Old 20-04-2014, 07:00 AM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

PEC software

Hi all

I am interested in determining what PE is in my mount and then training it out with a curve if required.

I downloaded PemPro for this purpose. The problem with PemPro is it basically requires Maxim or CCDSoft to work. I got a copy of CCDSoft when I bought my SBIG camera so I thought I had that covered.

Anyway under the stars last night I started the process and couldn't get past step 1. The version of CCDSoft I have doesn't support my camera. Kind of begs the question why they supply it with the camera but in any case it took me quite a while on the net trying to find an updated version. CCDSoft is no longer sold but I am told build 217 was the final and that is what I am after. Eventually found it on the Software Bisque site (which was as slow as I might add and very frustrating to use) that I happened to already by registered on. Couldn't download it though because my "permission was denied". I have emailed them to see if they will allow me to update it.

If that doesn't work however is there any other options other then PemPro?
Old 20-04-2014, 08:48 AM
PRejto (Peter)

I'm seeing the STF-8300 camera as a possibility in my version of CCDSoft. I suppose you tried that and it didn't work...

If there is an ASCOM driver for the STT camera you can load it to CCDSoft.

SB site is running quite slow the past 2 days which is a bit unusual. It's normally fast.

Peter
Old 21-04-2014, 03:10 AM
frolinmod

To obtain download access to CCDSoft, first register your CCDSoft serial number here. If it says it's already registered and it doesn't show up when you click here then it's registered to another account.
Old 23-04-2014, 09:52 PM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

HI Brett,

Looks like we're following parallel paths here too. I tried in vain to find an update for CCDSoft V5 a few weeks ago after being quite disappointed that the boxed version didn't support the 8300. I couldn't even join the SB site then.

Have just tried again tonight (after first downloading a trial copy of PEMPro and finding that I actually needed CCDSoft to use PEMPro) and was successful at (a) joining the site, (b) registering my software s/n and (c) locating where I could download the latest (v .217) CCDSoft. Quite a win I thought. However with limited download data left this month I'll leave it until after midnight to actually do the download. I am hoping that the latest (and last?) version will support the 8300.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 24-04-2014, 10:09 AM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
HI Brett,

Looks like we're following parallel paths here too. I tried in vain to find an update for CCDSoft V5 a few weeks ago after being quite disappointed that the boxed version didn't support the 8300. I couldn't even join the SB site then.

Have just tried again tonight (after first downloading a trial copy of PEMPro and finding that I actually needed CCDSoft to use PEMPro) and was successful at (a) joining the site, (b) registering my software s/n and (c) locating where I could download the latest (v .217) CCDSoft. Quite a win I thought. However with limited download data left this month I'll leave it until after midnight to actually do the download. I am hoping that the latest (and last?) version will support the 8300.

Cheers,
Chris
And furthermore, CCDSoft V5 build v217 downloaded okay last night - all 100 Mb of it - and it does cater for the STT range of SBIG cameras.

I've just had a look through the extensive capabilities of CCDSoft and am now left wondering why Software Bisque has abandoned it. It's officially obsolete and unsupported. Maybe SB is pushing their professional software suite or expecting people to use MaxImDL?

Chris
Old 24-04-2014, 11:13 AM
frolinmod

CCDSoft was likely written in C++ using an application development environment that was state of the art when Windows 95 was current. It was getting very long in the tooth. They could have re-written it, but I gather they wanted to do something new instead.

For image acquisition, guiding and such, they're pushing the Camera Add On to TheSkyX. For image processing they're encouraging us to use state of the art image processing software, freeware, open source or other vendors.

Last edited by frolinmod; 24-04-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 25-04-2014, 12:36 PM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolinmod View Post
CCDSoft was likely written in C++ using an application development environment that was state of the art when Windows 95 was current. It was getting very long in the tooth. They could have re-written it, but I gather they wanted to do something new instead.

For image acquisition, guiding and such, they're pushing the Camera Add On to TheSkyX. For image processing they're encouraging us to use state of the art image processing software, freeware, open source or other vendors.
Thanks Frolinmod - that makes sense now. I had a quick look at the Camera Add On to TheSky and apart from the price it seems good. For the time being, I'm trialling Sequence Generator Pro since I can't get CCDSoft V5.00.217 to actually take an image with my camera (which is stopping me managing my AP1200's PEC and doing a proper PA). And as you say, there is plenty of choice for image processing software.

Chris
Old 25-04-2014, 10:38 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Chris and Brett,

Can you guys not get your camera to run with ASCOM?

Peter
Old 29-04-2014, 08:20 PM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Chris and Brett,

Can you guys not get your camera to run with ASCOM?

Peter
Peter,

I was having difficulty getting the camera working with the latest CCDOps but have now sorted that one.

As far as I can figure out, SBIG have their own drivers - or maybe they are ASCOM compliant but SGIB just don't refer to them that way.

With SGPro, I've connected the mount (via ASCOM) and the camera and filter wheel via the generic SBIG selection. No mention of ASCOM.

Not sure if that helps.....

Chris
Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Hi Peter, I have downloaded the SBIG drivers for the camera and can connect to SGP no problems.