Old 02-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Hodur (David)

Nikon d7200

My Nikon d7200 is reporting an error message, "error29". The camera wont engage autofocus, ISO or aperture settings etc. Has anyone else encountered "error29", if so what was the outcome and is there a remedy?
Old 02-11-2016, 11:23 AM
JA

Hi H,
I've never encountered that error on my nikons, but i don't have a 7200. You've done the obvious such as check the AF/M switch on the body is correctly set and not halfway perhaps? Remove your lens and look at the electrical lens and body contacts to check for any damage or corrosion. Try another lens. Is the lens that doesn't work an older "AF" lens (that needs to be driven by the body's autofocus motor) or the more recent "AF-S" type with its own internal motor?

Also I found a discourse on dpreview which might help you it relates to NOT setting "AF-ON" on f5 menu. It is for a D7000, but hopefully it's close enough. Here is the link good luck....

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3089563

Best
JA
Old 02-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Hodur (David)

Thanks, it's a bit of a last ditch effort before paying for a trip to the camera store. The camera continues to sulk, so the trip is soon

Last edited by Hodur; 02-11-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:50 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Not enough information, take a read. In my experience something triggers the error message then the Nikon stays in error until you get rid of ALL residual charge left in the camera (remove memory cards and battery then turn on the camera and let it sit 5 min. NOW turn it off, put the memory cards and battery back in and the camera should work fine. The error codes have nothing to do with any malfunction, they hibernate the camera due to bad user behaviour in order to prevent damage. So what wee you doing when the error occured?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:55 AM
Hodur (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
Not enough information, take a read. In my experience something triggers the error message then the Nikon stays in error until you get rid of ALL residual charge left in the camera (remove memory cards and battery then turn on the camera and let it sit 5 min. NOW turn it off, put the memory cards and battery back in and the camera should work fine. The error codes have nothing to do with any malfunction, they hibernate the camera due to bad user behaviour in order to prevent damage. So what wee you doing when the error occured?
Having followed your suggestion re: power down, indeed I left the camera powered down for 24 hours. My only auto lens is a Sigma Art 18-35mm with this lens attached no error message appears until a frame is captured, then the persistent err29 message appears upon capture.
All my other lens are manual, the Sigma being my portrait lens. I can't test the d7200 against any other Auto lens. My guess is the Sigma lens is generating the error. The contacts within both my camera and lens have been throughly though gently cleaned prior to cleaning there was no evidence of grease or dust, it's not a contaminant issue.
I had throughly researched Nikon error messages before posting my question re err29. No where in any of the documentation (Nikon) is there any reference to "err29", nor is there any reference on the web to a err29 message, hence my conundrum.
Conclusion, I will purchase a Sigma Dock and upgrade the firm wear. If the error persists then I will then send the lens away for service. Your suggestion re a complete power down wasn't clearly enunciated in the literature many thanks.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:31 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodur View Post
My only auto lens is a Sigma Art 18-35mm with this lens attached no error message appears until a frame is captured, then the persistent err29 message appears upon capture.
Hi H,

You didn't say whether the lens auto-focused BEFORE reporting the error for the image you took. So Did the lens Sigma lens autofocus operate for the image you took? Perhaps try it again to be 100% sure. You should be able to see the lens focus scale move and hear the lens motor operate as the lens tries to focus. CHECK this.

Suggestion: Borrow another Nikon lens to check autofocus operation on your camera. Failing that bring your camera to a camera store and ask to look at/try another Nikon lens you may be interested in purcahsing.

Best
JA
Old 06-11-2016, 01:43 PM
JA

Hi H,

In addition to the above, you may have inadvertently set your camera to use back button autofocus, thereby disabling autofocus on half shutter button depression, but instead autofocusing using the AE-L/AF-L button on the back of the D7000 camera. See if pressing the AE-L/AF-L button causes your lens to autofocus - If so, you have your answer. You could then reset your autofocus to the shutter button if that's preferred.

Best
JA
Old 09-11-2016, 09:55 AM
Hodur (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi H,

In addition to the above, you may have inadvertently set your camera to use back button autofocus, thereby disabling autofocus on half shutter button depression, but instead autofocusing using the AE-L/AF-L button on the back of the D7000 camera. See if pressing the AE-L/AF-L button causes your lens to autofocus - If so, you have your answer. You could then reset your autofocus to the shutter button if that's preferred.

Best
JA
Dear JA,

Having attempted autofocus via the AE-l/AF-l and met with the very annoying err29 message. My next step is to visit the store I purchased the camera from, fortunately "bricks & mortor".

David
Old 09-11-2016, 10:06 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodur View Post
Dear JA,

Having attempted autofocus via the AE-l/AF-l and met with the very annoying err29 message. My next step is to visit the store I purchased the camera from, fortunately "bricks & mortor".

David
OK then - possibly a sick lens AF motor. In store - try to test your lens on another body and your body on another lens to be sure.

Good luck

Best
JA
Old 30-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Visionary (David)

Many thanks!

A huge vote of thanks to everyone who made suggestions/recommendations re my Nikon D7200.
I move at glacial pace, though without the accompanying gravitas. I have at long last resolved the issue that had been preventing me from using my wonderful piece of tech, the Nikon D7200.
Last week I purchased a 50mm AS-F Nikkor 1:1.8G second-hand lens from B&H Photography. B&H test every second-hand lens before sale, so I knew I had a lens that was 100% guaranteed to work. Attaching the 50mm to the D7200 it promptly read Err 29.....!!!!!
The upside of failing was that I knew with absolute certainty the error was with the camera. As I had tried everything & I mean everything with the camera I decided that maybe a firmware update may help, well it did! After updating my firmware the D7200 now works perfectly, every function, all modes now work! Happy days!!
Again, thanks to all those who made suggestions and recommendations.

Cheers

David