

getting lenses to fit CCD cameras can be quite an effort.. i had QHY9 camera and filter wheel connectors modified to reduce the distance between lens and sensor, then bought a Mamiya 80mm medium format lens and had adaptors made up for that. all adds to cost and tediousness compared to snapping on a canon lens made to work with a DSLR.

i've also not been 100% happy with the halos/colour fringing that i think results from the microlenses on the pixel sites. this has a big effect on DSLR widefield images but if anything it's worse with the QHY9. as always, it's a work in progress and more testing required..